1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ime Udoka not happy with Rockets "physicality" after loss to Lakers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 3, 2023.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. MystikArkitect

Damn. He's pissed.

"Turnovers".

BigMaloe likes this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Yawn, same **** different day - hold em accountable.....if they aren't doing what you say...BENCH THEM.....this is getting tiresome.

They aren't getting after it...they aren't doing what we told them to do.......sound familiar?

DO SOMETHING about it coach.....put in the bench take the L - send a message.

DD

#3 DaDakota, Dec 3, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
  4. a time to chill

Udoka's doing a good job as coach. This season is all about finding out what we have in Jabari, Sengun and Jalen Green.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The team is 8-9 after having one of the hardest schedules in the NBA.

This was a bottom 3 team last year.

I'd say the Coach is doing his job, team is overperforming, he's made constant adjustments and I'm sure he'll have some more to make.

6. MadMax

MadMax Member

I love this guy

Rocketeer, wlekfjv923n, IBTL and 12 others like this.
  7. subtomic

subtomic Member
    Supporting Member

This is where the gaps in our bench are hurting us. Right now it seems like the only playable bench guys are defensive minded hustle-type wings and Aaron Holiday.

So if Sengun is having a night where he’s playing soft, who can Ime sub in for him for long stretches? Jabari isn’t strong enough to play center, Jock has been an utter failure, Boban is nothing more than a fan favorite curiosity and Jeff Green is too old and too small.

In Jalen’s case, we don’t have anyone on the bench who can be counted on to score from the perimeter (****, we can’t even count on Jalen himself). Cam might be that guy eventually, but Ime seems to think he isn’t ready and I’d guess that’s probably correct (although I’d love to see how Cam responds to meaningful minutes).

For Jabari, we at least can sub in Tari, Green or even Tate if he’s playing soft.

This is why think we have to look to improve our bench as soon as all our assets are eligible for a trade. Not only will it give us more depth to win games, but it will give us legit alternatives when the main starters / rotation guys are stinking.

TheJet, bumbum09, rpr52121 and 16 others like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We already knew about Sengün, he is who he is already just improving.....but he is the steady Center.....(you can fill in on how good or not good he is)

HardenReturns and saleem like this.
  9. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Not surprising when two of your starters are soft.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

8-9 is alrite but this game was by far one of those games where the energy and toughness were not there.

The One game that is not really good.

Stephen_A and saleem like this.
  11. StrouDaWay

StrouDaWay Member

Did I hear it right?

Something like... ''um... since we've... achieved some success... it looks like it's going to some people's heads''?

#11 StrouDaWay, Dec 3, 2023
    gatsby, wlekfjv923n, IBTL and 4 others like this.
  12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

So happy we have Udoka man. Right on the money.

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Last time he, correctly, called them out for being soft the team responded in a big way.

However this is a card that has diminishing returns and can only be used so many times. Personnel changes/adjustments have to be made eventually if it keeps happening.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

Our defense was ass in the 2nd half. Plenty of gaps and blown coverage that ended up being "one man away passes." Offense was worse...

It was like they knew the refs were calling it playoff style and left Alpi on an island. Sengun himself was expecting a different game than the physicality Ime mentioned, and was obviously rattled.

15. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

This isn’t true. Rockets are about middle of the pack as far as strength of schedule played.

Rockets had played the least amount of road games last time I checked. Not sure where they stand now, but they had a loooong stretch of home games and they faced some bad and mediocre teams during that time.

http://powerrankingsguru.com/nba/strength-of-schedule.php

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

0-8 so 8 road games.. ...

The Rockets are about 2-3 games played behind everyone.........fewest games played.

17. Asian Sensation

Would absolutely LOVE to have this guy.

[​IMG]

Send them Dipo and Bullock’s expiring contracts along with Jae’Sean.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The problem with this is its weighted by playing two of the worst teams in the NBA, okay 3, Spurs, Hornets, and Grizzlies. Outside of those games the Rockets played..

The Magic, Warriors, Kings 2x, Lakers 2x, Pelicans, Nuggets 3x, Clippers, Mavs.

Two of these teams, Clippers and Warriors, have slightly losing records but I'm willing to bet by the end of the year. Warriors have had an even tougher schedule than us, they've only played two bad teams, Pistons and Spurs, they will pad their record when their schedule lightens up. Who knows what's going on with the Clippers...

But no one looked at this schedule and thought it was easy.

Problem with SOS analytics is they are factoring things like days of rest and home/away, I get that but...Denver is hard. It doesn't matter if you have 3 days of rest or a b2b. Denver is harder on 3 days of rest at home than playing the Grizzlies on the end of a b2b on the road. I will say B2Bs are hard period but I'd still take an end of b2b against the Grizzlies than days of rest and playing the Nuggets. I'm guessing bettors would too, that they'd have the Nuggets favored in that scenario while they would have us favored against the Grizzlies.

I mean yes, the Rockets have had a lot of days off and home games but if those games are against Denver, GSW, etc. This SOS is calculating games as easier because they are at home, it seems to be different from the one ESPN uses which has us at tied 5th hardest schedule so I don't know I'd i'd use this one. I think there's probably way too much weight in home-away. While there should be some, I don't think for most playoff teams, Denver, Pelicans, whoever, don't care that much about the road.

It is also using its OWN power rankings where it's saying teams like Dallas, Lakers,Kings, are also 'mediocre' teams. I disagree with that. Dallas has an MVP frontrunner on their team, Lakers have a guy in the GOAT discussion still playing all-star ball, and Kings have one of the best guards in the NBA, but it's saying these are mediocre teams which, maybe the Lakers are, but Dallas and Kings certainly are not.

I don't know, all I heard going into november was how we were going to get buried by our schedule, especially around here, so I'm going to be skeptical of any claims that now actually our schedule was not that difficult. I think some should be cautious of shifting their expectations....I know like one guy here who thought we'd make it through november with a record even near what we have, I need to find that thread again when this was all discussed.

Thankfully for the Rockets, after this month, things get a little easier and they won't be playing the Nuggets, Warriors, and Lakers every damn week.

HP3, OremLK and conquistador#11 like this.
  19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I nominate LARRY "MR. MEAN" SMITH as an additional coach. (only half serious)

Our guys got it earlier in the season. Be physical, be focused, work hard.
    They had that string of early home success and thought they had rounded the corner.
    But like most, perhaps a byproduct of the human condition, they let up just a bit.
    Now they cant win squat.

While the roster needs some improving, its the overall team mentality that needs a recorrect.

Ime has given them the right message. The correct instruction. Buy the guys on the floor have to carry it out.

Unfortunately, its hard to undo the dunk hightlight flash mentality that gets equated with being the same as success.

#19 jim1961, Dec 3, 2023
  20. a time to chill

I think his comment regarding getting punked by a team that’s not known for punking people was a criticism of Sengun’s defensive effort this game. Sengun has been trending the right way but he’s still got more to prove.