1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Impact of the Lottery Draw on the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BMoney, May 20, 2008.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

forget what i posted, you're right.

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I would rather have Hinrich than Calderon. Hinrich can match up defensively with PG's and SG's while Calderon would be a defensive liability. Although I am aware that our awesome team defense would make Calderon not look as bad, we need to realize that we are continually getting killed by PG's such as Paul, Williams, etc and I think having Calderon would expose even more the Rockets inability to defend the elite PG's of the West.

If Hinrich were available, I rather chase him. He had one bad season, but he is still young and I am pretty sure he is bound to have a bounce back year.

3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

If he is a BYC player then we would just have to wait till June 30th when that BYC status expires. I think per CBA rules that BYC status only lasts a year.

4. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

ya'll need to stop overrating landry. there are several reasons why we wont go into the mle for him:
    1. he has knee issues.
    2. he doesnt get that much national exposure.
    3. there are plenty of free agents that have had better careers and will command more money.
    4. morey will match anything so that is a deterant for anyone to offer him money.
    5. he is a second rounder and he's not gonna make more than a lottery pick the same year he was drafted in is going to make. That pretty much makes a mockery of the slotting system if his agent asks for more.

The bi-annual is going to be the perfect amount to offer him. It give him compensation for us lowballing him. Its a short contract to give him more freedom to be a free agent and get more money in a couple years when money is going to be available and give the rockets his bird rights to offer him a bigger contract.

As far as heinrich goes, i say go for it if you can get rid of the bobby jackson, luther head trash at the same time as getting kirk..... i say go for it.

5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Although I do agree with your reasoning, you must also think about big men such as Kwame and Darko getting big deals. I know Morey has threatened to match, but I bet someone tries to offer Landry the MLE seeing if Morey will stick to what he says. Landry showed his worth this past season and I don't see him just taking the Bi-Annual exception. I hope the Rockets can't get him for cheap, but when I am trying to think about this team future I am just assuming that Landry might get an MLE deal if some team out there decides to tests the Rockets FO.

6. FFz

FFz Member

You guys are aiming at the wrong PG!! We want Thabo! Yes thats right! The man JVG said we would have picked ahead of Rudy Gay! Thabo Sefolosha!

Length, athleticism, speed, and bball IQ. The man has it all! Get on it morey!

Landry sign and trade for Thabo FTW!!

7. Nelly

Nelly Member

He's not a good shooter. He doesn't have it all.

8. saleem

saleem Member

Big Shot Bob's reasoning is right like you said. This situation looks somewhat similar to James Posey's. He wasn't getting the money he wanted and Jerry West offered him the entire MLE which wasn't matched otherwise he might have remained with the team. I think our rivals will go beyond the LLE just to deny us the full use of the MLE but probably won't give the entire amount that they can offer Landry either. Morey will probably match it unless he gets someone really good unexpectedly.

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

I think this off-season the question won't be if they keep him but if they will overpay him. His BYC status might make it too hard to do a S&T at the least it might limit the number of teams as trading partners.

These scenarios might work salary-wise.

Landry ($5.45M/BYC) + Alston + Head = Hinrich

Landry ($5.45M/BYC) + Jackson + Brooks = Hinrich

10. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

I thought Thabo was a shooting guard...maybe I'm wrong. Thabo had a "break out" year this year and he was solid, but not super impressive. I'd much rather have Heinrich, despite his bad season last year his past performance shows him to be a solid PG.

11. SuperKev

SuperKev Member

Hinrich has never played good ball. He had one decent season in 5. Statistically he's little improvement over Alston. He is however an 80%+ FT shooter. I don't know why we would have an interest in him.

12. weslinder

weslinder Member

I'd love this. Hinrich is the second-best defensive PG in the league, and the best at defending the pick-and-roll. He's one of the best I've ever seen at fighting through the pick. He's not really a penetrator, but he's a good shooter, and he's good at setting up the offense.

13. ibm

ibm Member

huh?????????????????????

14. jump shooter

jump shooter Member

Exactly, Beasley is the no brainer pick for the bulls, there biggest hole is a go to low post scorer in the block. Why on earth would they take Rose.

15. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I hate making assumptions that they're going to move him when there's a good chance they won't, but if they do move him, this may be an opportunity for the Rockets. Is he an upgrade over Rafer? Clearly. But is he enough of an upgrade to justify the cost and years? 4 years, $36+ million is a lot of jack. Also, the Rockets don't have much after 2010 so I wonder what Daryl Morey is thinking.

To throw in some video -- This is Hinrich in Game 5 of last year's playoffs against the Pistons... a Bulls rout in Detroit.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uhU5-VHUCxw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uhU5-VHUCxw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

16. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Member

I think Hinrich is a guy that would greatly benefit from a change of scenery. I'm not as enamored with him as a lot of posters on the BBS, but if he gets moved, I'd put money down on him having a much better season than the previous year.

17. SuperKev

SuperKev Member

Rafer Alton
    FG% 39.4 3PT 35.1% RPG 3.5 APG 5.3 SPG 1.3 FT% 71.5

Kirk Hinrich
    FG% 41.4 3PT 35.0 RPG 3.3 APG 6.0 SPG 1.2 FT% 83.1

Both are good defenders but c'mon now. People love to over-inflate prospective Rocket recruits.

My take is this - if we're going to allow our PG to take 407 3PT field goal attempts per year (it was 529 last year) - we better have someone who can hit them.

18. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Kirk would be a dream come true imo.

But I don't think it will happen. Mostly because the rockets don't have what it takes to land him. Even if they decided to take Rose I don't think they'd ship him off for pretty much just expirings.

But I do think Rose is the best of this class fwiw.

19. Rocket 914

Rocket 914 Member

Tyrus Thomas would be a good target, he'll be the athlete-finishing around the basket/blocking/running the break... He'll benefit being around Tmac and Yao just as Landry does

20. pmac

pmac Member

I'm happy that everyone agrees he's such an upgrade. I though people would look at his shooting percentages and think he's about the same. The numbers don't show everything, he is a much better shooter than Alston even though his fg% would say he's only slightly better. I'm surprised no one's said Beno Udrih is a better option, he has much better shooting percentages :rolleyes: .

I hope this is the thread that kills that argument. I'm so tired of reading "this guy is better, look at his shooting percentage." It really cheapens the game IMO. :mad: