1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Imagine how good we would be if Morey had not botched the offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JCDenton, Nov 13, 2014.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Am I the only who thinks this thread is actually worth 2 stars or 3? Denton dude was pointing out possible mistakes Morey made. We all know about them. Morey makes mistakes but corrects them fast. He is a smart guy.

I did not follow Denton's history of failed threads but 1 star for telling one's opinion that is not the majority's opinion?

What happened to viewing things from various angles before judging them?

2. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

[​IMG]

3. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

How ironic, considering that OP is trying to judge how good we are after eight games.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I probably would have gotten rid of Parsons one or the other way too but an upgrade at PG and PF was much needed last year and this year as well despite of the early regular season success

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

One part is b****ing about Morey but the other part was stirring up some reactions from other posters, starting a conversation

Some words used were too harsh maybe

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Nice sarcasm.

7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

So is this a "Fire Morey" thread, or just a "What if?" thread, coz I have some good "What if's."

I always wonder what if we hadn't made that Eddie Griffin trade. My time machine in the basement is almost finished, so after we go back to the Parsons event, let's stop off in 2001. Discuss!

8. scottie brooks

not any...

9. wise_man

wise_man Member

F*** u and f*** ur parsons and ur stupid comment.

10. dje243

dje243 Member

There was a game last season where I remember DMO basically shutting down Dirk and even making him work on defense on the other end, posting him up successfully several times. I was a little frustrated that DMO didn't even get a chance at guarding LMA in the playoffs. I mean I don't think it would have changed anything, but I still wanted to see him get a crack at it.

11. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

Umm, Clutch...can you please revoke OP's thread-starting privileges?????

12. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Yeah, let's talk about how that dummy Morey ruined our team and left us with a 7-1 start with all wins in double digits. How could you do this to us, Morey?!

Worst thread of the new season. Weak.

13. archinkent

archinkent Member

So...we will be 8-0 now. Wow...

14. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Morey's one mistake in his offseason plan was to be unlucky. No one man can complete a trade or free agent signing by himself. It takes two. At least.

As it turns out, we're a better team than last year for the Ariza signing and all the small things Daryl did to fill out the bench.

If you don't think we're better than last year, get a new TV.

15. alethios

alethios Member

JCDenton, it's time to let Parsons go. Morey did him and Fegan a favor. In the end it's about business as well as trying to make your team better. There can always be more optimal ways to go, but those don't usually present themselves as foresight but rather hindsight. I still trust Morey to do a better job than anyone on this BB.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Ok. There is alot of ways to react to this post, but first things first. Where were you when this cat came out of the bag??

http://rockets.clutchfans.net/7680/...rd-agent-agreement-chandler-parsons-contract/

Yes, letting Parsons out of his contract a year early was a mistake. Most of us thought it was a very risky gamble before we knew what the market would look like. Now that we know, it was definitely a mistake. However one that was unavoidable.

Which leads me to my second point... Trading Parsons last year-

You do realize that if Morey was truly in the latter stages of setting up a trade that involved Parsons, Dan Fegan would find out and find a way to let them know that if traded there, they would either have to let him out of his deal this past Summer, or he would walk the following year right? No way in Hell a GM like Danny Ainge getting Parsons second hand is going to give a crap about a handshake agreement Morey had with Fegan the Summer before, and there is little chance he finds value in letting him out of his contract early.

The arrangement that Fegan had with Morey was contingent on Parsons getting out of his deal a year early. No way in hell they are going to allow Morey to get off of their arrangement by trading him beforehand.

When Morey shook Fegan's hand in agreeing to terms regarding Dwight Howard, he knew that the deal was contingent upon HIM letting Parsons out of his deal a year before... not Danny Ainge or any other GM. Parsons was probably never seriously brought up in trade discussions because Morey knew that it wouldn't end well for anyone, and they would become quick enemies with Fegan and that could have repercussions with Dwight.

Morey made mistakes this Summer yes.... However, the mistakes he made could only have been corrected if he hadn't made a deal with the devil himself to secure Dwight Howard coming to Houston.

When you take all of that into consideration, it makes alot of the other ideas you address in the OP pretty obsolete & not really worth mentioning. Enemy #1, 2, and 3 from the Summer and even going into the Summer of 2016....

(When Dwight will almost CERTAINLY opt out to be made whole as the final act of the 2013 Dwight Howard agreement)

.... has to be Dan Fegan first and foremost, and he's not going anywhere for awhile.

1 person likes this.
  17. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

This topic has been debated ad nauseam on this board, but here's a quick refresher:

1. Yes, Morey took a huge risk and it didn't pan out. There is no way around it.
    2. Our goal was another superstar; either Carmelo or Bosh.
    3. Parsons is NOT a superstar, therefore he was let go.

Now, if the gripe is that we let Parsons walk away with nothing in return, then that's a legitimate concern and I share it as well. But then again, this is a league where actual superstars are often traded or lost to free agency without much in return. That is the nature of the market and Parsons is far from a superstar. Thus, losing a role-player should be viewed as a simple casualty of the system.

Secondly, OP's discussion is legitimate in nature but hypothetical. Sure, had we gotten Bosh and retained Parsons, then this team would be much better on paper and probably the frontrunner to win it all this season. That much is obvious. However, a few things might have been different. Harden might have had a different approach to the season. His current inspired MVP-type performance might not have materialized had he not been cornered by the media about losing all the assets this offseason leading to his "know your role" attitude which has caused him to takeover this team.

Lastly, I share the same concerns as the OP. The "what ifs" definitely makes one uneasy as a fan. However, we must remember the cards Morey had and the hand he could play with them. To that extend, Morey did a great job. It is very difficult to hit the jackpot three years in a row with Harden, Howard, and possibly Bosh. To Morey's credit, very few GM would ever be the position salary-cap-wise to make the moves that Morey is now being criticized for not making. That is true risk taking. More put himself in a position to pull the trigger on a third blockbuster deal when most GMs can't make just one to begin with. So, let's not get too concerned about the "what ifs" because Morey is positioning himself once again next offseason to make a bold move with the pieces he has quietly amassed thus far and the cap room he will be allowed. That is all one should expect from a GM - to put the team in a position to make bold moves every offseason and to that effect Morey deserves much credit.

18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Effin Troll.

Ariza, Terry, and Papa are all contributing. We haven't screwed up our cap flexibility and we're 7-1.

19. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

OP said DM is "brainless" and any armchair GM on CF could have done better. If he's brainless, he clearly must have finished last in his class at MIT. Can someone check on that? Besides, even Mark Cuban said DM is very smart, and he's even on Shark Tank! Gag me with a spoon! Bye, Felicia!

20. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

Got Damn man....you started are r****ded thread about nothing. So instead of being 7-1 we could be 8-0?? If you've seen other people post this numerous times its because you're b!tch!ing like a lil house wife that has a good life. You're the dude that sees the pimple on Brooklyn Deckers forehead while banging her and you can't continue because the pimple is throwing your strokes off.

I AM WE TODD DID
    I AM SOFA KING WE TODD DID

#100 sjackson0, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014