1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Immigration

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by trueroxfan, Apr 2, 2012.

1. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

2. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

What does the rest of the article say?

Come out with it.

That immigrants suffer from being substitutable with other immigrants, but that native citizens actually benefit from immigration overall? This is an assertion that is heavily backed up by academic research.

3. rage

rage Member

That alone is enough to debunk your data.
    Yet there are more. Keep reading.

4. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

My assertion is that native citizens benefit from immigration overall. The study supports that. Case in point, done.

Here, read over these, while you're at it.

http://www.nber.org/papers/w14683

http://economistsview.typepad.com/economistsview/2007/08/david-card-on-i.html

http://www.hbs.edu/research/pdf/09-013.pdf

5. Raven

Raven Member

The US has enough people, especially poor uneducated deeply religious people, but wall street needs serfs and politicians need cheap votes, so nothing changes.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is very very unlikely a 100 million Chinese will fly to Mexico even if the US had an open Southern border.

7. rage

rage Member

You can shout all you want but that is not true.

8. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you. It is foolish to attempt to gather up all the illegal immigrants and send them away. The smartest way is to penalize the buisness owners. If the illegal immigrants cannot get jobs, they will stop coming.

9. rage

rage Member

You can shout all you want but that is not true.

You also made a sweeping statement about ALL immigrants. That is a "Sleight of hand" as the least.
    You can talk about immigrants with no English, no HS education or you can talk about immigrants with higher education, engineers, doctors .... Which is it?

10. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Make it easy to get in legally and difficult to get in illegally. Right now it's the opposite.

11. Hightop

Hightop Member

Business owners should not be given immigration police burdens.

12. rage

rage Member

Do you want to bet?

13. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Sounds like Made in USA is back!

14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Its a stupid bet because it is predicated on a change in policy that hasn't happened.

Anyway most people in the PRC cannot afford to go to Mexico and the people who would want to take advantage of the US opening its Southern border here are not going to be well off Chinese. Believe it or not not everyone wants to come here. Chinese who are doing well in China are going to want to stay in China.

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Since I've got a little time I took a quick peak at some stats that show how improbable your scenario is logistically. For the sake of argument let's presume the US has opened it's Southern Border and that 100 Million Chinese can somehow afford to fly to Mexico.

1st consider Benito Juarez is the only airport in Mexico that handles flights from Asia. For 2011 it handled 26 million passengers total. It is highly unlikely that it could handle a fourfold increase in a short period for passengers coming from just one country.

2nd Mexico's population is 113 million. For a country that already has infrastructure problems there is no way they could handle almost doubling their population even if it is only for a short period.

Even if 100 million Chinese could afford to get to Mexico Mexico themselves would shut off their border long before it got to that number.

1 person likes this.
  16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

We don't need to make it easier to get here legally. We need to make it more fair.

What we need is to make work visa's easier to obtain and maintain if we wish to keep our cheap slave-like work force legal.

17. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

It takes more than a year usually to get citizenship. That's too long. It encourages people to just take the easy route and walk across the border.

18. rage

rage Member

And this is your argument? You hope Mexico will help us out by closing their border?
    These are simple things and you guys just don't seem to understand, it's futile ...

19. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

a year? I have friends who have been trying to get citizenship since I met them, they had immigration lawyers and everything.

i also have a friend who was brought here as a child, tried to get citizenship and was nearly deported.

from what i gather it takes many years to go through the proper channels.

today i am listening to this girl talk about immigration, grant you this girl was raised in kuwait, but is like mexican or something. she was ranting about how we should kick the immigrants out and how muslims need to be kicked out and stuff, i was absolutely in shock i didnt even know what to say, so i just ignored her and watched game of thrones.

i think the best point about immigration that has been brought up here is the fact that the us' foreign policy is never involved with the build up of other countries. we have no problem interfering if they have something we want, or if it threatens us, or even if we see a possibility of an easier leader to deal with. why not spend the money and effort, the trillions of dollars spent on the war, bring some of that back home, and spend the rest improving mexican security, mexican industries, and such. then maybe you wont have so many people illegally crossing.

i don't blame the illegals, they are usually doing it for their families, some people come here alone and send everything back home, these people need help, but we need to know who is here, there has to be a better solution.

20. False

False Member

Where are you getting this number? It takes 5 years after you get LPR status (Green card) for you to be eligible to naturalize. Unless you are an LPR married to a US citizen, then it takes 3 years. It usually takes around a year depending on the office to actually process your citizenship application after you submit. Add to that the time it takes people to get LPR status (green card). The waiting time to get a LPR status is enormous if you are going the family sponsored visa route. Check the Visa Bulletin for Mexico; we are currently processing family petitions for unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens from 08MAY93. Of course family based petitions are not the only way to get LPR status, but they are one of the main avenues people think about. Some people aren't even eligible to get LPR status at all because they don't qualify for anything and have no qualifying family members who can petition for them.

No, these are not simple things and you seem to unwilling to even think about their complexity. Northside Storm and Rocketsjudoka are wasting their time responding to you when you haven't even tried to grapple with the issue.