1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ime Udoka new Rockets head coach!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spooner, Apr 24, 2023.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The wife of a part owner of a team has agency in this. Or do women not have agency?

2. plegus

plegus Member

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Ime Udoka exclusive: On defense, player accountability and lessons from Gregg Popovich

But defensively, there were a plethora of controllable factors — effort, aggression, communication — that were easily attainable and applicable more so than made or missed baskets. It was the one area of the game that could be solely dictated on their terms.

That’s been the case for the Rockets a month into the 2023-24 season. From a standings perspective, they are a .500 team having recently gone 0-3 on a West Coast trip, but no one who has watched them would mistake them for an average ball club. This is a team that isn’t making it easy on any opponent it comes across. Over the weekend, both the Los Angeles Lakers and LA Clippers escaped in the game’s final seconds, and the Golden State Warriors won by five on the second night of a back-to-back.

[​IMG]

Looking at this team on paper, especially before the season, you wouldn’t think Houston would be a top-15 defensive team, let alone top five. What about this core stands out defensively that makes that jump possible?

First off, you add Fred and Dillon, guys who are tough, hard-nosed, smart, high-IQ defenders who have had success. For me, I always looked at these guards; no matter who it is, if you have speed, athleticism, all these physical attributes, how can you not be an elite defender? That was really the mindset. For a guy like Jalen (Green) or guys not known to be defenders, it’s really changing the mindset because you have all the physical tools to do it. I said to Alpi, If you’re one of the smartest, cerebral, high-IQ offensive players, you can learn to play defense with your deficiencies. OK, you’re not an elite rim protector, (but) we’ll put you in a position to be better and use angles, use your hands and start to bait guys. You’ve seen (Nikola) Jokić and other guys who end up being decent defenders because they have high IQs.

I try to take the best out of our guys, the best qualities, and challenge them as far as that. But more so than anything is the mentality shift. Everybody has to guard. You don’t want to be the weak link out there on the chain.

https://theathletic.com/5082053/2023/11/22/ime-udoka-houston-rockets-exclusive/

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Udoka hinted/let slip that teams are calling about Jae'Sean and the Celtics called about him when he was their coach (question and answer queued up in the video - just hit play) :

7. fattz

fattz Member

Coach needs to take care of Sengun and not play him so he can heal. This is the O N L Y disappointment so far. Coach needs to remember there is a tomorrow because both are part of our promising future.

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This Thanksgiving we are all thankful that Udoka is our coach and not Silas

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I love Ime. He is a franchise-changing coach.

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

12. King713

King713 Member

Build the statue

harold bingo likes this.
  13. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Everyone please remember to send the Nets a Christmas card thanking them for choosing Vaughn over Udoka.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I believe there was a report stating the league coc*-blocked the Nets on hiring Udoka, saying it was too soon (I guess they wanted a punishment to be a punishment), but this was all I could find in my brief, lazy search:

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiret...eated-Friction-For-Nets-With-Hiring-Ime-Udoka

ExTexanNowEastCoast likes this.
  15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If I were Udoka, I would have fun drawing up how to counter Doncic/Kyrie.
    He probably only has to stifle one of them to get the win.

Will great defense win over great offense?

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

Love everything about Udoka but my god we are bad with these challenges, seems like we lose every one.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He needs to hire Stephen Silas just to do the challenges. Silas is good at that.

BelgianRocketsFan likes this.
  18. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

19. plegus

plegus Member

I think Vanessa’s conservative approach to the answer to the best player of the team tells how the team feel about Jalen. They are expecting at least a duo out of Alpi and Jalen or Jalen as the head of the spear (my interpretation of the actions of the franchise). Jalen is just way more marketable by nature.

DeBeards likes this.
  20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member