1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm off to France - Where would you go on your next vacation?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FranchiseBlade, Feb 13, 2005.

1. mulletman

mulletman Member

now i'm even more excited about my trip. but its still 5 months away:(

have you been before?

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just arrived in Paris this morning. The rude thing is a combination of old warn out stereo-type that doesn't exist anymore, the tourists misunderstanding or being unwilling to accept local customs, or rude people.

Everyone so far has been nice and helpful. When I was in Paris before I've met some of the nicest most kind-hearted folks I've ever encountered. People in the Metro just asked me where I was going, and actually went out of their way to walk me to my destination, and also recommended some cheap eateries.

I have met a rude person in Paris before, and talked to one on the phone, but not any different than the ratio one would find in the U.S.

Just remember that wait staff in France are paid to be efficient not chatty. It isn't rude to them. Always say Bonjour Madame/Monsieur to the person tending a shop, don't hurry, and relax. Just doing those things will help a lot.

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been before, and loved it. I slept outside or barely slept the whole time for 3 days. I ran with the bulls once, and watched a bull fight. It is a constant party and a blast. If you don't reserve early be prepared to sleep outside. But dont' worry you will be far from alone.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Going to London tomorrow, Rugby for the weekend and Manchester on Monday, back to Austin on Tuesday.

What a stupid trip.....I have 2 meetings, one on Friday for an hour and one on Monday for an hour, so I have to travel 10k miles just to be there.

:(

Ugh.

DD

5. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Twice. '91 and '92. I want to go back at least once again, but San Fermin is a young man's (or woman's) gig.

Do you have accomodations lined up? If not, good luck. The good news is that the local authorities are VERY lenient about vagrancy! Seriously, just find a place to crash in one of the parks (the park at the Vuelta De Castilla is popular) or the bus station.

The party never stops and the bars in the Plaza de Castillo offer all-you-can-drink deals (Txoko was a favorite). Drinking on the street is legal and if you don't want to stay in one place, everybody sells cheap champagne and sangria by the bottle. Very affordable.

Not sure how long you're staying, but make sure you make the rounds of the old town. At night when the penas come out, pick one and follow them. They'll hit all the hot spots.

Two things you absolutely can't miss are actually running with the bulls (take it easy on the drinking one night and make sure you're sober and not hung over for this) and the fountain diving at Anzac Corner (The Navarreria).

Man, I'm jealous! Those were two of the most fun weeks I ever had.

6. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

FranchiseBlade,
    If you have time, on this trip or the next ;) , try going to in the south-west of France.
    I'm not going to praise the place because I was born there or anything :D , but I know a whole lot of US or English people that went there on vacation or to study and ended up living there!

ALA

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yeah I've heard the english are buying up properties all over Aquitaine and the Dordogne(sp?) region....that actually kind of sucks, IMO - although I guess iit's history repeating itself...

8. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

What we're going to have to win a 100 year old war again?!(because, yes we did actuallly win one! :p )

ALA

9. mulletman

mulletman Member

thanks for the info colt45 and FranchiseBlade:)

10. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I loved San Fermin. in Pamplona. About three years ago. Too old to sleep on the ground. Wife, son and I got there a day and a half early determined to sleep in the car if nothing else. Hit the streets first thing in the morning before searching for a room. Got a room on a prime party street. It was like sleeping in the middle of a 24 hr party. The crowds were sure jealous to see us go up to our room. So never give up. It was definitely a highlight. Incredible party and very well behaved crowds.

I just asked my wife if she wanted to go to Asia this summer. She said; "no". We have planned to get an All Asia pass for several years. We were shopping for one when 9/11 happened as we were going to see my sister who was about to move to Saipan. Her H decided not to take a job which was to have started in the following January when 9/11 happened.

Maybe I'll ask Wife again based on the longing this thread is causing near 5:00 pm at work.

Sam. I'm glad to see that you are getting out of that boring legal work for a while. I don't know how you do it. Don't you work for one of those slave driving mindlessly workaholic firms? Who cares which corporation screws whom?

Reminds me of the old joke.

What does Friday afternoon mean in a big law firm?

Ans: Only two more working days till Monday morning.

Told that one Saturday at the law firm (small) when I went in to get my jacket I forgot. I was Just a mere hourly law clerk during school. Nobody laughed.

11. Win

Win Contributing Member

Brazil. Especially if your single.