1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[I'm ignorant] Educate me on Silas' offensive system

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Oct 7, 2021.

1. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Still looks like a flawed strategy of isoball coupled with the beat them with math approach (3>2), but not easily done with a bunch of high volume, low percentage outside shooters and not-yet-established with (seemingly) low basketball IQ stars.

cheke64 and Jontro like this.
  2. solid

solid Contributing Member

Surely this has already been said, but "there is no system." Looks like Church League Chuck-a-rama to me.

vlaurelio and Nook like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Really hard to look good as a coach when you have a team as young and flawed as the Rockets. Porter and Wood are not easy to coach and half the roster is literally kids… but Wood/Gordon/Tate/Theis are rotation players on a good team or better…. No real excuse for this team to be 7 and 55 over the last 62 games. They are winning like 12% of their games and I don’t see improvement… and that rests in part on coaching.

dobro1229 likes this.
  4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Read and React. aka, Children reading Faulkner.

steddinotayto likes this.
  5. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Nobody forced the coach to play House so much last night and Christopher and Brooks (who are our best clutch players, along with Gordon) so little. Coach has MAJOR history of association with losing and it has carried, as expected, over to our team.

Richie_Rich and Jontro like this.
  6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I saw KPJ beat his man to the basket, picked up his dribble, and made a risky pass to an outside shooter that was guarded. They're guarding us man to man and we can't take advantage of it.

Wood or Sengun are the only players that suck the defense in since they have proven they can score back to back points. Wood this year is camping at the 3 line for no reason.

dobro1229 likes this.
  7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Congratulations you just described the offensive strategy of 30 teams.

I don't feel like looking this up but I'd be shocked if the Rockets ran a lot of pure isolations. I don't think they do.

Edit: they don't. 7% of their plays are isolations. Brooklyn leads with 12%, Spurs 3% are last.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Brooks has showed very little when given the opportunity. He is nothing but a streaky outside shooter who plays crappy defense. If you need some instant offense, put him in run a play for him. If he makes his first shot leave him in,if not get him out. Id like to see more JC, but don’t know where you get he is clutch since he has largely only got garbage minutes.

9. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks, but I don't have to watch 29 other teams on a nightly basis :confused:

10. SamFisher

Yeah you do. Watch what the other teams do when the Rockets are on defense.

I also think that it's amazing that - in the year 2021, people think shooting a bunch of 3 pointers is "the math approach" or at all a unique strategy or even "a strategy" . It's table stakes.

The Jazz lead the league with nearly 50% of their shots being from 3. Rockets middle of the pack with 40. The Spurs lag with 30.

But for reference, the Spurs last in the league 30% today would have been among the league leaders in 2014, when the Rockets smashed existing records with a new fangled offense that launched...34% from deep.

#550 SamFisher, Nov 12, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    dmoneybangbang likes this.
  11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

shoutout to @SamFisher for bringing up iso %s

Play Type:

Isolation
    Freq: 7.6% (11th in the NBA)
    PPP: .94 (T-10th)
    FG%: 42% (14th)
    To Freq: 12.6% (T-6th)
    Percentile: 65.5 (10th)

Transition:
    Freq: 17.3% (9th)
    PPP: .97 (29th)
    FG%: 52% (15th)
    To Freq: 17.1% (1st)
    Percentile: 3.4 (29th)

Pick and Roll Ball Handler
    Freq: 18.3% (14th)
    PPP: .69 (28th)
    FG%: 35.2% (27th)
    To Freq: 24.5% (1st)
    Percentile: 6.9 (28th)

12. SamFisher

For all the talk about ISO's - the leading ISO team in the NBA uses it...12% of the time.

I think the Rockets used it the most ever in 2019 when Harden was in 5-out god mode at 20.9%

13. Nook

Nook Member

Brooks defensively is better than 75% of the roster

Imanimal and Junebball like this.
  14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Outside of poor FT%, Opponents Points Off Fast Breaks are what's killing the Rockets

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/opponent-fastbreak-points-per-game

Rockets are:
    Total: 19.9 opponents points off fast breaks per game
    Home: 13.8 opponents points off fast breaks per game
    Away: 23.4 opponents points off fast breaks per game
    (We've mostly played away games)

Next closest is Philadelphia at 15.5 Opp pts off fast breaks

Some of that has to do with how raw Porter/Green are.
    Not getting back and protecting our rim.

We would have won this last game at home if Sengun played and House did not,
    but I digress.

steddinotayto likes this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

Good to see the numbers.

Maybe the Silas deniers can tell us what system they would like to run based off the numbers….

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It's almost as though Silas just doesn't remember what made Wood look really good early on in his tenure with the Rockets. P&R with Harden. Now he wants to turn him into Channing Frye for some reason.

Wood, and/or Sengun should be in the P&R on damn near every play. Put the ball in EG, and Augustine's hands more to create in the P&R. Let the youngsters play off the P&R as wings, and from the corners until they can learn to not turn the ball over on every damn play. It's not that hard to run a competent offensive NBA system.

cheke64 likes this.
  17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Only the Spurs have a worse team FT% than Houston's 69.6%....Spurs 69.0

Pop's must be a terrible coach. Fire him!

18. dmoneybangbang

Wood is allergic to setting screens without Harden.
    Wood seems to prefer to ISO and take his man off the dribble when given the chance.

Plus given the numbers posted above… we turn it over mucho during PNR.

dobro1229 likes this.
  19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

In his last year with Detroit (over 62 games), Wood as the PnR roll man:

Freq: 19.7%
    PPP: 1.5
    FG%: 71%
    EFG%: 75.7%
    Percentile: 95.4%

About 65% of his field goal attempts were 10ft or less from the basket

This year, as a PnR roll man:

Freq: 12.9%
    PPP: .89
    FG%: 44%
    EFG%: 47%
    Percentile: 16.4%

From the same distance he's shooting 15% less (~50% attempts) as opposed to 2 years ago

Christian Wood's last season as a Detroit Piston (specifically on plays where he scored):

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?f...teams&sct=hex&CF=PLAYER_NAME*E*Christian Wood

I watched probably 80 out of the 288 and, at the beginning of the season, Wood sucked at setting screens. He would position himself to set a pick and even before his teammate could use said pick he was already rolling. However, as the season went on and he got more playing time, the picks he set were pretty solid.

I went to watched clips from this season (again, only specifically on plays where he scored) and the picks were of the softer, half-asses variety that I saw at the beginning of the 2019-2020 season with Detroit.

dobro1229 and dmoneybangbang like this.