1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[I'm ignorant] Educate me on Silas' offensive system

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Oct 7, 2021.

1. juanming

juanming Member

Yes I agree.. it's kinda sad that a g league coach is better than Silas at both offense and defense

Porter and kj were playing to their strengths unlike with Silas

If they fired Silas tomorrow and hired abdulfattah I would be okay with that

And to be more specific I don't think it's all about X's and o's with Silas , honestly I'm not in the huddle but from all his interviews including in camp he just seems to be more a players friend with no fire whatsoever

You either have it or you don't.. someone can't just flip a switch and go from a passive coach to a firey coach. Football analogy , he's more of a jack pardee, but I'm convinced NBA players won't take the coach seriously unless he's Mike ditka.lol

Anyways all of y'all are giving him a free pass because of last year because of harden and covid-19 but that does not change the fact that he lacks fire he doesn't have the personality to be an aggressive coach and he made poor substitutions

I mean abdulfattah was utlilizing Brooks and kj and even lamb..but Silas just has a hard on for his vets..last year it was playing wall over Porter now he's doing it again with house and theis and Augustin

I mean sengun should be starting over theis...nope. Not with Silas

Brooks should be playing over exum or Augustine..nope not with Silas

Kj Martin should be getting burn over house...nope

Just the wrong coach at the wrong time

hakeem94, fattz, CHAMPBOY and 4 others like this.
  2. bmelo

bmelo Member

Adelman and Jvg only real coaches since Tomjanovich. Others just puppets

3. bmelo

bmelo Member

This dude must think he created Luka. But the truth is Luka created him lol… yeah its easy giving ball to best euro prospect ever and seeing good results. But its not gonna work with every single talent he coaches lol

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I got mad at this during the summer league. if you implemented the plays then they would have a feel for them by seasons start but oh well.

hakeem94, D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  5. NewAge

NewAge Member

Yes, Theis-Wood probably looked better in theory but in two games has not looked well.

Agree also that Green should be coming off the bench. The dream backcourt of the future is not looking very promising. I don’t see at all how Green and KPJ are complementing each other, what is the idea of having them at the same time? I don’t see any synergy. Green’s yapping about being a superstar notwithstanding, I’d like to see if he can be a competent 6th man scorer off the bench. How about we see first if you can be the next Jamal Crawford / Clarkson and then we’ll take it from there on the superstar business…

Here’s where I Differ:
    1. I think we need to experiment with JC as a starting 2-guard. The kid has a very positive energy, he plays with force. A lot of mistakes, true but I need to see if we can get amped up from tip-off with him starting.
    2. Sengun should start. In theory it doesn’t make much sense to have another playmaker with Wood and KPJ, but I am just going by evidence. Wood benefitted surprisingly well with Olynik last year. Sengun is somewhat similar in that he can put the ball on the floor, make good passes and create. That should be tried.

bj3175, hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  6. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

You have great points!! Brooks, Martin should play more and Sengun should start over Theis but its too early to have Coach Silas FIRED. He need to make personnel changes now and he needs to be more tough to his players. If Wood and Porter is not playing hard SIT THERE BUT ON THE PINE. He does need to be tougher I believe coach John Lucas. He is a old school coach and i heard the players LOVE him and they say he is always tough on them.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

I agree that JC is more SG/SF than PG. If Silas insists on playing him at PG then he will need to go down to G League and learn the position with max reps.

Like Porter did, to his benefit.

As for why Olynyk worked with Wood offensively, he was a viable 3ball threat, Sengun cannot space the floor like that.

And while he is a surprisingly good defender, still not good enough to switch everything. Better in drop coverage, which is where Wood is being hidden.

2 bigs that that struggle switching would be BBQ chicken every possession.

8. 34to11

34to11 Member

I remember I used to give CF the benefit of the doubt too but sadly that benefit has waned drastically over the last decade or so.

I'm a fan both those former coaches but it's hard for me to believe that anyone who was a Rockets fan during the Adelman years, much less the JVG years, would want this young, talented but woefully inexperienced team in either of their hands.

Green might get 15 minutes a game off the bench for Adelman and JVG would be looking to trade Şengün to clear a spot for Marcus Camby to come out of retirement.

But seriously, while I agree much of it is impetuous overreaction (two freakin PREseason games) there is, without a doubt, a notable amount of cluelessness at play as well.

CVcrew and D-rock like this.
  9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

The system is very complex and has been developed over many years of careful thought and analysis.

It goes like this.
    1. Whoever grabs the rebound gets to run down the other end and shoot it.
    2. If the other team scores, give it to the point guard, who brings it over half court and passes it to someone, who takes a shot.
    3. If the other team scores, and a player who wants to shoot doesn't feel like the point guard will pass it to them, that ayer should try and force the point guard to inbound it to them. Then see point 1.
    4. If Josh Christopher is on the floor, he is allowed to do whatever it takes to get a shot up, including trying to steal the ball from his team mates.
    5. If you shoot it and miss, go and complain to the officials.
    6. If your name is Wood or Gordon, repeat point 5 twice

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Move over triangle. Take a backseat motion offense. Silas' chaos system is the new hotness.

Crashlanded19, cheke64 and D-rock like this.
  11. bmelo

bmelo Member

Everything you wrote about Green applies to KPJ even more. Thats why Wall should start and make it easier for Green

34to11 likes this.
  12. bmelo

bmelo Member

What are you talking about? Did JVG at rockets get even top 15 pick? JVG would love Sengun im telling you that for sure

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

we cant be held hostages to silas, perhaps hes not guilty for the last year, but we deserve a great proven coach, trade silas to sacto or some other loser franchise to be his guinea pig....
    we can not develop the rookies with a coach that is undeveloped himself

D-rock likes this.
  14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I did forget point 7

If Danuel House gets breathed on, fall over and throw ball towards hoop

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  15. Caesar

Caesar Member

We would suck for a few years with any coach

34to11 likes this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

D-rock likes this.
  17. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

They don't move enough on offense. They don't have the horses for ISO but they're ISOing away. Defense just packs the paint and closes out on poorly setup 3 point attempts. They've got good shooters but somehow lack spacing.

Green should be whirling around picks (set by Theis, who is hereby disallowed to shoot 3 pointers) and springing open for 3. Porter should be running pick n roll with Theis, Wood, Martin, House, basically anyone. Any time Wood has a guard pinned on the post he should be getting the ball and looking for a shooter or getting his shot over a small boi. Sengun seems like a willing passer and nobody around him will cut to the rim. They are not running in transition, which is where a young team should be eating a veteran team's lunch.

They stand still like Harden's teams except they don't have a master magician to pull rabbits from hats. They set up like they're going to play drive/kick but hardly anyone drives and even less kick. They certainly don't do it more than once a possession.

Need passing. Need off-ball movement and pick setting. We can hype these guys all we want they are NOT good enough for some my turn/your turn ISO ball like we still have Harden and CP3.

18. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Sengun passes like Brad Miller and Vlade Divacs in the post. The problem is theses guards have to learn to use there superior speed off the ball and allow the bigs more touches while they get their touches off of cuts curls and screens. Then iso when necessary

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I have seen enough, you should be the co-coach with @D-rock

D-rock and Dankstronaut like this.
  20. Denovo

Denovo Member

I don’t understand the logic behind benching KPJ or Green. Let them work through their growing pains throughout the season and improve.

Giving up on a 21 year old and a 19 year old after 2 preseason games doesn’t make sense to me.

I think ppl are too used to us being a contender that they don’t know what a rebuilding team looks like. We’re supposed to suck rn.

Let KP and Green learn from their mistakes throughout the season and bring in Banchero next year.

SN: Theis needs to be benched. Tate needs to be starting at sf, he’s a stabilizer and a glue guy.

Sengun needs a lot more minutes. I’m not understanding the short lease he’s on.

Personally I would like to experiment with..

KP
    Green
    Tate
    Garuba or KJ
    Wood.

fattz, Joe Rocket and D-rock like this.