1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ime Udoka new Rockets head coach!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spooner, Apr 24, 2023.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

KPJ doing all the right things at the moment...

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

Props to him and anyone else out there. I know sometimes it's required but still doing good for the community.

cmoak1982, TMac'n, BamBam and 2 others like this.
  3. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

It's good to see to be honest. It'd be a great story if he turned his life around and had a long and productive career, and so far the last year I think he's come along there at least even if I don't think he's a starting PG.

OremLK, AroundTheWorld and clos4life like this.
  4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

5. i3artow i3aller

Not surprising considering Ainge's connection to the woman involved in that dalliance. She was practically a daughter to Danny and was best friends w/ the Ainge family.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

LOL No one really believes that.

mikol13, Erbnwarfare, cheke64 and 4 others like this.
  7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The developing issue here is that people are convinced that Udoka is gods gift, while Silas was the worst ever.

Everyone is projecting Udoka is going to come in and change all the perceived mistakes from the prior year, which just so happens to coincide with exactly what random poster believes / wants.

"We are going to run this beautiful motion offense, obviously through Sengun, KPJ is going to be benched or cut, its all going to be glorious. If Harden comes, he is totally not going to go to Vegas on long weekends, and is going to start playing off the ball"

My prediction is there are going to be some pretty disappointing reality checks around here, for folks.

Verbal Christ, jim1961 and OremLK like this.
  8. OremLK

OremLK Member

No doubt it is going to be a process, even if Udoka is as incredible of a coach as some posters think he is. (I have some doubts too, although I certainly think he will be better than Silas). Even when he started out in Boston with much more talent than we have, it took time to get all the players bought in and clicking within his system.

jim1961 and Easy like this.
  9. clos4life

clos4life Member

My prediction is that we finally get competent coaching and our young guys will actually start to grow and be used properly. Will they make the playoffs? Maybe, but who knows and who actually cares? It's about growth and development which was not happening with Silas.

10. larsv8

This is an absolutely 100% perfect example of what I am talking about.

Kudos to you.

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Ime is going to be better than Silas that's the bar. I'll be disappointed if Ime is not MUCH MUCH MUCH better than Silas since Silas was absolute ass.

12. clos4life

clos4life Member

I think that's pretty reasonable to expect. We're not talking even the expectation to get into the playoffs or achieving anything else other than actual real player development and some team play improvement. I mean, if that's a goal that you think it's unreasonable to expect and that we'll be disappointed, then it doesn't matter who we hire and I guess we'll just have to disagree on what you mean by disappointing reality checks.

13. larsv8

There was plenty of player development, in fact it was mostly on par for what 1st and 2nd year guys do. All of our guys got better, some significantly so.

"Team play" - The offense generated a number of good shots, ie open shots, they just didn't hit them. The Rockets were not a particular sticky ball team, as compared to the rest of the league.

The team performed exactly how you would expect a very young team too. Young guys are basically never good, especially on defense.

This is my, point, you are basically summarizing what happened last year and scapegoating it to bad coaching, while I don't. Since that one thing changed, I believe alot of people's expectations are we see something this year which is vastly different than last year and I just don't think that will happen.

Its the same players, still very young, going to add another young guy, and unless we add some impact free agent, like Harden, or maybe KP, things going to look quite the same.

No Worries likes this.
  14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Another possibility for drastic improvement is if a guy has a huge breakout season. It happens sometimes. I wouldn't count on it, but wouldn't rule it out either. Key players like Green and Sengun are entering year 3 which is a time when breakouts start to become more common.

15. larsv8

True, but assuming we draft Amen, and don't sign Harden, you are essentially trading minutes from a veteran in Eric Gordon with another young raw rookie. You can pretty much pencil Amen to look like first year Green or Jabari, which was completely ineffective at best.

OremLK likes this.
  16. clos4life

clos4life Member

It's clear we're going to disagree because while some of what you describe is true I believe it is largely rooted in extremely incompetent coaching and you don't. It looks like we'll just have to wait and see how the season pans out to see if Silas was truly awful as a coach like I believe.

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the players themselves wanted silas gone citing lack of discipline and structure from the worst coach in league history. obviously ime will be a giant upgrade and obviously the know-it-all poster claiming otherwise is going to end up wrong as usual

AroundTheWorld and cmoak1982 like this.
  18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What you say may be true. I am not as giddy about Ukoka as most people here.

But I am 100% sure Udoka is way better than Silas. And if the result is disappointing, we pretty much know that this bunch of young guys don't have it. We will no long be able to say, "Wait till they have real coaching." That in itself is an improvement.

With Silas, you don't even know what would work and what wouldn't work. It's just chaos.

cmoak1982, jim1961 and clos4life like this.
  19. MystikArkitect

30 wins. Over or under?

20. larsv8

Depends on the free agents.