1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ime Udoka not happy with Rockets selfish play, inability to make extra pass

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 4, 2024.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Shot selection still an issue for Cam Whitmore.

GotGame15, Deckard, burlesk and 5 others like this.
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

"Shootmore in the crowd"

34to11 likes this.
  3. Newlin

Newlin Member

I support and agree with Ime. Part of it is young guys that just aren’t seeing the entire floor yet.

BigMaloe, Patience, clos4life and 3 others like this.
  4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

You have to call plays. Just can't hope they're going rollout a strategic offense.

5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Play more Tate

Jontro likes this.
  6. Newlin

Newlin Member

It took Hakeem years to learn to kick the ball out to the open man. His rookie year he averaged 1.4 assists per game. But, by the championship years he was averaging 3.6 assists per game. Part of that may have been surrounding him with players he trusted to make an open shot.

Even when we make good passes and find the open man, we aren’t very good at making shots.

7. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Ime once said, Shooting is a premium in the NBA…he need to get shooters this week

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Our offense packs the paint and their defense is the best at packing the paint. They have the #1 defense in the NBA and we have a bottom 10 offense. We're not a very good shooting team, we have lots of scorers who like to or need to get to the basket. It was not meant to go well for us.

So let me get this straight: Ime told them to make the extra pass and not try to drive into a packed paint, so they just totally ignored him till halftime? Our guys seem to have reduced their responsiveness to Ime recently. Call me crazy, but these guys are really young and I think once the trade rumors are gone they will come back to life. I think they probably feel betrayed by Ime/Stone communicating in an article (Iko/Athletic) that no one is untouchable despite the team overachieving. They had just 2 difficult weeks of basketball and found their names in the papers thanks to their impossibly unhappy coach (via a writer who they know is directly linked to the team). I repeat: they are young and learning the business.

Stone/Udoka: from a PR and team management perspective it was incredibly moronic to list all 6 of your young core as "not untouchable" when in fact what the article wants to tell us is that Jalen Green is available. Like why would you put that in the minds of Sengun, Bari, Tari, Cam and Amen who are all exceeding expectations individually and as a team? Very very dumb. If you're trying to protect Jalen's feelings, there are better ways than throwing the rest of the core under the bus with him.

I don't know how much self-reflection Ime does, but he seems keenly unaware of why his offense is 22nd (aside from personnel). He seems unaware that he benches players for bad defense but rarely for bad offense. His team is bad at getting corner 3's, transition points and FT's. These are all about system and they are basic building blocks of a good offense.

I'm starting to feel like Ime should hire a lead offensive assistant or technical consultant. This team is at its defensive peak. The offense is not and Ime might be struggling to ask for help on the bench or to find solutions - which would explain why he would push to trade for a SG who doesn't need coaching on offense.

joshuaao, roslolian, Bo6 and 4 others like this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ime was a role player that averaged like 6pts per game, he got by on shot selection and sharing.

However, all great players have an issue with shot selection, even some of the Spurs Ime played with......like Ginobli.

Cam does shoot it too much, but part of that is the environment Ime has created by yanking him if he misses a few shots. Cam will settle down once he gets more consistent minutes.....same for Jalen tbh.

I would argue that tonight was not about the lack of passing but the lack of hitting WIDE OPEN OUTSIDE SHOTS !

DD

Hmmmm710, Tankeio and PeterKingX like this.
  10. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Well this is time for some coaching. Cam has always had this issue. I actually do like him being aggressive on offense but he needs to see the floor much better. Our spacing is terrible

wlekfjv923n likes this.
  11. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I disagree.

Cam is not the reason why we playing horrible. How can you blame the blowout loss on a rookie who only playing 15 minutes?

We played like shiit just because we can't make damn shots! Even they are WIDE OPEN!

Ime Udoka shows nothing impressive on offense adjustments.

#11 PeterKingX, Feb 5, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
    albuster, Denovo, Rocketeer and 2 others like this.
  12. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

It's 10 pts loss already when Ime put in Cam. How could Ime think it's all his fault?

Denovo, Crashlanded19 and Joe Rocket like this.
  13. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

So Ime never mention Jalen only contributed 8 pts?

albuster likes this.
  14. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

He isn't the sole reason but if they're going to give him more minutes he has to be accountable too. Team in general isn't good

albuster and Patience like this.
  15. Jorge M Gutierrez

I had say that too

16. cumutk

cumutk Member

Shooting is a serious problem, Green is not consistent and guards also.
    If your shooting guard, Who only has one concrete one skill in shooting shoots 3/15 and 0/3, this is such a huge problem.
    Green has low almost zero basketball iq, can not decide,his asist numbers are ok but he makes stoopid mistakes in critical moments.
    And for Alpi, although l am a huge Alpi fan and Turkish and know that he is and will be the best player of this team,
    I want him to think passing to others less-because they just brick and want him to be more assertive in defense.
    This is not Alpi's first year, he should not be afraid of Gobert etc.
    I want Jalen and Alperen to achieve success together, l still see deficiencies in both of their games, but Jalen is not developing in the way l predicted.

Lets see what future brings

rockets1995, Chayvan and PeterKingX like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The NBA is ever evolving so no worries about a 2nd overall pick or not. It will sort itself out.

18. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

To be fair to Ime you said they are missing open shots not sure what you want him to do about that

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ime has this rapid fire wording in the middle of his speech......but I do think it is either he is showcasing Jalen or he is really game planning for Jalen.

20. OnNotice

OnNotice Member

Im not happy with how you have been coaching Ime, I agree with what Jalen says here

Also Amen shouldve played more minutes