1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Imagine you win the lottery...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by countingcrow, May 20, 2008.

1. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

If it's not printed on the ticket then I doubt they can. Also, If you get a blind trust your lawyer claims the ticket in thename of the trust. They can take my lawyers picture if they want.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

This thread inspired me to do a lot of research on a lazy Wednesday night. Needless to say, if I win the lottery tonight, I have my three new residences already picked out. :D

3. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

No offense MadMax, but if I won the lottery, I'd only want your card if it had the words "Parter" and "Vinson & Elkins" printed on it. You only win the lotto once, you know. :D

4. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

If any of them are in the crap city of Houston, I question your intelligence bro.

5. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

I'd buy a place in LA, a place in Miami, a place in New York, a place in vegas, a place is costa rica, and a place in the Texas Hill country. I'd also buy my own jet to get to and from all these places.

6. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

1st - Make digital copies, as well as photo copies on paper... store in the safe deposit box, and on about four hard drives as backup proof.

2nd - Call and find out what to do next.

3rd - Cash it in according to rules that best fit my family's needs at the time (lump sum or pay outs).

4th - Make at least 15% donation to our church... (In time, perhaps fund a new building including a full size gym w/b-ball court and collapsible bleachers, 6 goals, volleyball system, score boarding, etc.)

5th - Get new phone numbers. I'd keep my current cell until I can weed out the leeches... then cut it off.

6th - Pay off every debt, except for my main mortgage -best kept for tax deductions- and take a long overdue deep breathe.

7th - Invest for the kids, and for wife & self...

8th - Take a month vacation to Europe, for starters.

Just a guess... I have never played the lotto. I don't gamble.

btw- I wouldn't quit my life's calling. ;)

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Vinson & Elkins does GREAT work.

Sincerely,

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I need a place to stay when I come watch the Astros, Texans and Rockets.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

There's nothing more satisfying than beating the pants off big law firms and having their clients call you a year later to ask if you'll represent them going forward.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm guessing V&E would make some nobody who just won $5 million their top priority over the multi-billion dollar corporate clients!

BTW, my friend I was talking about? That was you. :)

11. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

ALWAYS take the lump sum.

12. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

How much money do you think the lotto is? :eek:

13. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Currently the jackpot is 15 million. But the cash value option would get you 9.2, and I don't know if thats before or after taxes. I am guessing its after.

14. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

That's before tax. So figure around 5-6 mil to take home. That will hardly buy you all the homes and a jet! A good way to go broke quicky though.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

1. Turn in ticket and make sure money is in the bank.
    2. Hire financial advisor to get money in places to help me.
    3. Tell my parents to quit.
    4. Quit job.
    5. Buy a fuel efficient car. Maybe biodiesel.
    6. Have home built in either Houston or Austin. I would look into solar panels and rain water recovery systems.
    7. Start up a coffee shop nearby that always has Astros, Texans, Rockets, and Longhorns on when possible.

16. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

get an attorney yeah, set up a trust yeah, those are important and sound responsible but that's not the FIRST thing anybody would do....

if i won the lotto, the absolute first thing i would do would be the mother of all victory dances which would extend deep into my roommates quarters, where i would inform him that it is now my room.

actually if i won the lotto, the first thing i would do is try to find out where the hell that lotto ticket came from. i've never bought a ticket, so it would be really improbably for me to win.

17. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

I would invest! Get me a money market account and live comfortably for the rest of my life.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Awesome. Now I owe you a beer!

19. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Just to make sure. If I set up a blind trust then the trustee can claim the ticket in the name of the trust correct. I'm kept anonymous right?
    Also, is this a good option in claiming a large (50million - 400 million) lottery ticket?

20. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Actually, to tell you the truth, I just won a lottery in Nigeria. Because of my status as a member of the opposition party, though, I cannot claim it on my own. If anyone can help me by giving me their account information, I will have the prize deposited in your account. After that, I will send you instructions on how to forward the money to me. For your help, I will allow you to keep 10%.