1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

Imagine That!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by thumbs, Apr 9, 2015.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes this is an important point is that contributions to the Clinton Global Initiative cannot be used as campaign funds. Calling this backdoor campaign donations isn't really the case unless there is more evidence that the Clintons are transferring money to her campaign fund.

Further for the party that has pushed to do away with campaign finance laws and is also raising record amounts of money through SuperPacs it seems rather hypocritical to be criticizing the Clintons for creative ways to raise tons of money.

All of that said the very convoluted nature of the Clintons' public and private lives does make it difficult to absolutely rule out that anything shady is going on. At the minimum it does seem likely that foreign donors were likely trying to curry favor with the Clintons through donations to the Clinton Global initiative. Whether there is any sort of influence they actually gained out of it and anything that Hillary did as Secretary of State that could be tied to donations to the Global Initiative I haven't seen any solid evidence that is the case.

I don't think this is something to be ignored but not seeing anything yet to really condemn Hillary about for.

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Warren, Sanders?

3. Nook

Nook Member

Who is defending the purity of Hillary Clinton? All I am saying is that this is another attempt to heave a scandal at her to limit her efforts in 2016... which seems to be strategy to beat her, which is not likely to be an effective way to beat her IMO.

4. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Exceptions which prove the rule.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

No matter who you are, you have to admit this looks ultra shady but at the same time ask yourself: can we truly assume Hilary Clinton was stupid enough to make a mistake she knew would be uncovered sooner or later?

It also looks like something another candidate dug up,

Despite that, we're all well aware Hilary wouldn't be the most forthright president.

6. Remii

Remii Member

When the prisons started getting filled with Blacks and Hispanics and the correctional industry exploded was under Clinton's watch. I'm actually worried about what his chick is going to do.

7. GladiatoRowdy

Might want to check your assumptions, the large rise in the rate of people going to prison started under Reagan...

[​IMG]

8. Remii

Remii Member

Excuse me... When the prisons really started getting filled with Blacks and Hispanics. How's that...??? And Clinton didn't give a damn about the disproportionate time that was being handed out between crack and cocaine.

9. GladiatoRowdy

By the time Clinton took office, that number was already over a million, having increased 300% during the Reagan and Bush administrations. During his tenure, that number went up 40%.

To be fair, no politician has seemed to care about the powder/crack cocaine sentencing disparity. That isn't a Clinton thing, it is a politician thing.

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

How does a President influence that? He has to support the law of the land.
    Look how Mr. Obama is hemmed in by the charge of the office, we think we know how he feels privately but as President he can't even say it much less act on it.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

From this graph, it looks like the trend actually begins in 1976 under Gerald Ford, probably due to my birth the year before....

12. Remii

Remii Member

Your chart isn't "color coordinated"... Bill Clinton was hard on the war on drugs specifically in the Black community (I guess that's because Blacks are the only drug users in this country). During the Clinton era the Black incarceration rate tripled and mandatory sentencing was in full force. He also passed some horrific immigration laws and we all know what a disaster the welfare to work program was (which pretty much created more crime and drug users).

Bill Clinton was a horrible president for minority communities but yet a lot of Black people foolishly praise him.

If you mean the law of the land that the government discriminates and or takes advantage of people he definitely stayed that course. And at least President Obama spoke out publicly against the disproportionate sentencing.

13. GladiatoRowdy

I'd love to see your data.

Every president since Reagan has taken a hard stance on crime and none have done anything to mitigate the harmful effects the War on Drugs has had on communities of color. Clinton was definitely a "stay the course" guy, but I haven't seen any data which would corroborate your 300% increase in minority incarceration claim.

I'm actually interested, I looked for data to substantiate your claim and didn't see any, love to see your source.

14. Remii

Remii Member

Why would they do anything when the government is allowing the dope to come into this country in the 1st place for that specific reason. And by no means am I saying Clinton started it but he took advantage of it big time. I have no fancy charts to show you but this article gives you some numbers.
    http://www.finalcall.com/national/incarceration03-06-2001.htm

This article touches on the prison topic, welfare, and immigration (which also effected Hispanics as well).
    http://academic.udayton.edu/race/2008ElectionandRacism/Clinton/clinton03.htm

This article is interesting as well.
    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2008/01/the_clinton_fallacy.html

Bill Clinton has been no different to Black folks than republican presidents... Probably worst. Racial profiling has always been around but you really started hearing dark skinned people complaining heavily about it under Clinton's watch but yet they still love him and now they want 8 more years of him and his old lady.