1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ime Udoka on loss to OKC, not wanting Sengun to guard Chet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 25, 2024.

1. Nook

Nook Member

We will have to wait and see how much improved Sengun is as a shooter next season. He is going to work on his perimeter shooting this off season. He doesn't have to be a fantastic or high-volume shooter from three either, he only needs to take them when he is wide open. He already shoots over 40% in the 16-22 foot range.

He is 21 years old and has improved every season, and he is smart. He is going to be a solid three-point shooter - he just hasn't really worked on it a whole lot.

Dobbizzle and conquistador#11 like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Tell that to Silas, Lucas and now Udoka.

I don't think anyone thinks he is atrocious, he just has some limitations.

3. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

You are rolling it back to limitations interesting lol "Silas, Lucas and Udoka" Yeah cuz all three of them are always right and always make the best decisions lol I currently dont want any of them as coach of this team and I certainly wouldnt want Udoka guiding himself by an eye test alone. The issue here isnt Sengun being held accountable. Its that Sengun tends to get treated like **** for making mistakes whereas other guys get passes and this has been a huge issue for the Rockets under all three of those guys. Its part of why Jalen thinks he's playing at a starter level no one is telling him different on the team. SO our best player is the main guy who gets chewed out. He is also our second best defensive player by the numbers but I have to sit here and listen to you chuckle heads prattle on about his defense lol Its ridiculous. A little perspective is needed here.

4. cbass

cbass Member

What a bunch of nonsense.

He doesn’t get on Jalen like that because he’s basically given up on him. Hence why he holds Sengun to a higher standard.

Also, Sengun has said repeatedly he likes to be coached hard, so that’s what Ime is doing. I’m glad Sengun isn’t as soft as you.

There’s no need to get in your feelings so much over some comments in a presser when he’s asked specific questions.

5. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Ime has been on the Rockets for less than a year and Ive never seen him yell at Jalen and you say this bullshit statement that he doesnt yell at him cuz he has given up on him but he never says that in public and still has him as a starter. You have the audacity to call what I posted nonsense and then you reply to me with something Ime never said lol OK In these Sengun hate posts its always EYE TEST and MADE UP NARRATIVES. Never stats lol Never.

6. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Why couldn't Sengun guard Chet? He's our franchise player!

7. cbass

cbass Member

Respectfully, what the hell are you talking about? You’re borderline incoherent.

Please point to where I ever said anything hateful about Sengun, much less wrote a “hate post”. I didn’t. I said Ime very obviously believes in Sengun more than Jalen, as he should, since Sengun has been our best player to date this season and, thusly, Ime holds him to a higher standard.

There is no need for Ime to yell at or about Jalen, since he plainly doesn’t expect a lot from him.

Sengun himself has repeatedly said he wants to be coached hard.

You’re here throwing some kind of tantrum over this for no reason. There is no need to get your feelings hurt over a basketball team ever, let alone when it’s over a non-issue like Ime coaching Sengun hard because he believes he can be better.

Also, consider using punctuation when you post.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  8. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

"theres no need for our coach to coach the person that needs the most coaching" The dumb narratives that go around this board are ridiculous.

9. cbass

cbass Member

So now you’re misrepresenting my point and putting words in my mouth.

Good deal.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah - when you have three current or former head coaches that have coaches a guy a lot and conclude that there are some defensive issues - then there is a good chance that there are some defensive issues... that is perspective.

Also - yeah there are some physical limitations for Sengun defensively, that isn't shocking.

If you really believe that Sengun is the Rockets second best defensively, then I have some ocean front property to sell you.

Sengun is the Rockets best player, he is constantly improving and he is already at a near all star level... but he isn't a stalwart defensively and has limitations.

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

To the bolded part….was there genuine expectation that anyone in the organization, especially the coach, would come out and publicly announce they have given up on a player on their roster that they very likely intend to try to trade to someone(or gasp….intend to give 1 more year to try to salvage some value)?

On top of that I think everyone by now knows that people respond differently to different types of coaching. Complete speculation by me, but my guess is Ime has an understanding that public admonishing is not the best way to go about coaching Jalen(what anyone wants to read into that as far as judging Jalen is up to them). Sengun has come out and asked for the scrutiny specifically.

cbass likes this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

no, but Zion is like Giannis getting the ball out on the perimeter and then blowing by or bullying every defender out of his way so it doesn’t matter…he’s not camped in the lane for post-up moves all day like Sengun

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He easily jumps 2 inches higher than Jokic.

14. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

And believing that THE reason for Sengun getting public/“unfair” criticism is unfair targeting/playing favorites with no thought behind it is…..?

16. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

My opinion is that others should get the same thing if the basis is that its happening because we are trying to make him better.

17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

So the part of my post that included Sengun specifically asking for/liking tough coaching….Players responding to different kinds of coaching differently?

Those two things aren’t speculation.

harold bingo likes this.
  18. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I dont care what Sengun asks for. Sengun has always been too nice to these dumb coaches. Ime is in charge. It is dumb for him to be the only one talked to in that fashion. We suck do it to everyone. Especially if we are going with the premise that it works. This team clearly needs something Ime isnt giving them.

#118 Joe Rocket, Feb 27, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
  19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Chet was 4-4 in the 4th quarter and had 2 offensive rebounds before Alpi checked in.

The Rockets were -10 during this period.

I didn't even listen to the video here, its pointless.

Chet continued in the quarter finishing 7-7, so 3-3 after Alpi checked in. ZERO rebounds.

Chet is good.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Yeah but it takes time and strength to jump. If Jokic can just tip toe and grab a rebound and Sengun has to jump to reach a certain height, Sengun will always be at a disadvantage. Same as a contest, it's not really just Jokic either, it's just about length, size and reach.

It adds up at the end of the day, Sengun will tire out easier because he has to jump and fight, while another big can just tip toe.