1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[I'm ignorant] Educate me on Silas' offensive system

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Oct 7, 2021.

1. dmoneybangbang

Sure… But Augustine could barely lead a lottery team as a full time point guard. My point is we are going to be very chaotic ( not in a good way) on offense.

napalm06 likes this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

perhaps silas can be a great coach in nba in another situations but rockets cant be his prisoners and guinea pigs...we need a real coach and dont even have to fire silas keep him as assistant

yes we have a lot of rookies but thats exactly why we shouldnt experiment with silas...

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yeah he did have good moments out of timeouts, but boy I'm not in love with running the Harden offense with a team full of rookies who celebrate hitting 3's in preseason games like they just made the kiss of death shot or something.

Silas better create some offensive structure or I have real doubts about our young guys actually growing as players. If Green or KPJ blossom into Harden and Durant 2.0 sure... let's go back to this but right now, I am just floored that right out of the gate they just run back the Harden offense like Jalen Green and KPJ are just more of the same as one of the great offensive talents of all time.

hakeem94, Bo6, NewAge and 3 others like this.
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

This. Some on here think that my ask is because I am expecting wins out of this team and this season...far from it. What I expect is for the coaching staff to being able help the rookies transition into the NBA by, y'know, providing structure as needed. If they run a few plays/sets and mistakes were made or shots weren't falling that can be reviewed during film sessions and the coaching staff can point out what they can do better the next time. What the hell are they going to review when a "chaos offense" is being implemented?

Silas: "Yea, you see right here where you're not doing anything around this area Christian? You can't do that"
    Wood: "But Scoot has the ball and I was trying to get spacing"
    Silas: "Hmm that's true...Daniel you were over there near Kevin..why didn't you set a pick?"
    Theis: "He didn't call for a pick coach plus Jalen was coming my way and I thought I could screen his man off so he can get a shot"
    Silas: "Yea but Scoot was trying to score"
    Porter: "Actually I was trying to get the ball to Christian coach"
    Green: "Wait..I thought I was supposed to come to you to get the ball for an iso?"

Y2JT, IndoRockets, hakeem94 and 4 others like this.
  5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Still too early to make an evaluation on Silas. He got served up a **** sandwich last year that shouldn't even count.

That said, I hope we see some coalescence of a viable system and improvement.

I got no problem with the Ted Lasso approach to coaching...

jch1911 and D-rock like this.
  6. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

He will be gone just like how Mark Jackson was gone in GS.

hakeem94, DaDakota and D-rock like this.
  7. Salvy

Salvy Member

Its not like we had many choices, Van Gundy was the only proven head coach. I'm not saying I want Van Gundy I'm saying he was the best option at the time. Maybe Silas turns out better but from what I have seen, doubt it....

8. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Stone made a bad singing with Thesis, he is just a backup center. This guy is a center with hardly no rebounds in his career as a center. The one thing i remember Gundy said, If you can rebound and pass as a big man you will be fine. Sengun is PHYSICAL, he is not scared to rebound and a elite passer. Theis is not physical or can block shots. Also, Silas is using the wrong personnel, we need to see more Brooks with the second team(no need to worry about defense nobody is playin' defense anyway). I believe in Porter but he has to score 20 plus a game, and now i'm confuse about Wood. He scored 21 points a game and almost 10 rebounds last year he needs to be 25 points a game and at least 11 rebounds this year and 2 block a game.....if he want a MAX CONTRACT.....if he is not doing that he needs to be traded. Sengun needs to start right now and Gordon needs to start at SF.

PG- SCOOT, AUGUSTIN
    SG- GREEN, BROOKS
    SF- GORDON, TATE
    PF- WOOD, (MARTIN OR NWABA)
    C- SENGUN, THEIS

SEND GARUBA AND CHRISTOPHER TO THE G-LEAGUE
    CUT HOUSE AND KEEP EXUM FOR A TRADE DOWN THE LINE

hakeem94 and cheke64 like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Maybe Silas needs Abdelfattah's input because he was able to put Porter and the Vipers team into positions of success in a more organized and more expedient system.

Abdelfattah was also able to plug and play new players just as successfully.

His rotations were usually spot on and roles were well defined.

And that Vipers team also played with force.

10. 34to11

34to11 Member

This has ALWAYS been my greatest concern with him at that position.

Point guard is the most nuanced position on the court and to play it well is about more than just being a "good passer" but being
    1) an intuitive playmaker,
    2) being keenly aware of your teammates' strengths and tendencies,
    3) being able to read and anticipate defenses
    4) and understanding how to use all of that to control and manipulate the flow of an offense.

It's a tough thing to learn on the fly at the pro level.

11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

It was a three-year game plan to begin with we’re just about finished with plan A

D-rock likes this.
  12. Roc Paint

Coach will not be here when were competing for championships in two years

plan C @D-rock

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Silas is playing Wood as stretch 4 instead of 5.

Wood is struggling with transition plus Theis is looking like hot garbage at 5. He can't rebound or rim protect for shyte. And is so much more ineffective as screener and roller than Wood.

Silas has taken a 20/10 guy and reduced him to a 13/7 guy while at same time downgraded the efficacy of 5 spot.

End this experiment.

My rotation:

Scoot/Green/Augustin
    EGo/Armoni/Exum
    Tate/KJ/Nwaba
    Garuba/Theis
    Wood/Sengun (point center)

Green should feast against 2nd units.

And these units are more complimentary on offense and better balanced on defense.

Ridiculous to have 1 dimensional units, need to mix and max to optimize effectiveness.

And put us all out of our misery and trade/waive/jettison House.

Nook, hakeem94 and snowconeman22 like this.
  14. Roc Paint

I think all coach has to do right now is relate with the younger players. I love what he and John Lucas has done with this group so far. So basically coach is there right now for mentoring just as much as John Lucas

JVG will de here in 2 years to preach his defense

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you forgot JC?
    @Williamson

Williamson and D-rock like this.
  16. 34to11

34to11 Member

Thank you.
    Perspective is needed.

It's funny but sometimes embarrassing how CF routinely overreacts in such clueless fashion.
    Seeing people here actually pining for Jeff Van Gundy or Rick Adelman to coach a team featuring FOUR 19 year old rookies and a 21 year old OJT point guard tells you all you need to know.

Y2JT and napalm06 like this.
  17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This line of logic makes sense, I'll give you that.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. steddinotayto

The Warriors definitely needed to move on from Jackson but at least he drew up some creative ways to get his players open:

D-rock likes this.
  19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The problem is I know a lot of people here aren't clueless, they're just highly reactive. Emotional. This is pretty much why politics are the way they are.

ThrillaNManilla, cmoak1982 and 34to11 like this.
  20. steddinotayto

I was clueless when I made this thread because I wanted to know what Silas is bringing to the table as a coach on the offensive end. Truthfully speaking, I probably caught one or two games all year last year so I don't know what he could have tried to run last year. With that in mind, I was leaning on this forum to educate me on what to expect and, unfortunately, the answer isn't very comforting.