1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In 1994 NBA MVP Hakeem Olajuwon released a $35 sneaker instead of endorsing shoes from Nike or Reebo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DOLPHIN2k2, Jan 8, 2014.

1. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

Marbury did the same thing with Starburys and they actually looked alright. Problem is, most kids don't want those shoes no matter who the player was endorsing it. If Michael Jordan signed on with Wilson and they were only sold at Walmart or Payless, nobody would be lining up hours in advance to buy them or stealing them.

It's sad b/c it's almost like the shoe companies have to inflate the price just to make it popular.

2. RV6

RV6 Member

I also said earlier it wasn't about the endorser, but the brand..however, if someone very popular like MJ put out a cheap, but good product, then it probably would sell like crazy too...since its ask about money though, those people will always make it expensive.

3. dantian

dantian Member

Stephen Marbury did the same and has kept this line through to today. I believe he is now collaborating with some Chinese firm to do that.

4. Billionzz

Billionzz Member

That's right, try playing ball in a cheap pair of crap shoes. It make be ok if you move around like Asik, but if you're trying to move like Dmo (just kidding) Harden in spalding shoes you're game will suffer.

5. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

I remember those. My older brother got a pair. Let's just say quality matters and if you want good quality you got to spend the big bucks and sometimes be picking about brands.

6. langal

langal Member

Everyone wants Spaulding

[​IMG]

7. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Anyone gota photo of these 35 dollar shoes?

8. RV6

RV6 Member

[​IMG]

9. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

I also had the black ones with the white numbers. I remember thinking they looked awesome.