1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In DEFENSE of Alperen Sengun - Analysis on why Sengun may already be an above average defender

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Feb 7, 2023.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

he’d be in the rotation, but with that level of defense, unless he becomes some offensive beast and/or learns how to space the floor, he’ll be getting 15 mpg by game 3 only out there when the opposing bench is

Dobbizzle likes this.
  2. TimDuncanDonaut

Partly my fault to keep checking back into this thread.

Our team defense is not great. It's everyone. And we know schematically team defense is not good; blazers game comes to mind with Silas insisting on drop defense on Dame. Honing in on an individual player ends up people just speculating in circles.

This thread turned from talking defense to memes and insulting users. If there's nothing new to say; maybe we let this thread die.

p.s. I like Sengun's game, and one of the brighter spots on this miserable season, but no where I can say in confidence he's a certain boom or bust. I wish people from both sides talk less in absolutes.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

4. maypk

maypk Member

Nice try buddy but i know you prefer to call him "Satan Porter JR" because you think it's funny for some reason. Everyone knows you are a KPJ stan. Just let it go.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Why i bumped this thread is to try to figure out what the path to Sengun just being slightly below average actually looks like?

I don't know if there's a scheme that fits him and surrounding him with 4 kevin Durants doesn't seem like a legit option

6. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

the first part was a joke about how we view Sengun or how we are perceived so. Not an actual comment.

maybe he is just not comfortable taking jumpers. Entirely possible but doesn’t match with what I observe in general.

7. maypk

maypk Member

That's your opinion and unfortunately for you Dave doesn't agree with you since we're having this conversation right now. But hey If you run your own forum one day, you can get rid of them. ;)

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

[​IMG]

9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

maypk and AroundTheWorld like this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol even his biggest hater has better opinion on Sengun than Black Players Only fans...

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Even the biggest haters just ignore that Jalen Green is a MUCH worse defender than Sengun.

It's their bias.

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Here come the racist cries for attention! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reeko likes this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

14. dmoneybangbang

Aside from the function of the GARM…. I don’t see much point trying to gleam defensive stats this season.

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

i dont think its bias.
    Folks acknowledge that green is a b defender, but also notes that bad defensive guards are more easier to hide in playoffs than bad defensive center.

Sengun is gonna get played off the court comes playoff time. Harden picked on his a$$ when they played the sixer, it was quite eye openin to watch

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Dafuq does this even mean. Bad defense is bad defense. Green loses his man, defends no one except some invisible ghost in space.

The whole "Sengun will get played off the court" but "Green's ZERO DEFENSE is not so bad because he is a guard" is ridiculous. The impact is measurable. Green's negative impact on defense shows up a lot more in advanced stats.

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

this dumbass is spamming his own useless tweets from January…

MFer, we’re in March

he’s probably already posted these same tweets 50 times already

mentally ill

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

a C is the last line of defense

it’s an obvious fact that a C being horrible on defense is worse than a guard being terrible on that end

in addition to bad defense, he doesn’t even space the floor…

majicdonjuan likes this.
  20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

This is way into the future.

If u watch playoff games, usually the centers are the ones that get played off the court by the guards. It's just reality. Green sucks at defense but he can b hidden.

Curry Lillard etc aren't good defender, I would considered them poor defenders even, but their defensive weakness can b hidden.
    Meanwhile u have gobert and all dem big men get abused comes playoff time and Taken off the court. It's just reality.

It's like u forgotten all these years of harden making the big centers a liability and taken off the court