1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ime Udoka on loss to OKC, not wanting Sengun to guard Chet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 25, 2024.

1. Strawberry Gum

I don't see a point to this PF discussion. Sengun will most definitely physically improve and get stronger year by year. Tons of people thought that Jokic would eventually be a PF when he was younger and less bulkier than he currently is. He remained as a Center. Sengun will, too.

AroundTheWorld and cml750 like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Part of why I would distance myself from Denver is the fact that the rest of the Rockets team is pretty Anti - Denver....

The Rockets management is also pretty much the opposite of being Denver Nuggets.

Joker does not really care about things other than just games, Alpe cares about everything, All Star selection and stuff.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Alpi's fits are always en iyisi

4. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

between this and the seemingly insurmountable issue of making the questions audible ...

not worth the time.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

HardenReturns likes this.
  6. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

It pisses people off because the stats dont back what youre saying lol Its a lie. Can someone explain why Ime seems to always be mad at Sengun who has had the best season out of our entire team cuz I dont get it personally. But at this point im starting not to care about this team at all. Its a dumb team with stupid fans.

7. cbass

cbass Member

Because he expects more from Sengun and thusly holds him to a higher standard. It’s a sign of respect.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Part of it is that the reporters ask about Sengun more than most players.
    And Ime talks about what he is asked about.

When your talked about more, more negative takes are bound to surface.

AroundTheWorld and HardenReturns like this.
  9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

There's a clear size and length difference between Sengun and Jokic. Inches make a difference in the NBA. Sengun has to jump 2 inches higher on every rebound, contest etc. that adds up over many possessions.

Nook likes this.
  10. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

This is bullshit. Its been used as an excuse far too much. I never see him talk to jalen by screaming on him and jalen is probably the guy who needs it the most. Jalen is a #2 pick he need sot be held ot a higher standard. I feel stupid for wanting us to draft Jalen and for wanting us to hire Ime both are inept offensively. I really want a new coach and jalen gone this summer I cant believe how wrong I was about both. Ime fooled everyone he just had a lot of talent anyone could get far with boston they are stacked.

11. Nook

Nook Member

I believe that having a real 5 on the floor will more than make up for any additional concerns with Sengun on the floor. I also believe having other high end defenders on the floor that are consistent defensively will help Sengun quite a bit.

12. Nook

Nook Member

You are assuming that Sengun will not improve as a shooter - maybe he won't but based on his track record, I believe that he will.

The Rockets really need a 5 that can defend the lane and can hit open outside shots - Adams fits the first part but not the second part.

13. dmoneybangbang

I think Sengun is more TBD than folks want to admit. He should improve, but I’m not sure where he ends up skill wise.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Jokic isn't an elite defensive center because of his foot speed and reaction times. He has worked very hard and has improved. I expect that Sengun will do the same because he is a smart player and hard worker. Having said that - Jokic is bigger than Sengun. For comparison, Jokic has a 7'3" wingspan and Sengun has the same size wingspan as Jabari and Amen, 7'0".

That doesn't mean that Sengun will never play center in the future, he will - as him at center is offensively better, and when the other team counters with smaller centers - then Sengun will be defending the 5..... but there are still going to be times, about half the minutes, where Udoka is going to want someone that is a real center and that can limit the lane and alter shots.

Jokic is noticeably longer and bigger than Sengun. Jokic has about 1.5 inches on him, 3 inches on the wingspan and a good 40 lbs on him and the frame is bigger.

Strawberry Gum and daywalker02 like this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

AOFs = "Sengun is a terrible perimeter defender and he is setting up Steve to fail" :D

Nook likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

Defensive stats need to be taken in the proper context, they are not black and white.

Having said that - I don't think that Sengun is a poor defender in all situations, that he is very much dependent on his match up and the quality of the defenders around him. He tends to be smart and can use help from his teammates more strategically and better than most players.

I don't think that Udoka is always mad at Sengun, but I do believe based on performance and personality, he expects more from Sengun than others and he believes that he can take blunt evaluation better than someone like Green.

As for why Udoka will sometimes make negative comments against Sengun defensively, is because it is accurate sometimes. We say Silas say similar things and John Lucas as well. That doesn't mean that Sengun isn't a really good player - he is. There was criticism against Nowitzki, Harden, Jokic, Curry and other great players.

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

no team will be fearing Sengun and his shooting or ability to space the floor…Sengun and Adams as your starting frontcourt, might as well bring back JVG so we can complete the transition back to 2005

Verbal Christ likes this.
  18. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

The eye test needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Someone like Brook Lopez? We should've gone after.....uh, we should've....

[​IMG]

Nook likes this.
  20. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

DO they fear Zion's shot??