1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

IMHO, the growing frustration in America is about MORE than.....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BrotherFish, Mar 30, 2010.

1. BrotherFish

BrotherFish Contributing Member

Not trolling at all. I was born in India, a Christian conservative Indian, lived in Houston for the more than 35 years, and grew up in the one of the "hoods" with mostly other minorities. I was bullied as a kid for simply being a "super minority", called a sandn****er by other minorities.

I have not let all that detract from the achieving the American dream. I realize the Constitution and Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights define the REAL America.

I work harder that all my peers and therefore when times get tough--I get still get to keep my job. I just started working for a company that has over 3000 employees, but its 80% white and has a redneck tilt--however, I still am excelling because I have decided to Assimilate into American culture. Once, “the so called rightwing nuts” identify you as "hard working" and assimilating into American culture--they naturally tend to forget your race. I have the whole gambit of experience to justify my viewpoints.

I just wanted to get a feel of political leanings of the members on this board.

It is no real surprise that those are on the center right AND in the majority in America feel too intimated to express their viewpoints because those that lean towards the extreme left come storming down and start labeling them as leftwing nuts and racist.

Finally, since my thread was so inflammatory, please show me even one thread from the past on this board that is center-right ideology (which happens to be the classification of the majority of Americans per any poll out their) and where those on the center-right are not instantly labeled as rightwing nuts on this board? Furthermore, if my thread was so polarizing, show me a thread that was fair and balanced with good discussion points from on both sides of the issue.

Based on the feedback so far from this thread, I now have a fairly good idea of the answer to this question.

Too easy Sergeant! :rolleyes:

2. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

You feel put upon because I answered you point for point and called out every lie and straw man?

You have a really thin skin, my advice would be to stop talking about politics until you gain a fundamental understanding of the facts. Once you turn off Fox (and all the other 24 hour "news" channels) and start reading, the lies are extremely clear, the straw men are simple to pick up on, and the spin is as evident as a tornado.

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Man you freaks play the victim card way too easy...brah.

4. BrotherFish

What I said was, bring in the immigrants, but have a better process in place where they can assimilate into American Society and not believe that this is just the “new” Mexico. Find out why are they not voting? Because, there is no process in place to teach them about what it means to be an American. What are our American values?

If you educate them and they end up being financially successful—then naturally they will lean toward conservative principles and not the other way around. The current system, where the goal is to just provide amnesty and then allow 12 million more to buy into health care (for I believe that is one the ultimate goal of the Progressives)

Teach them that Freedom is not “free.”—that’s why I am discussing politics, because I feel I have to fight for my views so my children to have the same freedoms that I have.

Do you know 70%+ of the crimes by illegal immigrants in the US are by their children? Their parents never learn English and therefore never get out of cutting grass or picking fruits type jobs the rest of their lives. Their children are trapped between two worlds that they wanted no part of—and they turn to gangs. We are allowing so many illegal’s into our country and not properly educating them—and thereby doing them a great disservice. Does this not make sense to you?

Also, if you think HCR is done, you are sadly mistaken, this was just a “starting” point for the Progressives—there is much documentation on this on the net. Their ultimate goal is to have a single payer system. Also, they will do everything in their power to nationalize the oil companies and basically anything they can get their hands on. Just Google “The Fairness Doctrine” to see their attempt to control free speech on the radio.

This is all good, if Venezuela is your ideal form of Government, because ultimately where Progressives are trying to push our nation.

To your original point:

I have already admitted that I have not done a good job in making my center-right viewpoints clear--it has unintentionally come out as extreme right viewpoints.

I was hoping others conservatives would chime in to do a better job in expressing the center-right viewpoint. This is a learning process for me also.

I know what I believe are my core values and I believe the conservative party most nearly representatives my viewpoints.

Obviously, I need to learn how to better express my viewpoints to others. So far, I have just voted. I have now started to get into political discussions and felt this was a good place to start--since I have been on the board for at least 5 years.

I know what everyone is going to say. :grin:

5. BrotherFish

No, IMHO, I don't feel you made valid points--I have countered all your points in your following response. Since, I did respond to your every point, I felt I have the right to :rolleyes:

And you STILL (or any other others) have not shown me any FAIR and BALANCED discussion on this board--since all my viewpoints are extreme rightwing.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

A pretty simple and effective, if not clever, act - straight out of the Frank Luntz school. Keep saying center-right again and again and maybe people will believe it.

Incidentally I'd say there's probably a 25-50% chance that our new friend shares some demographic characteristics with baylorbear09.

7. BrotherFish

Why do you call me a FREAK for expressing my viewpoint? And, what was the victim card that I played? :confused:

In fact, its just the opposite! I stated that I did not play the victim and refused to grow up believing "THE MAN" is responsible for all my misfortunes.

I simply realized that working hard, not expecting handouts, and assimilating into American society--while still staying true to my native culture is what being an American is all about.

If this makes me a "freak" to some of you, then so be it. After all, I am trying to reach those in the middle.

8. uolj

uolj Member

Wait, where did you do this? I must have missed it.

Unfortunately, discussions like these are the norm on this message board and others. Finding an honest discussion of the issues is more difficult than finding partisan sniping. But there have been many honest discussions, usually on topics that aren't specific to modern politicians or political parties (religion and gay rights are two recent topics that come to mind).

And despite what some say, I don't think your views are "extreme right wing". But they do seem to consist of a very high percentage of "talking points" that are presented by many with similar viewpoints as you. It is this recitation of "talking points" that leads to the labels you receive. In addition, your views have an air of certainty that seems unwarranted given how easy it is to debunk some of the misconceptions you seem to have.

In a thread like this where you've made dozens of claims, many of which are objectively questionable, it is hard to go through each one methodically. If you want to have an honest discussion, I'd suggest picking one topic and discussing it directly. State your case and provide your evidence and reasoning. If somebody disagrees, they'll say so and explain with evidence and reasoning as well. If you don't like the jokes and the insults, ignore them and focus your responses on the people who give honest replies.

It is possible to have honest discussions here if you want them, but you have to work hard for it and not expect it to be handed to you.

9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Hey statistics show that your kids, second generation immigrants, will become Amerianized develop a sense of commuity and grow to see the benefits of government helping folks when they are in need.

10. BrotherFish

Is it as clever as you not being able to point out one thread in the past 10+ year you guys have spent on this board where there was a balanced and objective discussion on opposite political viewpoints?

Sam, Let's try to stay on topic. Let's not detract this thread into "assumed" demographics of posters. It will only lead to ugliness and pettiness.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Signs point to fraud. Good luck andy getting into long point-by-point discussions with this dude, i have a feeling he'll be the only one laughing.

12. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Isn't this thread about your own "assumed" demographics of posters?

13. BrotherFish

I am all for helping those in "real need." But, we must balance this by not allowing good intentions to result in "unintentionally" creating a entitlement class of society. That’s what is happing in the rest of the world. There is a reason people from all over the world dream of coming to America. If we change American to what they have in their own country--then why come here?

No Thanks!

If a bank fails, don't bail them out. We have to stop rewarding failure. We learn the most from our failures. 90% percent of new business fails the first year and 90% of those that make it thru the first year fail the second year. But, those that make it the third year usually doing well.

I have several friends that have been unemployed for about a year now and they have four year college degrees.
    I asked them, why don't they work at lower paying job while waiting for the economy to recover? Their answer: We get more from unemployment checks from the government--so why look for a different type of job that pays less.

Meanwhile, the Progressives keep pushing Congress just keeps extending unemployment benefits on and on. Where does it stop?

I am all for helping people, but do you not see how unlimited entitlements can make people naturally become more and more dependent on the Government?

14. uolj

uolj Member

What do you think would happen if those banks weren't bailed out?

Why do you think unemployment benefits are being extended (with the support of both parties) continuously right now? Do you really think they are unlimited?

15. BrotherFish

If you think that, you would be WRONG. I wanted to know my fellow Rockets fans view of the current political climate and where they stand on issues.

I am on the BBS all the time for the past five years. Why would I not naturally want to know what you guys think? I did not bring up the "demographic" issue--if fact, I was stating that we should not bring it up--since it has no relevance to me.

After all, I am a minority with different viewpoint than most of my native country men and even my own parents--whom I have these discussions with all the time.

So, stop trying to derail the thread.

16. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I responded to your response in a point by point manner again. Please answer my questions and I will take the time to answer some more of yours.

Please clearly define exactly what you mean by the term "FAIR and BALANCED." Once you do, I will engage further.

17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

isn't entitled vs. taxpaying basically demographics?

howbout california vs. texas?

18. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Well the way a modern economy works is that when people are laid off you maintain their purchasing power by using the economic stabilizer of unemployment insurance. This helps you stay employed. I know you attribute it all to your work ethic, but that is not just the case.

If you force the college folks you know to work at fast food or starve, they will beat out the other folks who realistically can't work hardly anywhere else and purchasing power is still low. If the college educated beat out the folks who normally work at fast food, then those folks without food stamps (an entitlement, I'm sure you abhor) and without a job would be begging and near starving.

Most Americans are not accustomed to the type of extreme poverty and begging you see in India and don't want that here, though you may feel comfortable with it from your background.

Your feelings as a hard working healthy person are pretty common, though it can change at a drop of a hat if you become disabled. At that time you will be asking for social security disability and you will feel "I really deserve it, but those others were not hard working like me.".

19. BrotherFish

First, you have to understand that, the reason the banks failed was because Progressive elements of government made promises to lenders that the government would not allow them to fail--"that they were too big to fail" So, with this "wink-wink" understanding, they started to lend irresponsibly.

Failing due to irresponsible lending practices will teach the banks that survived that in the future--they better not make any "wink-wink" deals with taxpayer’s money.

It would be a very hard pill to swallow for America, but in the long run we will be a stronger country. But, the Progressive wing of the Democrats party just want to tax Americans into becoming Venezuela.

Remember, the “TEA” in Tea Party means “Taxed Enough Already” and it does not mean “raciest” or “rightwing nut.”—although, I agree, there is small element of “raciest” in the group. But, let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water.

I believe this starts with getting our own financially situation in order. Once we realize, the sacrifices we have to make to get this done—then we will have a better understanding of what our Government needs to do.

If we as a country start to make tough decisions about our economy and lending practices,--then, when the rest of the world’s economies start to fail (and they will, Greece is just the beginning) --they will start moving all their assets to America, because they will see us as fiscally responsible.

This is really no different, philosophically, than warning your kids about the consequences of have a kid while they are still in high school--and then when they have a kid—they can kiss their hopes and dreams of a financially successful career goodbye. However, they will make sure their kids don’t make the same mistake. (I am assuming these are Pro-Life and want to keep their child)

My point is that we make tough decisions every day, why can’t we hold our Government to the same standard?

Of course, I believe unemployment benefits should be extended. I point is that most people will take advantage of any “entitlements” as long as they can get it for free.

And please don't tie this to HCR (I believe there is a lot of good points in it, but it was just a starting point to turn it into a "single payer" system)-- Please reread the thread title.

While the “taxpaying” class (both Democrats and Republicans) will get taxed more and more to cover the entitlement class.

This will slowly eliminate the motivation of the best and brightest of our society to strive to be the best in the world in all fields. Remember, everyone is ultimately motivated by "making it rich" in America. We will lose this edge--if we tax the high income earners into oblivion.

20. BrotherFish

"DEMOGRAPHICS are the physical characteristics of a population such as age, sex, marital status, family size, education, geographic location, and occupation."

What I am trying to say has to do with the direction this county is headed. For example:
    If an immigrant comes to the USA with basically "6 bucks" left in their pockets and receive some entitlements, like my parents did, and then they work very hard and get into the higher taxpayer class--how is this related to demographics? I am referring to the tendency of our current society to look to the Government as unlimited source of "freebees".

The Progressive agenda is in full operation in California vs. the conservative agenda is in full operation in Texas. What does this have to do with demographics?

See below for budget of the two states and dig into what are the reasons for this debt.

http://sunshinereview.org/index.php/State_budget_issues,_2009-2010#Fiscal_Year_2010

The "smoking" gun will lead to the Progressive agenda of unlimited entitlements and labor unions ruining the state.

http://www.policyreport.net/2009/06/california-democrats-begin-to-see-the-ugly-side-of-labor-unions/