1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In a Single Day, the Rockets Doomed Itself To Mediocrity

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by celebrevida, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I find it interesting that so many here seem eager to write off CP3 as a huge mistake. They look at his production after being injured and unable to play for several weeks and appear to assume that it's the Chris Paul we're going to see from here on out, except he'll get worse. I don't buy it. I think he's still working to get back into game shape. Something that also has a big impact on Paul's play right now is that he has to integrate himself back into a team that has been playing with a guy, James Harden, who has been on an epic streak of All World basketball, and not just on one end of the court.

Harden's been carrying this team on his back for weeks and people think Chris can just waltz in and resume playing like it's a walk in the park? You guys are nuts. No only does Paul have to integrate himself back into the offense and defense so that his play is fluid and not forced (while getting back into NBA shape), he has to adapt to having 2 major contributors in Rivers and Faried that are new, plus the rest of the team has to get used to playing with Chris again.

That includes Harden, who's been on his historic run. All that isn't as easy as some of you seem to think, in my opinion. Give Paul some time to get back in a groove with everyone else, and give some time for the rest of the team to get used to him. If you think we don't have time for that because we've lost some games we should have won and have to claw our way back up the standings, well, that's just how it is. In my opinion.

2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Amen, Deck..Great post!

3. Senator

Senator Member

Read better.

Individual owner = Tillman.

Celtics = consortium. Collection of owners. About 7 or so.. one of them being an equity fund worth $105 billion. So no.

I've done it, Tillman's 4.5 isn't an accurate depiction of his liquidity .. tied up assets vs liquid. Les was a great owner.

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Positive, healthy vibes to Chris Paul

I.D.I.O.T.

Gonna need it over the next 3 years. ;)

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

my chick isn't even this dramatic.

Fyreball and steddinotayto like this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

AWESOME

Deckard likes this.
  8. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Kid, listen man....... when we win the chip this year....dont come crawling back. bye.

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You forget they were only $8m under the cap when they signed CP3 …. Harris contract is double that - they had no exceptions that size (Hell the Non tax MLE isn't even close) and no Bird Rights to sign a player at that cost.

How much CP3 makes is almost irrelevant …. the only thing it affects is the lux tax payment that Tilfart gets to hand over at seasons end.

Sure , there would be better ways to spend that money if it were that simple …. but its not that simple.

CCity Zero likes this.
  10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I thought it was understood that Houston/Morey/Les and Paul had an agreement of sorts to offer Paul a max extension if he opted into the last year of his contract to make the trade happen. Or was that one crucial piece of information lost on some?

Deckard, Invisible Fan and cmlmel77 like this.
  11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope you weren't calling me an idiot.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Hahahahaha :D

It deserves its own thread.

Deckard and deb4rockets like this.
  13. RCPM

RCPM Member

Salty.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

This .. It's like taking the extra money CP3 took didn't matter. You either make the deal or He's gone, I mean it was the best option the Rockets had and unless CP3 takes a pay cut of 39 mill a season there was no more cap to make a team like GSWs or something. Houston was stuck keeping Capela, I mean maybe it allowed you to keep Ariza/ previous members but it's not like they're setting the league on fire currently...

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yes, I wouldn't write off CP3 either, this could be great, (injury at beginning of the season), less gsmes, and Harden saved the season.

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

I want to know what world some people are living in where the addition of a player brought u as close as you’ve been to winning a title in YEARS, and then u just let that player leave while having no means of replacing him

let’s not act like there wasn’t an agreement in place before CP3 decided to opt in to the final year of his deal...we would still have a lack of assets and cap space if we had chosen not to re-sign Chris Paul

also, I will wait to see how much he’s able to elevate his game in the playoffs as that is where we’ll really need him

Morey should be getting blamed for the Ryno mistake which has caused us to have 20 or so mil worth of potential production just wasting away on the roster...that money just keeps going from scrub to scrub...scrub Ryno, washed Knight, and the cycle continues...that’s 1 or 2 good players that could be helping us

Deckard and BaselineFade like this.
  18. BigBum

BigBum Member

This is crazy,
    It is so easy for GS to add superstar after superstar, add immediately MLE after MLE. It is so hard for Morey to add a Full-MLE player any of the next 3 seasons.

19. BigBum

BigBum Member

There is no problem to give Paul 160 million dollars if Tilman is willing to pay repeater tax and keep both Ariza/Moute.
    It is easier to make trade now if you have both Ariza/Moute. You can just put 4 Firsts and Ariza in the market. Someone is going to take the trade.

The best for the team is 4 years 100 million
    30 million (30 million for 60 games is fair to Paul)

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

1) They got super lucky with the timing of the cap changes
    2) They had cheap superstars so they could expensive players around them

Morey got dealt a different hand from day 1. He came in with a capped out team (Yao/McGrady) and then had to rebuild when it was over without a true rebuild and never getting to draft high. He's had to work hard to manufacture a star player in Houston, which he did in Harden. But side effect of that is that he's been in a constant state of wheeling and dealing to fill out the roster without the luxury of high draft picks who became stars PLUS cap room like Golden State did.

Deckard and Plowman like this.