1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ime Udoka: "Chet Holmgren shouldn't be pushing guys around so easily"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 27, 2024.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It feels like Stone is somehow mandating that Ime keep starting Jalen. There is no other rational explanation. Everyone can see that Jalen is done as a Rocket, and that he is dragging everyone down. The fact that he keeps starting goes against any concept of accountability.

And if that is the case, Stone should be fired.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It's not their fault half our rotation can't make NBA 3 pointers consistently, or that we have a team without anything resembling frontcourt length.

We're short, we can't shoot, and the guy we hoped to be our top offensive player (Green) has been hot garbage at pretty much everything. We have a pretty simple set of problems on the floor.

albuster and AroundTheWorld like this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

it is their fault when their piss poor play contributes to losing, especially when they're paid like they should be having an actual much bigger impact on winning

They're part of the actual problem of not making shots consistently. It isn't just everyone else

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Swap out SGA with Jalen, and we are the better team.

slothy420, maypk, Hui and 3 others like this.
  6. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Despite how ridiculous this is, it's a really interesting hypothetical to me. How does Sengun look if we have an MVP caliber guard out there? Could they still double team him? Does Jabari get twice as many wide open shots now? Is FVV averaging double digit assists? How does the OKC offense look without an MVP candidate? How does Chet look without SGA? Or Giddey and Dort? Is Jdub the #1 option? We've seen his numbers without SGA, maybe he actually looks better? Could be the next Harden. A lot of cool stuff to think about.

Strawberry Gum likes this.
  7. OremLK

OremLK Member

As a fellow Rockets fan, you should be very familiar with people crapping all over Kevin Durant and his limp... you know. Actually, that's a terrible mental image, so forget I went there.

I don't really disagree with your basic premise here, but it goes back to the old floor-versus-ceiling debate. I'm just pointing out that if Sengun reaches his peak, he is the guy who is considered the best player on a championship team; if Chet reaches his peak, he is not. (And of course, that's my opinion on their best-case outcomes--you may have a different one.)

I am high on Williams, so I'm not really going to argue against him being a future star. But I will point out that 12 games is a rather small sample size.

albuster likes this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

[​IMG]

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

There isn't really any other way we could have gone with Jabari at #3. Hindsight is 20/20, and guys drafted later often outperform top 5 picks. Let's see where his 3rd season jump takes him

Green, fair enough. Not the consensus pick, a risky move and has been egg on Stone's face since day 1. It is hard watching the long athletes in the big man spots work us over while a 7' mobile.shot blocker that was consensus pick 2 (!) is in the league. Meantime our risky pick has had a 3rd year slump instead of jump...

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Sounds strange but Chet V Sengun
    is like Giannis/Embiid V Joker

Chet maybe simply more athletic and smooth but Sengun may have the higher feel of the game (basketball i.q)
    but we won't know until those around Sengun starts knocking down shots

Rocket River

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

uhhh Bari's pick isn't even the problem. It's the bust who was picked #2. They are in no way in the same boat

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

They're in the same boat in terms of Rockets having a top 3 pick and barely getting at top 10 player from the draft class. But you're correct in that even a role player Jabari is more useful than a guy who is supposed to be a lead guard but sucks at it.

harold bingo likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

not really. but of course the Bari hater would think different. I'm not worried about bari having a lengthy career and making a ton of money doing so

JG on the other hand. well he's on the fast track to bust and journey man if lucky

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

^See folks - if you don't Jabari Smith Jr is an all star player - > you're a "bari hater" lol

Perfectly capable of saying a guy is a plus NBA player but not a star level player - that's a thing that exists in the world.

Either way, a disappointment to get the 5-10th best player with the 3rd pick, that's just bad luck.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

that applies specifically to you. you never even thought he was even a good player. The all star or nothing is just you being dramatic and the bar you set for yourself.

oh you mean just bc you pick in order that's how the draft should go? welcome to the nba draft where the order never goes as is. Did you know that #1 picks don't become the best players? Did you know that #2 picks don't become the 2nd best player? Did you know....

It's not called bad luck. that's called the reality of an NBA draft. and it will be that way forever

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Told you

AroundTheWorld and Verbal Christ like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, Ime, Chet is the skinniest bad boi on this planet.....

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Where you been! I forgot how much you liked the kid. He's good. REAL good. (Paolo still better :D).

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I wanted him to pair with Alp, perfect fit.
    Paolo has been good, I think Chet is better still.

Been staying out of Garm for most part. Too busy to go back and forth

harold bingo and Verbal Christ like this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

remember when CF's claimed guys all across the league would throw Chet around.

yikes