1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ime Udoka postgame vs. Warriors, addresses why Jalen Green sat the fourth quarter

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 20, 2023.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

There's an opportunity for a penis joke here but I'll let it go because I'm classy.

cml750, Jontro, Invisible Fan and 3 others like this.
  2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, its spelled shtick

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Member
    Supporting Member

Nick's shtick sticks

Jontro likes this.
  4. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

JG's inefficiency is gonna brick us outta games every night against good teams unless FVV is on fire.

FVV shot poorly last night too but provided 14 assists. Sengun was an absolute beast but he tried his best and we still couldn't win.

5. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I thought that green played way better off the ball the first few games of the season. As far as movement and getting some open shots.

The disappointing thing about last night is that that was the worst nonoffensive game he has had. A lot of the other games, the effort on defense, passing, rebounding has been solid.

Still just a game. Im committed to riding out this season and going from there. The backcourt of the future may very well just be Cam and Amen.

ExTexanNowEastCoast and Jontro like this.
  6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Please no, he has gotten the sheet blocked out of him every time he tried to go over them.

7. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

So him being "only 21" isn't a excuse?

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He was actually making more of those shots when he was going over. His finishing at the rim has dropped. I don't care about him getting blocked, I just care about him getting that key statistic up and then we can figure out the specific instances he should try to go around. He needs to be more Ja Morant and less Manu Ginobody.

The main issue is regardless of whether he goes over or around, he's not choosing the right time to attack the rim. He's sizing up his defender with no regard to whether there's a path in the paint or not. He has to learn to do both within a couple of seconds - size up the defender and see if there's an opening at the rim. That's the turning point imo.

9. Asian Sensation

It shouldn’t be an excuse. There’s plenty of picks that came in around the same age as JG and showed improvement each season. Just look at Sengun’s trajectory and improvements since he’s entered the league. He’s younger than JG. Nobody uses the but he’s only 21 excuse on him.

The season is young and I’ll give him some leeway because of the player and personnel changes. That being said from what I can see thus far he hasn’t really improved on anything since his rookie season.

This is year 3 and he’s the same player he was more or less since he’s entered the league. The 3rd year is usually when you see a big leap. He’s been quite underwhelming and I’m not encouraged that he’s going to take his game to another level.

10. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Then why was it an excuse here Sengun's whole career up to this point?

11. MadMax

MadMax Member

We were talking about career trajectory. The comparison someone made was to Clyde and Kobe. Yes, being 21 is an excuse for him not already being Kobe or Clyde. Obviously. I’m saying it seems quite clear he isn’t on the trajectory of being one of the 5 or 6 best shooting guards of all time. I don’t think even his biggest fans think he’s on that path.

12. Asian Sensation

Sooo it was until it wasn’t. Weird how that works. Bottom line is Jalen gotta figure his shiit out.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Consequences - it is no big deal - no one is guaranteed playing time - he needs to do better, a little accountability will help him.

DD

J Sizzle likes this.
  14. csc177

csc177 Member

That “oh well” mentality on gets you so far, and could ultimately send him on his way packing his bags out of h town.

15. Prince_Hakeem

Prince_Hakeem Member

This is premature but definitely can’t dismiss your concerns.

JG has all the talent in the world but he is lacking in terms of on court personality. He doesn’t seem like he wants it bad enough, kinda like Andrew Wiggins.

dobro1229 likes this.
  16. i3artow i3aller

"You're going to fail. It's how you respond to that failure that kind of defines you as a person, as an athlete." Vernon Wells

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Who decides its not a excuse anymore? Sengun fans?

18. Prince_Hakeem

Prince_Hakeem Member

Cam definitely has more presence than JG when he’s on the court (maybe just by being a much more physically bigger player) but from what I saw, Cam is even more raw than JG was at his age.

I like Amen a lot but he needs to get with Lonzo’s shooting coach to fix his form. Today’s league is highly unforgiving to players who can’t shoot regardless of talent.

ExTexanNowEastCoast likes this.
  19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Come on guys. They're just going to cut out his mid range jumpers (shooting those terribly) and work on his finishing at the rim.

The rest of his game has improved and will obviously improve more. This is all new for him. A rocky start was expected.

If you can fix Dillon Brooks' efficiency then you can probably fix Jalen Green's. Give him another 15 or so games, that's when we'll see what we've got in Jalen.

20. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Member
    Supporting Member

Superstar status confirmed!