1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm pretty damn excited

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by moestavern19, Oct 20, 2000.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

yeah yeah yeah , The Lakers haven't won , The Rockets are 4-1 , Preseason means nothing . But can we see the coming together of this team ? Would we be beating Seattle , Portland , and San Antionio just beacuse they didn't play their starters?? Or is it because we are a CONTENDER in the West , Ok so preseason might mean nothing , the San Diego Chargers went 4-0 in preseason and they now are 0-7 in the NFL regular season . The NBA is group of 29 teams that can come together on any night , Ok so the Lakers did it more than the Clippers . But Does this mean anything?

------------------
    This signature space for rent call 555 ...

[This message has been edited by moestavern19 (edited October 20, 2000).]

2. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

It looks like the Rockets can play good D when they're motivated. And it looks like they're motivated against the best in the west as they were giant killers last year. Now it looks like they are continuing the trend with a defensive-minded win over Portland.

I just hope they realize that when they put in the defensive effort they can play with ANYONE in this league. Hopefully, last night will be all the proof they need to commit themselves to D.

Long live the wolf pack!

------------------
    "Not just a layup, but a mundane layup." -- Calvin Murphy, not realizing that a mundane layup IS just a layup.

3. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

In the games that I watched, Dallas and Seattle both were putting out effort and trying to win. Some the keys in the Seattle game was the Mooch gloving the Glove, and a swarming defense at some key times.

Portland, played like they were bewilderd at the Rox intensity level when we turned it up a notch. The D we played is the same D that all teams that want to beat Portland, must play. It was sweet.

This ability to switch tactics midgame and recover from deplorable shooting to me was the real Rocket success of last night's exhibition. Not too many games ago, the Rockets would have withered.

Impressions: We are still not playing at full speed or full attention. The speed generated by Steve, Mobes, Mooch, Shandon and yes, Carlos and even Cato at times is scarry. When we start to click, when passes are sharper and more accurate, when the running game starts to take real advantage of the new ref propensity for calling touching/reaching, bumping fouls, when balls start to fall instead of popping out ... well, this team will indeed be a very formidable competitor.

This team is not a flash in the pan.

------------------

4. prettyricky

prettyricky Member

I'm with you, I really am trying not to get too excited because I want to stay as realistic as possible, but who can't we beat. We have to have the most underatted team in the league, but hey that's how I like it. Sneak up on em' and take em' out before they know what hit em'.

------------------
    "Isn't the purpose of the game to put the ball in the basket?"

5. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Exactly. Thank God Rudy has started implementing traps and presses throughout the game on a more frequent basis. Lord knows we've been victimized by a few over the years. Cato has always been good about hanging around in the backcourt to cause problems after a made basket.

------------------
    "Not just a layup, but a mundane layup." -- Calvin Murphy, not realizing that a mundane layup IS just a layup.