1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In Appreciation of the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dandorotik, Jan 9, 2005.

1. dandorotik

dandorotik Member

Considering the agony that us Houston Astros fans are feeling right about now, I'd like to take a moment to express my appreciation for the Houston Rockets.

Ray Knight. Frank Reich. Jerry Sichting. Chipper Jones. Joe Montana. Nate McMillan. The names have haunted Houston fans throughout the years. It always seemed like it was going to be our year- 1981, 1986, 1992- THIS was going to be the year that Houston did it, many of us kept thinking and thinking. It took perhaps the least favorite of the Big 3 franchises to bring the city its first championship. Now, instead of the Mookie Wilsons and the Thurman Thomases, we had new names: Cureton. Herrera. Cassell. Jent. Maxwell. Chucky (and no, I don't mean Barkley). And, of course, one whose moniker said it all - The Dream. We lived and died on every shot, loose ball, rebound, steal, and inbounds pass. We commiserated and huddled together around television sets in sports clubs, bars, restaurants, living rooms, backyards, and department stores. And we did it. 1994. Even when someone says that number, doesn't it still give you the chills somewhat?

And now, after another one of the greatest runs in a Houston franchise's history, we are in mourning. What if we signed Beltran, and Pettite came back at full strength? What might we be like with Beltran for a full year, with Clemens back for one more try? It hurts, just absolutely hurts, knowing what "might have been."

So, in my grief, I take solace in the fact that my favorite basketball team intends to take this thing back to the "promised land." Maybe Van Gundy will be at the helm, maybe not. Maybe a new local legend, a la Mario Elie, will emerge in the form of a John Barry or Andre Barrett. Maybe Yao will finally, finally break through and become one of the most dominant forces in basketball. Maybe McGrady will wake up one day and realize that, for this team, leading by example may not be enough, and that Jordan "got it" like he needs to.

But I'll tell you what- I feel confident knowing that my team is not going to give up on this pursuit. Other franchises may give lip service to the idea of building a champion, but that's all it is. Some franchises just get it. The Lakers get it. The Yankees get it (albeit unfairly, perhaps). The Cowboys have gotten it, for the most part.

And I think you can put the Rockets up there. Two championships, 4 trips to the Finals, a run to the Western Conference finals in 1997- I think it's safe to say that, for the most part, the Rockets have gotten it and understood that you have to be bold, take risks, and occasionally hit bottom before you can reach the ultimate objective.

So, I'd like to express my appreciation for the Houston Rockets franchise and the happiness I've felt in watching them for a good 15+ years. Thanks for Hakeem, Rudy, Calvin, Otis, Charles, Clyde, Steve, Cuttino, Yao, Tracy, Moses, and all the non all-stars that have made watching professional sports enjoyable.

Thanks, Rockets. Let's bring the trophy back where it belongs.

2. mogrod

mogrod Member

Well said.

The Rockets have been actually one of the most successful franchises in the NBA. Only the Lakers have been to the Finals more from the Western Conference. The franchise has always had a tradition of having some of the biggest names and talents associated with it and I believe it will continue with Yao & TMac.

3. Davidoff

Davidoff Member

GREAT POST!!!:D

4. windy

windy Member

good
    let's wait and see...:)

5. Pat

Pat Member
    Supporting Member

I enjoyed and agree with your post. I think all of that goes to prove good ownership.

6. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Member

SNIFF...

That's beautiful, man

7. IndianPlaya

IndianPlaya Member

Reading your post gave me goosebumps. It took me back to the glory days, the feeling of being a champion, of being the best at something. I will always remember 1995, because it was when hakeem and the glide won together. It felt like it was meant to be. They were together at UH, representing this city with the phi slamma jamma, and went to the championsihp, but couldnt get it done. Then clyde went to portland, hakeem stayed here. Then, clyde came back, and together, him and hakeem took us to the promised land. THat felt like fate, as if history had come full circly. That was beautiful... Thanks for the memories rockets!!!

8. edc

edc Member

...and they gave it all up in favor of becoming a second rate clone of the New York Knicks. (sorry, I couldn't resist)

9. tigermission1

tigermission1 Member

Here goes the infamous pessimism of EDC! ;)

Do you call T-Mac and Yao a "Knicks" team? If so, I am still proud of the team we have, and as I have said in previous thread, patience is a virtue.

--Tiger

10. Nick

Nick Member

If the Spurs win it all this year, THEY become the second most successful franchise, all-time, in the West.

That alone is enough reason to root against them.

11. saleem

saleem Member

This brilliant post gives me hope for our future.
    The Houston Rockets will shine again but we have to be patient and wish for the best.

12. dandorotik

dandorotik Member

Hey, I don't blame you, EDC. It's all about results. If the Rockets fail to meet expectations, everyone deserves blame, from Alexander on down. I just have this, I don't know, naive maybe, confidence that they will be among the elite teams again soon. The MILLION-DOLLAR question is:

How soon?

13. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Contributing Member

two thumbs and a toe up.

Yao is young...

Tracy is young...

We gave up lots to get Tracy.

It will take more than an off-season to recover.

JVG will either constructively motivate or negatively vacate by the end of the season (damn... Sir Jackie Chiles shoulda' said that one...)