1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Immigration Crisis in Europe - what should be done?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, it's probably good that you don't run a nation, you seemingly completely ignore context in this instance, context that cannot be ignored. It's one thing for Germany or Greece to take in refugees from Syria, they don't have the recent history that Israel and Syria do.

I'm pretty sure if you really think about it, you'll understand.

They are potential threats from an enemy nation. Pretty much means that you won't be taking any of them in, especially given that there's not just a whole lot of space in Israel to begin with.

Honestly this topic is fairly ridiculous.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They would generate some positive PR if they stopped stealing another people's land bit by bit. That's why people don't see Israel in a positive light - because against UN resolutions they are invading and conquering another land.

Just because Palestinians are Muslim doesn't make it ok for them to be ethnically cleansed out of the West Bank. You are ok with this and justify it.

And by the way, I do think we need to go to full out war with ISIS. They are a bigger threat than the Taliban and Al Qaeda were combined.

3. malakas

malakas Member

and? What is your point? I said it makes an impression i didn't say it wasn't explainable. I didn't say that help should be denied to them based on their phone. I explained why it hits the eye.
    And You know what else they should have? Thousands of dollars that they spent in turkish/north african middlemen.I don't know the term in english. We call them illegal sellers.
    The people who take 2.000 dollars a head to fit in a tiny boat that often sinks.
    These people have made huge fortune and the EU the US and the UN have done nothing to stop it. And of course the local authorities are bribed heavily to look the other way.

And may I repeat that the Syrians are NOT all the illegals. I would be surprised if they are even 50% of them. There are more Afghans Baglandeshi and Pakistani and Northern Africans. Most are lying and trying to pass off as Syrians as well.

So by your logic France shouldn't accept even one after the current context right? And if KNOCK ON WOOD something happens in Germany , they should close their borders and kick them all out right?

4. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">At least two such cases have been identified. This poses a major security threat. <a href="https://twitter.com/Absolutely_Prit">@Absolutely_Prit</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/SirZaidHamid">@SirZaidHamid</a> <a href="http://t.co/37IqGtl5VM">pic.twitter.com/37IqGtl5VM</a></p>&mdash; GodHatesFAQs (F.J.) (@MrPolyatheist) <a href="https://twitter.com/MrPolyatheist/status/641295187495518208">September 8, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

To accept hundreds of thousands or hell even tens of thousands of refugees from this area without vetting who the heck they are and whatever extremist histories they might have is nuts. Even if one in one hundred refugees, probably low, is somehow tied with the kind of religious extremism that is widespread in Syria/Iraq then that's a hell of a security risk. I wouldn't let any of them in without checking them out thoroughly.

These filthy rich Saudis will pay for "refugee camps" but won't take in their fellow Muslims so Europe and the US have to step in on this nonsense? Whatever.

6. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Would you do the same to Mexicans entering the U.S.?

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Absolutely, anyone entering the U.S.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well at least this time around you are talking about things within the last 100 years, so that's a step in the right direction. You don't quite fully grasp the concept of "current problems" quite yet, but you are getting closer.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I think there is a risk that groups like ISIS would exploit the situation and have a few of themselves join the flood of refugees. It's a logical thing to do if you are hell bent on getting sleepers over to the west. And they are.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

They could sell their smartphones to buy some food. But, that phone is probably the best tool they have to get news, communicate with family, be contacted by government or aid organizations, maybe even work, and ultimately move on to a a sustainable situation where they aren't a burden to the locals they've barged in on. I can understand the image may be jarring, but you want these guys to have cellphones. They will be less of a problem because of them.

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Them having a phone means nothing. What.. you think only beggars needed security?

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I think they equate refuge with being poor. They don't get that these are people fleeing a war zone. If Mexico invaded Texas and everyone fled, I guess they would leave their cell phones behind. :rolleyes:

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Agree with both these posts.

14. malakas

malakas Member

You didn't answer the question you quoted. Why should Europe or any country accept this immigrants since the western world is in danger of terrorism by Islamists the same way Israel is?
    If Israel is justified in their complete disregard and neglect then the same applies to Europe. So I guess we should just let these refugees, women and children die. Ship them all back to Syria in the middle of the war zone.

It has already happened. They caught one two weeks ago.
    Of course. No problem with their cellphone just why it made an impression.

What you people sitting comfortambly behind your computers in usa fail to understand is the cost and damage these refugees do to the local eonomy. This week alone they cost hundreds of thousands of dollars in loss from tourism when multiple cruise ships changed their route from the islands to go elsewhere. (Probably turkey. The land that sends them off here, while profiting on top :rolleyes: ). And that's not including the unrest and the government cost in taking care of them. And the government doesn't have any money to spend in the first place.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Israel took in Palestinian refugees as a result of the Oslo Peace Accords. The goodwill there dried up pretty fast and created some nasty chain of events (understatement).

They pretty much have nothing to win here. Israel takes some refugees in, then people will say "they haven't done enough" or some bat**** crazy response like "it's a conspiracy to help deflect their role in the situation".

I don't generally like what the rightwing Israeli government does, but I can't fault them for their inaction. Nations are free to make their own choices, and outside people are free to judge those actions, but neither responses are strongly bound together.

This reminds me of the Obamaphone "scandal". Cellphones are pretty crucial in this day and age, and I understand your point that the "optics" of the situation doesn't look good when refugees flaunt their previous wealth or status symbols. Some might even have a decently sized bank account despite being dressed in rags.

But you know what, there's a higher chance that's a good thing for the host nation as opposed to the chances of successful integration when a refugee is dirt poor.

That's an EU problem right? As long as you're operating with individual national sovereignty, then you'll get these regional divides in authority and funding. Border states in the fomfotable US go through the same situation and the people living there are more intolerant of illegal immigrants than their northern counterparts. Sentiment is slowly changing as immigrants trickle northward to find better opportunities. Just some foreshadowing for the EU if they're paying attention.

This should and will likely be treated as a fundamental issue for the EU moving forward.

As a sidenote, maybe this will also shine attention on Hungary being ruled by an increasingly illiberal government.

#135 Invisible Fan, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It's a prejudice type of altitude. They are a different type of people (not even talking about refugee, just people). Once that's your mental altitude, some thing, such as a cell phone, is highlighted as a reconfirmation of why those type of people are undeserving. We see it all the time with how the privilege and "real" American treats other group of citizen here in the US. And how some citizen of all type in the US treat illegal immigrants, even children, as undeserving of having a chance. Comes down to being fear and protective of their social and economic advantage and privilege, which is itself understandable. Who would want to risk that? Not many.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The part I bolded is the part you don't seem to understand. "The Western world" isn't in danger of terrorism by Islamist in the same way Israel is. Israel is in much greater danger of terrorism by Islamists. It's a distinction you have to recognize.

18. Exiled

Exiled Member

Not so Surprised you agree on less informative comments.

Saudi announced today that they hosted more than 2 million refuges from Yemen /Syria , but they did't make it sound like it was a big burden nor bragged about it.

The thing we have is on one side it's a humanitarian crises and one the other side, Assad and his allies uses this technic to vacuum his opponent out of the country .

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Saudi Arabia doesn't take Syrian refugees as refugees. They take Syrians on worker visas. These Syrians might well be refugees, or at least it'd be a bad idea for them to return to Syria nowadays. So, I think what Saudi is doing taking them as workers is a good thing and helps with the problem. But, they don't have all the protections that somebody coming as a refugee would have.

I get that, though I also recognize that I don't have to deal with that the way you might. It sucks and no one asked for it. It's like getting hit by a big earthquake or hurricane. But, there's 4 million people who are running away from an ugly war. Just as the personal costs I face don't compare to the costs Hungarians (for example) face, the Hungarian cost is likewise small compared to the Syrian cost if they don't move. So, these countries pretty much have to deal with the refugees anyway, and it makes about as much sense complaining about the refugees as it does complaining about a hurricane. But, also like a natural disaster, I'd like to see affluent countries like mine step up and take on refugee burdens and to help pay the costs. The US does take on a large share of the burden, taking 70k refugees per year in our regular course of business, and maintaining a $3B fund for refugees -- I think its the case that we significantly dwarf other countries' commitments on both counts. I don't know if that's enough, and I wouldn't mind seeing us do more in light of the current crisis.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

That's a gross exaggerated number. Saudi Arabia claims that since 2011, it has allowed in 500,000 Syrians on work permits or allowed those already in Saudi Arabia to overstay.

Those aren't refugees.