1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ime Udoka after Amen, Jalen spark comeback win in Portland

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 9, 2024.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Personally I don’t believe it was about injuries as much as just a dead offense. FVV-Sengun PnR was ran more than any other play in the league at that time and executed very slowly. It started trending down before injuries happened (my thread was before the injuries) because scouting reports got detailed and teams were easily beating both guys to their spots.

With Amen it’s hit and miss, he can raise the pace but also he can kill the spacing so to me everyone has to push and they can. FVV and Sengun are still not fast but they are thinking faster and at least trying now. The team was constantly ignoring Green and Cam running hard in transition and that was demotivating and that has changed.

Transition is easy points, everyone is supposed to maximize it. Udoka wanted to keep a tight leash on turnovers and transition defense (he talked about this) but it was suffocating the us along with the opponents and not generating extra wins or net differential anymore. Didn’t work. We don’t have ultra skilled players, we have lots of explosive athletic players. We’re moving in the right direction. I heard someone say the other day coach wants to play as fast as possible (like the Thunder) and you can see the offense is now motivating a return to good defense. I love it.

#21 Mathloom, Mar 9, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2024
    Ancient Moabite and topfive like this.
  2. Mathloom

Supporting Member

No one claimed that. It will just help and it was not helping him to play slow with the starters, as Udoka said. Sorry you don’t believe in it. Jalen is scoring better since we started moving up those pace rankings.

3. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It could be because pace is a terrible stat and doesn’t accurately measure what people think it measures and is often misunderstood. But anyway, you’re right on this - transition offense was key to our win yesterday. Pushing for transition opportunities was basically why we won yesterday. We should probably look at stats that actually measure that like transition% or, as you mentioned, our season high in transition points.

4. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Interesting thanks for that. I was also thinking net transition must be a very telling stat to look at. By that I mean:

is it really impressive if you’re #1 in transition defense while you’re also near last in transition offense and pace and don’t bother much with offensive rebounds? Is that actually valuable impact or is what we’re trying to achieve is to be as good as transition defense while being as high in transition offense as possible?

5. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

Wtf? Pace is one of the most important things in basketball.

6. maypk

maypk Member

[​IMG]

OkayAyeReloaded likes this.
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Oh no, fix it again Tony!

Mathloom and Nook like this.
  8. OkayAyeReloaded

I like how the Rockets attacked the Blazers in transition. Just for reference to be objective, Portland is one of the worst teams in the NBA in transition defense. And typically higher-paced teams are younger bad teams, which gets exposed in the playoffs when the game slows down to half-court offense and every possession counts.

I agree with attacking the defense's weaknesses game to game, but keep developing both weapons in the skillset, half court slower paced and faster transition pace based on what's effective.

Here are the stats for transition defensive PPG, one thing that has helped the Rockets this year is going from one of the worst transition defensive teams to one of, if not the best so far currently

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/opponent-fastbreak-points-per-game

[​IMG]

9. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Just because pace is important doesn't mean higher is better. Pace is an important concept, controlling pace is important. Playing to a pace that is advantageous to your roster and the matchup is important. That does not mean "higher number is better" when it comes to pace, which is why you see the wizards at the top. That does not mean pace is not important.

topfive, Mathloom, Rochut and 2 others like this.
  10. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

Your counter argument is a **** roster that plays with pace? It's a **** roster and a horribly coached team.

topfive and Ancient Moabite like this.
  11. maypk

maypk Member

Yes, so pace is not as important as you think it is. That's the point I'm trying to make and you seem to agree with my point with your post.

Rochut likes this.
  12. maypk

maypk Member

Pace matters situationally. You can benefit from a faster and a slower pace in the same game with the same roster against the same opponent. There are lots of posters on this board who are convinced the Rockets would be a worldbeater if they played at a faster pace. That's just not true.

Nook and Rochut like this.
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

So Coach Roosh was right after all? ;)

14. dmoneybangbang

I don’t think “pace” is gimmicky but it’s just not sustainable (I don’t mean physically exhausting) and is more of something that should be supplemental to your overall offense.

It certainly benefitted the rockets this game, as our defense and athleticism was very much on display.

15. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

Pace is super important. It is not an opinion. It's one of the things you learn when you play at most levels. Using a team with a terrible roster is not evidence to the contrary. No stat can make up for a bad roster.

topfive and Ancient Moabite like this.
  16. Jontro

Jontro Member

[​IMG]

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's wacky how the Rockets were able to create turnovers and get transition baskets against a bad team missing most of their rotation that is intentionally trying to lose games.

Must be because Coach finally agreed with my strategy

YaoMac09 and Nook like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

Some lineups are better suited to play fast (or slow). However, the point I was making is that just playing at a faster pace doesn’t solve anything if you don’t defend, limit turnovers and make smart decisions.

Basketball is basketball - you still have to execute and play on both sides of the court.

This was a very entertaining second half - but the team that the Blazers had out there was probably the worst in the league because of injuries.

Further you better know how to execute in the half court or you aren’t winning in the playoffs.

jch1911 and maypk like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

Pace is neutral - there is no real good or bad pace overall.

Creating mismatches, exploiting them and executing is what is important.

Both teams try to set the pace according to their style of play - but over a 7 game series it is ultimately the team that executes down the stretch that wins - and great teams can win even when they don’t control the pace.

jch1911 likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

No pace can make up for a bad roster. You can be the slowest or fastest paced team in the league and whether you are winning will depend on execution.

jim1961, jch1911 and maypk like this.