1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Immigration Crisis in Europe - what should be done?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Faust

Faust Member

I know you love all things Sunni Islam but take off your shiny gold glasses and explain this. From what I understand these Gulf countries don't give anyone citizenship. They like to talk about their Moslem brothers but when it comes to brotherhood France is more friendly to the refugees.

[​IMG]

2. malakas

malakas Member

I'm talking about the islands of the Aegean . Specifically the biggest problem is in the island of Lesvos. I had family coming back from vacation from there yesterday. There are an estimated 20.000 immigrants on the island. The islands' local population is around 60.000. So there are immigrants that around 1/3 of the locals. And keep coming every day by the thousands. It's impossible to accomodate all these people, feed them and account them and then ship them and the last two days there are beginning to start riots between the Afgans and the Syrians and the police. So don't be surprised to hear about big riots that make the international news in the following week.
    The ship that the government has hired can carry only a maximum of 2000 (and it's actually one of the biggest) and it also gets immigrants from other islands on route. And it arrives every two days to the islands.

As for assimiliation.. the Syrians are in general litterate and educated. They mostly speak english men AND women. Most of them are moving in families with children. I don't think that anyone ofc can learn german in small amount of time so it will take many years but I also think it's unfair to compare them to the immigrants from Turkey from 40 years ago.
    The biggest difference is that these people are the refugees of WAR. I think their incentive and eagerness of relative assimilation will be MUCH bigger than some other historic paradigms.

3. Exiled

Exiled Member

Do you think Jordan, Egypt, Lebanon or Turkey would fund those refuge camp on their own , 3 of those countries rely completely on GCC donation

4. malakas

malakas Member

Not surprised at all. A large part of the Syrian society wasn't radicalised and lived in harmony and peace alongside a significant Syrian christian population for millenia AND had a pretty powerful christian church. They accepted christian refugees from other arab countries that were fleeing in fear of their lives. Before the war they had developed a religious tourism industry at least in the orthodox countries. I still regret that I missed my chance to join a trip there before the war,and now many of the sites like Palmyra or the MAGNIFICENT underground market in Allepo are lost forever.

Then you have ISIS and their attrocities destroying the country and fleeing from war..you have to do whatever it takes to improve your family's and children's chances for survival and for a better life. And if they feel like if they can pass off like Syrian christians or convert can improve that then why is it surprising.
    For someone who isn't radical or very religious ?

5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Well Israel won't be taking refugees. Ethnic purity, racism, the "Jewish" state doncha know. Not very Christian. Very selective memory of the fate of many of the refugee status of their own families.

One country that won't be taking Syrian refugees: Israel
    Los Angeles Times‎ -
    http://www.latimes.com/world/middleeast/la-fg-syrian-refugees-israel-20150906-story.html

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday rejected a call to host refugees from Syria and ... U.S. response to refugee crisis is nowhere near that of Europe

One country that won't be taking Syrian refugees: Israel
    Los Angeles Times‎ - 13 hours ago

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday rejected a call to host refugees from Syria and ... U.S. response to refugee crisis is nowhere near that of Europe.

The US should be similarly shamed as we, have encouraged the civil war and kept the Syrian government from winning the civil war confusedly backing or arming groups like Al Qaeda and the precursors to ISIS in their and our attempt to overthrow Assad. the United States should be taking many refugees and not just a few.

6. glynch

Whether they and we are less welcoming or not tens or even hundreds of millions will become climate, political or poverty refugees fleeing for survival and a better life.

Yeah, anyone with half a brain knows that ignorantly failing to provide free contraception and other obvious help but never failing to provide modern arms for conflicts to these countries and other stupidities add up to a refusal to help these countries develop.

7. glynch

It is also telling that the countries accepting zero refugees, including Israel are our great allies that we sell lots of arms to.

8. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I've seen Israel brought up a few times so I'm curious.....does anyone actually think Israel should take on enemy refugees or is it more of a "I hate Israel so I want to take any opportunity to bash them fairly or unfairly" type of situation?

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

It would be the Christian thing to do.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It's the latter, of course.

Israel is a tiny country which is already very densely populated and which is clearly under threat from Islamists. The last thing they need is more domestic terrorism. In contrast to Saudi Arabia and Qatar, Israel did also not fund Sunni Islamists who have been murdering scores of people.

glynch is just using this opportunity to express his hate against Israel yet another time.

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Don't think I have heard of "enemy refugees" ever. Enemy alien come close. That's how the US treated the Japanese in the US during the WWII, something the US has regretted greatly and apologized for.

Refugees are people that been forced to escape war, persecution or some natural disaster. They aren't enemy. They are running and trying to find safe harbor. I'm quite sure they are more concern about their livelihood and their children future than anything else.

To treat such a group as "enemy" is inhuman.

I don't know why Israel aren't taking in Syrian refugees. Whatever their reasons, I would imagine it's grounded in some logic. It could be because they see others will help to security concern with a massive influx, whatever. But, if it's because they see a suffering people on the run as just "enemy", it would be below human dignity.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Israel will never take on any non-Jewish person.

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Israel should probably take in some Yazidis or something, so that people like glynch have to stop their hate propaganda.

16. malakas

malakas Member

so every muslim is now an enemy to Israel? Good to know.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, are you serious? If they viewed refugees from a nation that they have had innumerable conflicts with spanning the entire history of Israel being a nation as anything but enemies they'd be complete morons. Just because someone is a refugee that doesn't mean they aren't a potential threat. You can have sympathy for someone else's plight without being stupid about it.

Nations that haven't had multiple wars and innumerable skirmishes with Syria should be much more willing to take on the burden of those refugees. Expecting Israel to is pretty foolish.

18. malakas

malakas Member

OOOHH. So if a disaster and a catastrophe happened to Finland Sweden shouldn't accept them since they have had multiple wars and innumerable skirmises spanning hundreds of years. Never mind that these refugees might be mothers with small children.
    In fact European countries should right now close all their borders to other Europeans.
    We are all enemies in history afterall.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Relevant part bolded for you. Israel is currently under threat from Islamism. That said, they could probably generate some positive PR from taking on some carefully selected refugees, Muslims included.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Germany is hating it -- ouch.