1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[I'm ignorant] Educate me on Silas' offensive system

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Oct 7, 2021.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

CONFIRMED
    not sure if that would be enough to get BS here tho...

perhaps something like 45 future swaps, and 18 2nd round picks should be included to get it done

Jontro likes this.
  2. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Did you really reply that to me like I said it wasnt or like I dont know that he is? lol wth

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he think hes the smartest person in the world just because he knows better than Silas

Joe Rocket likes this.
  4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I agree with most of this. I think the one that doesn’t fit is Theis not Wood. Also disappointed in Theis’ defense and rebounding. Sequin and Wood will fit better and can alternate in the pick and roll sets and as facilitator at the top of the key. Sequin will definitely need to develop and consistent outside shot to meet his full offensive potential. He is already a better defender and rebounder than either Wood or Theis.

ashleyem likes this.
  5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Garuba is extremely raw and looks lost on team defense. He will spend a great deal of this year in the G-League. I think he will be a really good rotation piece later this year or next. I do agree with the Rick Adelman offense would be ideal for our lineup.

fattz likes this.
  6. fattz

fattz Member

I think Garuba should stick with the team learn in real time against real NBA talent. He is paying to be on our team so let him play. The organization is in a development stage and he is worthy of it. We my lose a game or 40 as he learns but long term he and the Rockets are better for it. Bring in coaches for him snd hold him accountable for what he is learning. I would enjoy watching him grow, this is building a fan base for him and the team.

Positive things happen when he is on the court already.

This is a coaching thread let’s see some coaching.

slothy420 and hakeem94 like this.
  7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'd like to make assessments on our team at this point, but man it's hard when they are young and only played a few games together. Everyone knocking on the Wood/Theis line up is out of their minds. There is zero chemistry between those two at this point. Maybe they will develop chemistry, maybe they won't. At this point I would venture to say that although these two are in the starting line up now, that may not be the case later down the road.

I guess I want to wait and see how things look a few months from now. Regardless of how you feel about Silas, he does deserve time to actually implement whatever he is going to implement and for us to judge from that. There have been questionable things he did while James was here but I am going to go ahead and say last year was a wash and he doesn't deserve to be judged off that entirely.

This team is young, with some not very talented veterans, so ultimately we are going to be a very inconsistent team. The team has only been together for two weeks, let's at least allow a little bit of time to pass. Not trying to fire coach just yet.

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you know who is also prettty raw? Coach Silas...

How about we send him to g league to let him have a lot of hands on coaching practice before ruining our entire future....

NewAge likes this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

perhaps silas is not to blame for the last year but to say he deserves to implement whatever he wants to implement for us to judge from that is a reach...

how many years hes allowed to ruin for us before its fair(lolol) to fire him or relegate him to assistant coach?

this is not a charity organization, you either show me something real fast or youre gonner

ship him to kings so that we can see what hes capable of and hire a true coach to develop our young and lead this team

10. swakid8

swakid8 Member

I don’t think we really much of a choice to give him time. This isn’t like the Texans here doing things and making moves that don’t makes sense. I give the man some time to implement what he is going to implement. Rome Empire wasn’t built overnight, same goes for a lot of Dynasties that dominated this league. Our city already has one great example of a successful rebuild process that’s currently still playing in another playoffs series….

11. NewAge

NewAge Member

On Spacing: it is not the holy grail that the blog-boys and the Morey-cultists make it out to be. It's just a factor.
    [The Ringer had a very nice piece yesterday on the Lakers and how they consider the trade-offs between spacing, physicality and other factors. Very good read, I recommend it. Fact is, Lakers chose Russ over Buddy Hiled and his spacing this summer, much to the horror of the entire blog-boy commentariat, yet they are still considered favorites in the West, including by some of the same blog-boys who killed them for the Westbrook deal... It's all hot gas...
    https://www.theringer.com/2021/10/8/22716122/nba-size-los-angeles-lakers ]

As far as the Rockets are concerned, we have a borderline All-Star big who is a great shooter from distance, plus three other bigs to chose from as a complement (Alpi, Usman and Theis). None of them are great at shooting, but all of them would let it fly from time to time... What I am saying is, chose the best player to play alongside Wood, which is Sengun. It's not like Garuba or Theis are these great spacers... Also, with Wood's great shooting, it's not like we'll be playing Capella and Andre Drummond together... Also, old school high-post/low-post Alpi/Wood "spacing" is a thing, too, you know; it's not like if you don't have four guys behind the 3pt line and people will be stepping on each other's heads... I wouldn't be concerned with spacing with Wood/Sengun at all.

On defense: Wood would switch! Alpi is probably better to drop... Remember this video from practice a few days ago where Wood (Team A) harassed House (Team B) on the perimeter to force an air-ball, which Sengun (Team B) got by boxing out pretty-boy (Team A), for a putback? What I am saying is: Sengun should be on Team A (and Green on Team B), and you end-up the defensive possession with the ball...

Y2JT likes this.
  12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I appreciate everyone that's participated in this thread because it hasn't derailed into a slugfest though there's still time for that.

Jumping back into the conversation:

Here's why I think it would be hugely beneficial for Silas to have more structure in the offense:

1. Green. Remember this kid went from high school straight to the G League. I don't know what kind of offense the Ignite team was running but with him playing only 15 games (as opposed to the 30+ games a college freshman would have played) he needs more time to familiarize himself with a pro-level offensive system. I'm pretty sure his high school team barely ran any plays outside of isos. It would help his growth as an NBA player (thereby fulfilling his true potential) to run an offense where he's learning where to be on the floor. Remember how well

2. Wood. The guy can score and he's talented. Confusing body language aside, he should be the primary scoring option to start the season....so why don't you structure the offense right now around that idea? Rather than have KPJ ad-lib for most of the game, why don't you have him run a PnR with Wood every 2-3 possessions as a requirement not only to get a feel for how both KPJ and Wood works together in those situations and also allow Wood to find easy baskets rather than trying to take his man one-on-one all the time?

3. KPJ. Talented player but like plenty have said already, being a starting point guard in the NBA is hard. You have to learn how to pick apart the defense in real time and there's a finite amount of time in each possession for you to get your team a quality shot. Silas should have told KPJ "I want you to work with Theis on a few high screens tonight to get both of you familiarize to one another--how he screens your man and what kind of angle he can provide you to get to the basket. Also, this allows you to survey the court and find an open man if your shot isn't there".

4. Sengun. I don't have to say anything more than what has already been said. If you're going to play him with the reserves this season (an unwise decision if true), run the offense through him. Right now, if he's on the court with Christopher, Brooks, Martin, and (player TBD), chances are he's your best passer and also your most willing passer. Have JC or Brooks bring the ball down but have Sengun meet them at the top of the three point line where he gets the ball so he can initiate the offense at the top. Have the other players move around (e.g. baseline cut) to give Sengun options to use at his disposal. He has good footwork and enough spin moves to make himself dangerous driving to the basket but he's also smart enough to find an open man if that gives the team a better shot.

I'll agree that it's too early to criticize Silas but it's not too early to implement a structured offense, especially if you are wanting to win a few games during the regular season where you're not relying on KPJ, Wood, Gordon, etc. going off for 50. And for all the developing chemistry talk, what better way to develop chemistry in real game situations than to run a structured offense and, once the game is over, you have research material on what a player does well or not well?

#152 steddinotayto, Oct 9, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    fattz, D-rock, ashleyem and 1 other person like this.
  13. steddinotayto

I don't think the Lakers should be a good example to shoot for considering their two best players are pretty much outliers even in today's NBA. Their pivot away from spacing is out of necessity more than anything else and the reason why they're still considered one of the favorites is because of LeBron and AD. If those two are healthy and stay healthy during the playoffs, no one has enough size to stop them in the West. Those two can get the Lakers 50-60 points on a nightly basis which means you're only asking the rest of the 13 man roster to chip in 4-5 points apiece. And it's not like they DON'T have 3 point shooters on the roster. The calculus they're trying to perform is "Okay you, Team X, can shoot 30-40 3s a night. What if we suffocate you with defense, slow the game down, punish you inside with our size and speed. That drops your 3 point attempts down to 20-30. How are you going to make the difference up in the boxscore? Mid range shots, where only a select few teams are good at? Post up, where we have the size and defense to defend the paint?"

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you should be an assistant to coach @D-rock

jch1911, ashleyem and D-rock like this.
  15. steddinotayto

As much as I respect @D-rock 's bbiq, the moment Stone trades for Simmons he and I will butt heads and I would have to sabotage him so that he gets fired ;)

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

So what does that make you?

You obviously believe you also know better than Silas, or Heaven forfend, even me.

17. NewAge

NewAge Member

Look, man... This is all very simple: talent is more important than system. Russell Westbrook is a better player than Buddy Hield, period. you get Russell and not worry about spacing and shiat...
    Same should apply for the Rockets: Sengun is your second best big right now. You play Sengun and figure out the scheme that suits him and Wood. Don't be a slave to stupid junk-science dogma, don't be drinking the Kool-Aid of the Morey-cult. That's what I am saying...

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Lakers decry spacing because they are extremely physical and skilled near the basket.

That's really not the Rockets.

Rockets no longer made up of THICC skilled players.

And spacing without movement (not just ball movement) is useless on this team. The better teams have no fear of static offenses.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Do not disagree that talent trumps system.

But you're going to be very sad for a while because Silas is all in on his 5 Out offense.

And so is Stone.

And this 5 out system of Silas' has NOTHING to do with Morey or D'Antoni.

There many ways to skin a cat.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hahahahahahha!
    [​IMG]