1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm really ashamed to admit this .....

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by codell, Oct 4, 2010.

1. codell

codell Contributing Member

....but I have grown to love, NASCAR.

First off, let me say this: I have been on the side that said NASCAR is a stupid redneck sport where they only turn left, blah blah blah. I have had zero interest in this in the past; you couldn't pay me to watch it. So I doubt there are many on here that have felt as strongly as I have about NASCAR.

Last Christmas, my wacky aunt gave my son a Jimmie Johnson/Lowe's replica car for a present. My son is all about going to Lowe's with Daddy on the weekends so of course, he loved it, even though he didn't really know what it was.

Early this spring, I was watching something on FOX and when it was over, I just left the TV on and went outside to do some work in the garage. About 2 hours later, I came in and there is my son, glued to one of the first spring NASCAR races. I begged him to let me change it, but he was all excited because he saw his toy car there on the TV racing. We ended up watching the rest of the race. Afterwards, i was still firmly convinced that NASCAR was still a stupid "sport" and was glad it was over. Fast forward to next weekend; my son asks me if he can watch the Lowe's car again. I obliged and we watched most of the race. Still I was relatively convinced this was dumb, but after a couple of on-track/off-track driver rifts, my curiosity was raised.

Fast forward to today. Damn, I am hooked on this!! I finally get it. I get why this is so popular and I now feel pretty dumb for every thinking NASCAR was silly. I watch every weekly NASCAR show (NASCAR Racehub, NASCAR NOW and Inside NASCAR). In fact, I just bought my whole family passes for the fall race in Ft. Worth (tickets are damn expensive). We may even rent an RV and camp on the infield (which I hear is one big party).

Things I like about it:

1) There really is a lot more to this than non-fans think. There is a lot of science and physics involved. If anyone is a car geek and likes physics/science, if you give this a chance, you'll like it. The cars they drive really are an amazing piece of technology and the money they put into them would blow your mind.

2) There is a lot of strategy involved. It's not just turning left. It's getting the car right. It's driving a certain way. Most everyone's cars are relatively equal; it really is the driver that makes the most difference (which is why Jimmie Johnson has won 4 titles in a row and is in position to win a 5th).

3) The personalities. NASCAR has almost a pro-wrestling like element to it. There are good guys (like Greg Biffle, Jimmie Johnson, Jamie McMurray) bad buys (Kevin Harvick, both Busch brothers, Ryan Newman) and tweeners (Tony Stewart (an *******, but easy to root for), and Jeff Gordon). Almost every race has some true bad blood and post-race garage confrontations are pretty common. I especially like how NASCAR allows drivers to retaliate against each other out on the track (i.e. if one driver wrecks another, you can guarantee that driver will be taking revenge and wrecking the person at fault). During one race, Brad Keselowski came out during introductions and in front of 150,000 people said "Kyle Bush is an *******". If that happened in the NBA or NFL, you would be thinking suspension. The crowd ate it up here.

Things I don't like:

1) The races are kind of long and it is hard to watch one from start to finish. The thing is, the minute you tune away, is when something spectacular or interesting happens.

2) The mass-marketing. All the driver's are the same. When they get interviewed, they all say the same thing "Well, I just want to thank our [insert sponsor (i.e. Fedex)][insert engine manufacturer (i.e. Toyota)] for the outstanding job they did today" while sipping on their beverage sponsor (Coke, Pepsi, Gatorade, etc). I have never seen a sport with so many sponsors/advertisers. It is irritating at first, but you get used to it.

As much as I have grown to love NASCAR, I still agree that it's not quite a sport, at least not on the level of football/baseball/basketball. I will say there is no doubt that these driver's are in great condition (save maybe Tony Stewart) as they are pulling negative/positive Gs throughout the race. Kind of like a fighter pilot. However, it is definitely debatable in whether they are true athletes (although if you see a few guys, like Mark Martin and Carl Edwards, there isn't much doubt they are athletes). However, if you give NASCAR an honest chance (at best, you have to go into with a neutral attitude), you'll find it is quite entertaining. You have to watch at least 2-4 races and get to know all the drivers.

1 person likes this.
  2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

It's fun to get drunk and listen to commentators with Southern accents rant about fuel cells, restrictor plates and chasis.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's good to admit that you have a problem.

The next step is to seek professional help.

1 person likes this.
  4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You should be ashamed.

5. H-Rockets

H-Rockets Member

really??? NASCAR??? :confused:

6. Mr. Space City

I tried to get into NASCAR but just couldn't.

I still don't understand how some NASCAR fans don't like Formula 1.

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

But they are just going in circles..

I fall alseep after about 20 laps

8. codell

I think some of the appeal of NASCAR that other racing lacks, is the close proximity of the "action" (swapping paint). Seeing how close these cars race to each other at 180mph is what has really appealed to me.

9. codell

There is so much more to it than that though. That is why you have to watch 2-4 races (at least) and have a rooting interest (either for or against) certain drivers. If you don't, then yes, it is boring.

10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I never got excited over NASCAR, but I do recognize that it is a great sport many people watch.

Different strokes for different folks I guess...

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'm not a fan of nascar but its because Formula 1 takes out the human aspect of racing. The guys who win usually have the fastest cars. You stick Hamilton in any other car and he loses. In Nascar, all the cars are equal and there are more variables to winning. Right car setup, tire wear, drafting and skill. In F1 you have computers and wings to keep your car straight on the ground.

It requires a superior driver to win in Nascar, In F1, not as much.

I'm more of a MotoGP fan. You can stick Rossi on a tricycle and he would still be on the podium. They put him in a Ferrari F1 car for the first time, and his times were about the same as the top drivers in the sport. He is the best motosport racer of all time.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Go stand in the corner!

;)

13. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I'm not a NASCAR fan, but NASCAR is so much more competitive than Formula 1 that it's easy to understand.

codell, have you watched MotoGP? It's the greatest racing in the world. It has the competitiveness and the outsized personalities that NASCAR does, but they race on more interesting tracks and courses, and the races only take about 1 hour.

14. YallMean

YallMean Member

Good for you.
    Now go watch the traffic.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I thought a lot of the appeal was going to the races and shotgunning cases of bud/miller/coors swill?

16. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Talladega and Daytona are the best tracks....

17. YaosDirtyStache

I am inclined to disagree, I honestly find zero redeeming qualities to NASCAR. A literal circle drive featuring rolling advertisements catered to people who can barely read, love Palin, and drink Miller High Life to feel classy.

Pass.

1 person likes this.
  18. codell

I've starting to watch a little bit of all the racing (except drifting, which isn't really racing). I've seen some of the MotoGP; like NASCAR, I am sure if I followed it regularly i would like it more.

I do think the tracks/courses make a difference as far as entertainment goes. At first, I only liked the super speedways, but now, i am really digging the short tracks like Briston and Dover as there is a lot more action.

I would like NASCAR even more if they were shortened to 1-2 hours instead of 3-4.

19. codell

btw, if anyone remembers Brad Daugherty, he is one of the main color guys for ESPN on race days. He owns a few race teams I believe and has since he retired from the NBA.

20. codell

There is no doubt there are plenty of old-school NASCAR redneck fans. They race all over the country now, including Vegas, Arizona and California and plenty of their fans are well educated, trust me.