1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

In all seriousness, Brian Cook could be the X Factor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rox4lyf, Apr 22, 2009.

1. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

As crazy as it sounds, theoretically Brian Cook could be an X factor in this series. Before everyone gets their flamethrowers out, let me put on my flame suit first :D

Brian Cook is a fat, soft, 3 point shooting player. Much to the mold of the beloved Mehmet Okur, except a lot worse. But, now with Dikembe out, the Rockets are at a loss of size. Chuck Hayes is 6'6" and Landry is around 6'7" or 6'8". Brian Cook is listed at 6'9". With him in the lineup, the Rockets defense may suffer a bit, but he does provide some size as a backup 4 or even 5.

However, I'm not interested in his size or seeing him play with the backups. I want to see him play the 4 alongside Yao. As bad as Cook is on defense, he is a serviceable offensive player with 3 point shooting range. On a theoretical framework, playing him alongside Yao can help solve the fronting problem, allowing Yao to dominate the paint without any help defense from Aldridge or Oden. He offers great floor spacing and decent shooting touch if they do decide to double Yao in the post.

As much as we hate on Mehmet the Flop, he does cause match-up problems for practically every NBA team because he roams around the 3 point line which draws the opposing team's shotblocker out, opening up the paint for cutters and post players. Cook's mere presence on the court will have this effect because he has proven that he can hit an open 3 pt shot. Teams will have to respect that.

Again, theoretically it works, but in real life it could prove to be a disaster or it could not. However, with the sadness of the news of Dikembe's career ending injury, I figured I would bring something fun and novel to discuss about :D

2. MYLEVL

MYLEVL Member

i wouldnt be closed minded to this. HOWEVER, its one thing to try it for the first time during the season and another to try it in the playoffs.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

good post, a lot of people hate on cook because he messes up during garbage time, but most role players do, if surrounded by the right players he can focus on doing his specialty, 3 pt shooting, and could possibly do very well....he also has some nice playoff experience from being with the lakers.

He's also a solid post defender because he's got some weight on him and although only 6-9, he's got very long arms.

4. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Maybe.......but do you really want to experiment during the playoffs?

5. acjeitherocket

yea this isnt the best time to experiment with him....

6. Herb

Herb Member

It's worth a try IMO. Cook can spread the floor on the pnr or when Yao runs the pnr. The paint will be wide open for our guards to penetrate. The only problem is on the defensive end.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

It's not much of an experiment, it's pretty simple with only a few possible outcomes. You can try it one or two times and that's about all you need to see how portland reacts to it. if they leave cook and he' hitting then it works, if he's not take him out...if they leave yao in single coverage then it works too.

8. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

I don't mind seeing him with the second unit for spot minutes, b/c when Yao goes to the bench, there's not that many options.

9. Asian Sensation

I like my steaks fat and soft not my Power forwards. You might be able to plug him in for a few minutes and based on the element of surprise hell he might even hit a 3 or two but don't expect much else.

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

If Cook is our X-factor we are doomed!

[​IMG]

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This is a great idea. He can definitely defend Przybilla when they go with the "twin towers" line-up.

He'll be wide open and create terriffic spacing for either Yao/Artest to post up or Brooks to drive.

All he has to do is set picks and nail a couple of 3-pters.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

not to mention he'll take przybilla away from the rim on def rebounds, which will be needed if we dont have deke

13. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

The moment I see Cook in any of the games this series, I will turn my tv off and wont turn it back on till the game is over.

Yeah, thats how much I hate him.

14. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

your april fool's thread is a bit late...

15. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

if anyone is the X factor this series then it's Von Wafer for sure.

16. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

The thought occurred to me that since Deke was retiring after this season and Cook has another year on his contract, that Cook maybe a candidate for the backup center spot. He has some size, not sure he ever played backup C. RA is not going to use him in the playoffs, Deke hardly played so he'll go with Chuck/Scola and Landry when Yao is out.

17. Shaud

Shaud Member

If certainly will be an X-Factor. Because if he gets in the game that means we blew Portland out.

18. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Or they blew us out.

19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I mentioned this in the thread last week. If rick carisle was as close minded as some on this board, tracy wouldn't be a 2nd rd virgin. Coach hadn't played prince all season, but down 3-1, he put prince in and he shut tracy down. Im not saying cook is going to be great or anything, but he does make the defender travel farther on the front. That's why aldridge can stay so close and basically double yao, but is close enough to scola. If you add 6 ft to that distance, u would be amazed how much of a difference that makes.

20. ibm

ibm Member

damn you almost convinced me there.

still thinking...