1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[I'm ignorant] Educate me on Silas' offensive system

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Oct 7, 2021.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Turnovers are the killers......and KPj needs to speed it up - he uses a slow pace, to BURST past his man with a quick first step, this works against defenses that are giving a little, but he needs to do the OPPOSITE when facing pressure, like Minnesota's D, go fast at them, then slow quickly to create that space....he needs variety.

Same for Green, he is all one speed......RAW SPEED ......needs a little Sam Cassel hurky jerk in his game.

DD

BelgianRocketsFan likes this.
  2. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Over play the vets even though we are rebuilding (Theis, Gordon, Nwaba, House) and go one on one a lot and when you do run a play it generates zero open shots so the random one on one's are actually better than your system eventhough your players arent really good one on one players. You got a big man who can facilitate sitting on the bench (Sengun). Your starting guard has poor pass vision but you dont start Sengun electing to start a shooting center Theis who is undersized and cant really shoot. Anytime someone gets hot you sit them (Green, Wood, Sengun). And anytime someone is off you play them more (Gordon, House, Nwaba). When you need shooters you put in a non shooter Nwaba when KJ Martin who shoots near 37% from 3 is sitting right there. When you need defense you play House instead of Nwaba. You dont really have a system because you're still learning how to be a head coach while at the same time trying to teach youngsters to be in the NBA. He is not a good fit for this team. He would have been fine with Harden and Westbrook because his one on one offense would be what they wanted. I think he was hired for them I could be wrong and he just doesnt know how to rebuild. This is my guess. He was expecting complete teams where you have to play vets alot.

#422 Joe Rocket, Oct 28, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  3. latebloomer19

latebloomer19 Member

Wish we play KJ, Christopher and Garuba more. Even Armoni. Hate that we are stuck with vets in the rotation like why we even try to compete? And Silas still doesn't have set plays from year 2

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  4. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I love this. It's always bothered me, and I've posted on here about it before, when people always say "better" pace when they mean faster. "We need to play at a better pace" or "this team plays with the best pace in the NBA." What's so objectively good about playing faster? Nothing! Finally I have a graph to back me up. I'm tired of this unwritten assumption among people who discuss the NBA that faster pace is automatically a good thing.

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

actually we would be more competitive playing the young guns

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

silas gonna ruin and chase away the young talent we have and we will spent the entire decade tanking because of this

Joe Rocket likes this.
  7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Hopefully Silas remembers Jalen Green is on the team here soon

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

% of possessions that are isolations with points per possession

1: Brooklyn : 14.4% : 1.05 ppp
    19: Houston : 5.4% : 0.88 ppp
    30: San Antonio : 1.7% : 1.00 ppp

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

lol I'm sorry but the first thing I thought of when I read this:

Was this:

[​IMG]

It's all good and dandy that our coaching staff recognizes that young players = fresh legs = fast buuuuuut you're asking for a lot from a young group to having only, basically, half the shot clock to get organized, dissect the defense, and score when your back court includes a rookie and a young player in his first real season playing as a point guard. But that's just me, I guess, and I hope Silas and this team do prove me wrong and I have to eat crow.

D-rock likes this.
  10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Our most successful team relied on slowing down the game as much as possible and letting Harden/CP3 take turns on ISO, P&R, and drive and kicks. So I agree with you there.

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Not to mention the fact that the pace in the playoffs slows down considerably so even if Silas is still around and gets this team to the playoffs playing at a high pace...what's his contingency plan in the playoffs when the team has to execute out of a half court / set offense most of the time? Bump it up to 18 seconds?

12. RedRedemption

I'm not sure any variation of this team gets to the playoffs anyway, so it all might be a moot point. I'm not too concerned with Silas, because if we get a big trade or the young guys develop a little faster than expected we can just Brett Brown his ass in the offseason and get an actual coach.

steddinotayto likes this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The guy takes almost 15 shots per game, he is one of the main dudes......what are you talking about?

DD

D-rock likes this.
  14. RedRedemption

10-12 of those end up being awful shots that nobody would consistently make. I'm not sure if that's a failure on Green or just lack of any good offensive sets by Silas that forces Green to try to create shots on his own.

Richie_Rich and Joe Rocket like this.
  15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Minimal actions being run to get him involved on screens, cuts, etc. Most of his shots are ISO/pull ups, usually low percentage. I'd like to see him worked in more within the flow of the offense. Otherwise...we may as well have kept Mike Dantoni.

16. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Isolation "plays" are different from the offense breaking down to one on one stagnant offense. I would like to see if this accounts for that fact. The technical definition of isolation play is one person holding the ball and others clearing out. Makes sense that the Nets call this play a lot because they have the best iso players in the league. In houston one person holds the ball and no one clears out but it still ends up being one on one on plays that are not called that way and that likely doesnt fit the definition of an "isolation play".

17. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I agree and if you actually watched the context of last game whenever he is open he never gets it. He was forcing shots trying to get going but they werent good shots. By the endof the game the rest of the team realized they couldnt score and needed him but he was out of the game by then. Which is boht his and their faults. He just kept gettign set up for bad shots and no one gave it to him on open ones. I pin that on SIlas because even bickerstaff is showing that if you have a yougn guy with talent they will perform in the right situations.

D-rock and RedRedemption like this.
  18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Those are better numbers than I would have expected based on the stuff that gets written about Silas and his offense on here.

19. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I dont know that those numbers are showing that people are wrong about SIlas. I dont see anything that they disproved. Most of the anger is about lack of open shot opportunities and bad rotations, over playing vets etc. Most of us arent concerned about the standings.

D-rock likes this.
  20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I believe the tracking data defines it as a possession that ends from an isolation. Doesn’t specify “isolation plays”, just possessions, whether there is a clear out or it’s just a possession where one player holds the ball and no one moves or it’s a play that broke down so one guy had to make something happen on his own, it’s an isolation.

I don’t think these tracking numbers are perfect or 100% infallible. But I don’t think they are off by much. It’s possible there are a few more plays per game that probably could be classified as isolation.

But I think our crappy overall offense has tricked some people’s eyes into believing we are resorting to one on one more than reality.

Though it seems everyone is very right in recognizing we suck at isolation plays.

D-rock and Joe Rocket like this.