1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[I'm ignorant] Educate me on Silas' offensive system

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Oct 7, 2021.

1. NewAge

NewAge Member

No!!!!!!! Can't do!!! I will not be silenced!!!! You can's stop me from blasting my opinions!!!! :)
    Seriously, though, message boards are reactionary by definition. We don't run things. obviously if you're a decision-maker, being rash is counterproductive. I don't see harm however in commenting and reacting instantaneously to what we see.
    So far the scheme has been very underwhelming, as Rockets fans we want things to improve, quickly. But we have no other choice than to wait, anyway. But that doesn't mean that we cannot vent and comment and it doesn't mean that we need to be lectured on virtue of patience.

steddinotayto and hakeem94 like this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

its only the preseason for the fans as well LOL!
    Can @vlaurelio exercise some patience, and wait at least a week into RS , perhaps then we will exercise some rationality in our comments...until then i am just jacking up my 3s from the parking lot

NewAge likes this.
  3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Admittedly this thread was started because I was watching that Miami game and came away unimpressed so it might have been 20% kneejerk :) Unimpressed with the disorganization on the court. I could care less about the shots not falling or the turnovers but just the fact that our point guard was ad-libbing on offense and our best scoring thread in Wood didn't really know where to go once he realized he wasn't going to get the ball down low...that's a bit concerning.

Of course things could do a 180 tonight and Silas has them playing in a more structured offense and my ignorance would lessen :)

4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Thanks for posting. Like his attitude.

D-rock and ApacheWarrior like this.
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seems the 2nd unit is buying into his offense more than the starters

Crashlanded19 and steddinotayto like this.
  7. steddinotayto

So far, it's not a bad thing to have Sengun initiate your offense at the top of the three point line.

D-rock, hakeem94 and jch1911 like this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They literally have 2 preseason games left, and he is just rolling the ball out there......I like his personality, but I can't tell if he can coach.

DD

9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

For once, I agree with you. I'm not counting him out just yet, but it does seem he is not providing a lot of structure. We'll see if we see a little more the next two games, but even then we are still going to be playing a very inexperienced group of guys and what might be seen as coaching problems may just be a normal slow progression for such a young team. If we end up with a starting line-up of KPJ, Jalen Green, Tate, Sequin and Wood would it be the least experienced of all time? Even though Wood and Tate are older they haven't really played a lot of NBA games.

Crashlanded19 and hakeem94 like this.
  10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

He can coach given his pedigree, question is if he can coach fast enough to satiate clutchfans who expect to see results in preseason.

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

whats his pedigree?

steddinotayto likes this.
  12. steddinotayto

At worst, it's "Give the ball to your best player and see what happens"

2000-2003 had Baron Davis in Charlotte where he was an assistant coach
    2004-2005 had LeBron James in Cleveland where he was an assistant coach
    2006-2010 had Monta Ellis at Golden State where he was an assistant coach
    2010-2018 had Kemba Walker in Charlotte where he was an assistant coach
    2018-2020 had Luka Doncic in Dallas where he was an assistant coach

13. DaDakota

I just want to see growth and a system.

DD

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol so he was never a headcoach?

btw he may have nothing to do with anything these players have done or become, even the worst assistants happen to be on a team or 2 featuring superstars

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

After 2 preseason games?

So far he has coached KPJ very well but you can't expect a bunch of young guys new to the NBA to all of a sudden look like a well oiled machine. It's going to take time - a lot of time. Probably a few years.

D-rock likes this.
  16. steddinotayto

I thought it was common knowledge that this was Silas' first head coaching gig but I guess not. C'mon man!!! Kidding aside, his stints under different head coaches just adds to my ignorance of what his system will ultimately look like.

He's worked under his father, Rick Carlisle, Steve Clifford, and Don Nelson.

D-rock likes this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

watching someone riding a bike is totally (like 1000%) different experience from riding it yourself...

btw i knew he wasnt coaching in nba i supposed he coached at hs or somewhere but was he?

D-rock likes this.
  18. 34to11

34to11 Member

Funny how many people keep glossing over this monumental fact.
    And I fully expect it will be a running theme this season.

Just as teams are going to try to "big boy" Green all year long, they are also going to try to press and fluster Scoot.
    They are going to harass his handle, try to speed him up, test his decision making, and frustrate him with traps and pressure.

While fans are understandably excited about the talent and potential of the Rockets' backcourt, opponents see their inexperience as an opportunity to be exploited. The Miami game gave us a glimpse.
    Those are some of the growing pains this team is going to have to work through as they try to establish a foundation to build their identity on.

19. DaDakota

**** YES!!!!!

I want to see the semblence of a plan.....right now, we are doing nothing, not playing to our most efficient players in Wood, Senguin and Tate, and we just CHUCK it - with low percentage shots, and NO PnR....at all.....

AlP gets the ball and no one cuts,

This is worse than my Jr. high team.

DD

20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

wrong thread. oops

hakeem94 likes this.