1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[I'm ignorant] Educate me on Silas' offensive system

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

There are no courses

steddinotayto likes this.
  2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's preseason. Wood, Seguin, Tate are all a lock to make the team. Why do we need to see them more? You realize preseason records don't count right?

bj3175 likes this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am not looking at records, just looking at where people are on the floor, and if they have a clue of what they are trying to accomplish, to me, it looks like a bad pickup game - where people don't mix well - and lose because of it.

DD

cheke64, Roc Paint, D-rock and 8 others like this.
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Chaos Offense!

D-rock, jch1911 and hakeem94 like this.
  5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

it looks worse than that actually. I’ve played many pickup games. Simply passing to an open dude isn’t that hard.

Pre-season isnt to mess around and good off. It’s practice for the real thing. The real thing is coming fast. The goal - typically - for the real thing is to win games. Maybe for this Rockets team that doesn’t matter much but that aside that’s the usual goal. You don’t go from this crap to being remotely competitive just by saying ok time to stop messing around.

But it is true I don’t really care about w/l that much. Heck the Sonics/Thunder won like 20, 23 games before catapulting to 50 in KDs 3rd year. The Warriors were in their 20s more or less Stephs first 3 ears before winning 47 his 4th year. The Sixers won 28 games the firs year Embiid player and 52 the next. Lots of times these teams that are accumulating high end talent suck until making a BIG jump.

so it’s not really about wins/losses. It’s more about player development. And there’s not a single player out there - outside MAYBE Sengun and Jaygup - that I would say looks to be where they should be.

it’d be one thing if just the rookies were struggling. Wood doesn’t look good. KPJr looks confused. Etc.

It’s just three games and they’ve had bright spots too. KPJr was great game one. Jalen was decent game 2. Sengun has been solid throughout - though perplexingly barely ever gets decent playing time. Etc.

But it looks awful out there so far from a coaching perspective. If you’re not going to have any plays… at least give them a framework of a system and hold them accountable for things like turnovers and rebounding.

6. steddinotayto

didn’t you hear? Silas wants the preseason to be all about building chemistry. :rolleyes: Someone should tell Stephen that chemistry involves structure and not just throwing things out there and pray for the best

Roc Paint, D-rock, cheke64 and 3 others like this.
  7. bj3175

bj3175 Member

They need to play equal opportunity offense until they get an identity and some leadership. On defense they are clueless and disjointed. They should be better but I think it will come. They just need to play more

RocketOrg likes this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I hope Silas learn from the lecture Nick Nurse just gave him for free!

D-rock, jch1911 and steddinotayto like this.
  9. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Theis is a wasted signing....we need a point guard who can give the ball to Wood like Walls did last year....we need Gordon or we are going to get embarrassed on away games. The lineup should be:

PG: Wall
    SG: Green
    SF: Porter
    PF: Wood
    C: Sengun

Bench: Gordon, Tate, Theis, Brook Nwaba

bj3175 likes this.
  10. steddinotayto

Between getting beat by Spolestra and now Nurse, Silas should have plenty of material to learn from…..or he can rewatch tapes of his dad’s teams that never finished in the top 10 of the league on offense

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  11. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Our starters played like complete garbage tonight, no way around it. Green isn't Harden, not even close. You can't just throw the ball to him and expect offense to happen.

DT shouldn't be on the court at all. Terrible signing. You could have gotten an SF to fill out that salary and to actually play solid minutes.

Tate isn't an SF. If he can't learn to play another position, his days are limited in the NBA.

Wood was the best starter. Unpopular opinion, but he's already shifting defenses just by being on the court.

KPJ is fine. Off game, but he's capable of playing PG at a high level. It's tough to learn that position, and it takes time regardless.

D-rock, hakeem94 and Crashlanded19 like this.
  12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I apologized in the game thread, but im going to apologize here too.

You guys were right, there is no offense, lol.

[​IMG]

13. steddinotayto

no apologies needed. We’re all trying to learn the chaos offense: the players, the fans, the coaches, everyone.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I mean, it's a bad team - you have a lot of raw young players who have never played together. These aren't NBA vets who understand pro-offensive schemes. I just don't get how you think 19-21 year olds are supposed to magically look fluid after a few days of playing together.

34to11 likes this.
  15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I hated this thread too out of pride but I knew mentally it was a valid concern.

D-rock, DreamShook, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  16. steddinotayto

with all due respect how do you think 19-20 year olds are supposed to learn to play in the NBA if you refuse to run any structured offense? You can’t throw these kids on the court and expect them to “feel the game out” as if they have experience or the BBIQ of a Harden or a Luka. The closest player that can do that right now is Sengun and that’s because he played professionally overseas.

When my son turned 17 I didn’t give him the keys to the car and say “go ahead. Go out there and get a feel for the road. Build chemistry with the car”

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Apology will be accepted only if you start the thread for the defense

D-rock and DreamShook like this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

did this really happen?
    as long as i was watching wall never wanted to pass to wood...

20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

yeah, I was ready to jump on "clutchfans just being mean again" train, but yeah.. uh oh..