1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Impressive Run and Shoot stats

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by PhiSlammaJamma, Dec 13, 2001.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

It all begins in 1975 when
    -Mouse Davis becomes Head Coach at Portland State University
    -June Jones throws for a NCAA Division II record 3,518 yards after transferring from Hawaii.

-Portland State University Averages 49.2 points a game (NCAA record)

-The Toronto Argonauts. led by Mouse Davis, win the Grey Cup (Canada's Super Bowl)

-Jim Kelly throws for 5,311 yards-Houston scores 79 touchdowns, 618 points, and amasses 7,684
    yards-all professional records
    -Ricky Sanders and Richard Johnson become the first teammates in professional football history to have
    1,000 yard seasons

Jason Phillips and James Dixon,
    of the University of Houston, become first duo in collegiate history to catch one hundred passes apiece

Most yards gained in one game by a team, 1021, U.H.. The 4 digit record crashed the computers because they could only enter 3 digits. It cost the NCAA thousands to rewrite the stat program.

Chuck Weatherspoon averages 9.6 years per carry (NCAA record)(Univ. of Houston)

Manny Hazard catches 142 passes (NCAA record) for 22 touchdowns (NCAA record)(Univ. of Houston)

Andre Ware gains 510 yards in one half (NCAA record)

-Houston Oiler Warren Moon throws for 527 yards in one game (second most in N.F.L. history)

-University of Houston quarterback David Klingler throws six touchdown passes in one quarter versus
    Louisiana Tech

-David Klingler breaks or ties 33 season NCAA records including:Single season record for Total Offense (5221 yards)Most touchdown passes in a season (54)

-David Klingler throws for 716 yards passing versus Arizona State (NCAA record)

-David Klingler throws 11 touchdown passes vs. Eastern Washington (NCAA record)

David Klingler average 475 yards per game all by himself (NCAA record).

Most yards gained by two players in one game is 1,375 yards. Matt Volger TCU and David Klingler.

Most TD passes per game, Klingler 5 NCAA record)

Most Passes without an interception 68, Klingler (NCAA record).

-Three N.F.L. (Detroit, Atlanta, Houston) teams make the playoffs with the Run and Shoot as their
    offense

-Warren Moon breaks N.F.L. record with 404 completions

1995-The Atlanta Falcons become the first team to have a 4,000+ yard passer (Jeff George), a 1,000+
    yard rusher (Craig Heyward), and three 1,000+ yard receivers (Eric Metcalf, Terrance Mathis, and Bert
    Emanuel)

Some very dismal stats:
    Fewest yards gained by a winning team, 10. North Caroline won 13-0.

Northern Illinois was -109 yards rushing for a whole game.

Texas Tech punted 39 times in one game

Wichita St. Fumbled 17 times

Nebraska gave up 3 safeties in one game.

Southern California had every type of kick blocked in one game.

NorthWestern had 3 punts blocked in one quarter

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Don't forget about the Oilers dismal playoff record with Warren Moon as QB...2-8? 2-9?

Oh well, at least we got to see Buddy Ryan smack Kevin Gilbride in the face...

Don't the Rams run some version of the Run and Shoot? I know they have a lot of 4 and 5 WR sets...

3. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

A-train: Thanks for reminding me... I'm glad I didn't stop watching the NFL until AFTER I saw that game... :) Have there been any other good intra-team fights on national television in the last few years? I've been out of the loop.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It works, I am surprised that some of the smaller schools don't use it anymore.

I would bet anything that the U of H wishes they still used it.

How did Hawaii do this year with June Jones?

DaDakota

5. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

Do you know who they beat and when this happened?

I am just curious.

6. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Hawaii beat an undefeated an hugely overrated BYU squad.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Here's another stat...NCAA championships and Super Bowls won with the Run and Shoot-0

8. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Hawaii scored something like 72 points on BYU to spoil their undefeated season.

Speaking of run-and-shoot, I recently saw <b>Andre Ware</b> doing sideline commentary at a college football game. That was new to me.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

I don't know what happened in that North Carolina game where they only gained 10 yards and won, but I bet it was interesting. I found it in the NCAA record books.

10. deepellumrocket

But Texas and Oklahoma have both won national championships running the wishbone, and we see how popular that offense is today.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Rocketman95....

What about the RAMS SuperBowl, they are essentially running a version of the Run and shoot.

NEXT !!!

DaDakota

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Man, those are some great memories. Thanks. UH sure was fun to watch there for a few years.

13. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Does SMU still run the run-and-shoot? I think it could still be a very viable offense, in the pros or college.

The Rams do run a lot of R&S-type packages, but I wouldn't call it a true run and shoot. They utilize the tight end a decent amount (Conwell) and also use a fullback some. That's probably a good thing - the downside of the Oilers system was that they were inflexible and never used any offensive package other than 4 wides.

Still, I used to love watching UH and the Oilers back in the day. I'd much rather see a wide-open passing attack than a boring ground control offense.

14. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Didn't Oklahoma and Florida win MNC's using the spread offense?

What is the difference between the spread and R&S besides the name?

15. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

The R&S days at UH bring bad memories to most fans because the Coogs used to run up the score on their opponents. UH scored 95 on SMU and almost put up a 100 on Eastern Washington. Remember the air raid siren that would go off in the Dome when the Coogs would score many many times.

Now UH knows how it feels like.

16. PhiSlammaJamma

The SMU game was hilarious. Remember the Cheerleaders had to do a push up for each score. It added up to like well over 500 push ups in less than 3 hours. The last set being 95. Damn.

17. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Don't know if you guys remember this but one of those teams that UH used to regularly pound was none other than Florida State University. My how times have changed.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I went to high school with Jimmy Klingler and Sherman Smith...

I knew David Klingler fairly well...David was one of the nicest people I have ever known. Just an amazing person.

19. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

I was wondering how they could put up 1021 yards in a game or pass for 715. I figured either the defense was the worst ever and they had to or they just kept running it up (which apparently they did), which seems wrong. I mean continuously passing the ball and scoring 95!!!! However, if I had gone to UH I would've loved it. I really can't even fathom 95 points being scored. How ridiculously efficient can you be. Anyway some of those records are just sick.

20. Major

Major Member

<B>Texas Tech punted 39 times in one game </B>

How is this even possible? That means they punted, regained possession, and went through 3 more downs every 1 1/2 minutes for an entire game?!??!