1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Important note

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by vj23k, Jun 9, 2001.

1. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Since we are creating a window after the season, before the playoffs, there will probably be a bunch of trades.

But, I think it would be kind of cheap, if we were allowed to "rent players"

For Example(The teams chosen were just the first that popped in my head)The Lakers really want to win, so they send their second round pick for Raef Lafrentz of the Raptors, the Raptors make this deal, since they know they will get him back in a future deal with the Lakers, and land a free draft pick.

Any way we could prevent this?

------------------
    President of the Committee to prevent the drafting of Gerald Wallace
    "You know who the best rebounder in Chicago is? The trainer chasing all of Wallace's missed shots."------NBAtalk

2. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Establish a trade deadline. After 60-70 games, the only teams that can trade are those that have been eliminated from the playoffs.

------------------
    "I always thought it was something that went around my house"
    - World B. Free on Defence

3. kbm

kbm Member

Not sure I understand, but Lafrentz goes nowhere in a deal for a second round pick, and even if someone who was out of the playoff picture did do a trade for future considerations -- I say all's fair in love and war. Its essentially a trade, so what's the beef?

------------------
    I am an invisible man.

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The point of the week off is to allow teams to try and make a last minute push for the playoffs. We need to keep this as realistic as possible, and in real life, players are almost rented at times. Look at the Astros move for Randy Johnson in 1998-- they knew they didn't stand much of a chance to keep him and that after the playoffs they would give him up for nothing, but they gave Seattle compensation to essentially rent him for the playoffs. If some team wants to do that here, I don't think we should stop it...

------------------
    President of the Mo Taylor and Jason Collier fan club!

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

5. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

im with cat on this one
    the team that goes for broke will feel the repercussions later, exactly like the randy johnson trade

------------------
    How Sweet It Is! How Sweet It Is!
    Gene Peterson on the rockets winning the 1995 championship over the Orlando Magic

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cat, I am not sure if you fully understood what vj was saying.

Say this situation occured.

I trade BGM Eddie Jones, Allen Houston, and basically my whole team for Fred Hoiberg.

He goes through the playoffs, whatever.

After the playoffs, he trades my entire team back to me, along with a 2nd rounder (or something, this is the "rental price") for Fred Hoiberg.

BGM gets way better, and I get a 2nd rounder, so thre are no real "losers", but this whole strategy seems like amateur wussy crap to me. Should a situation like this really be allowed?

------------------
    CC.NET Sim League Web Page
    My Team (Sonics)

Runnin', Ravin', Endin', Out.

7. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

now if were only talking bout a deal where a team rents guys for nothing and has a contingent trade to get them back after the yr for nothing that shouldnt be allowed..u have to give something to get someone in my opinion

------------------
    How Sweet It Is! How Sweet It Is!
    Gene Peterson on the rockets winning the 1995 championship over the Orlando Magic

8. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

That's collusion, and Cat is sensible enought to spot something that obvious and nix such a deal.

------------------
    .,.·^*'´'|'\..........,.·^*'´¯¯¯'`*^·,...,/|'`*^·-,
    '|.......'|::\......,·'.....,.·:*:·,......'`i:'|.......|
    '|.......'|:::|.....;.......':,:::,:·.......';:|.......|
    '|.......|::;i - ·;i'`:,......¯¯.......,·´|::|.......|
    '|.......'´.......'|'i:::`*:~·.–·~^*'´: :'|::|.......'`*·-,
    '|........,.-:^:':'\:'`:;:: :: : : : :: ::;·'i::/`':^·.,......`'i
    '|..,.:'´:::::::::::'\| '`*^~·:–:·~^*'´..'|/:::::::::'`:^:., |
    '´:;:::::::::;:-·^*'´.....................`'*^·:;-.....:;·'
    ....`·;:·'´........................................'`^·:;·´

9. The Cat

I'm not dumb-- I won't allow any stacking of teams, etc. for the playoffs, and I hope none of you would do that for a second round draft pick or anything-- don't waste your time. Most of you should be proud enough for the work you've done on your teams that you'd want to put your real team out there anyway.

------------------

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's what I figured, Cat. I was just making sure your previous post wasn't stating that you thought it was okay.

You are an awesome guy, and would never let anything like that slip by you. I am so glad you are running this league, because no one else could do it better...

Can I have Keith Van Horn for Albert Cheaney? [​IMG]

------------------
    CC.NET Sim League Web Page
    My Team (Sonics)

Runnin', Ravin', Endin', Out.

11. The Cat

Raven,

Thanks a bunch... the league has really gone past my expectations too. I knew what flaws other sim leagues I had participated in had, and I knew that we could do better here with the people from CC.net participating, but I never thought it'd get this popular. Everyone here is doing a great job.

And by the way, on the trade offer, I'm more interested in Allan Houston. [​IMG]

------------------