1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm concerned about the 4th quarter

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BrieflySpeaking, Apr 11, 2007.

1. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

We seem to ALWAYS lose every 4th quarter, this is not good going into the playoffs, and i dont think its because we dont have a bench, its because our guys like tracy and yao dont step up consistently.

2. cato13

cato13 Contributing Member

We won. A W is a W. Period.

3. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Exactly... Thread closed.

4. SladeRider

SladeRider Member

I don't care really, we won, Jazz lost, there will be games where a quater doesn't go our way.

Just look at our play in the first 3 quarters and focus on the positive.

5. BrieflySpeaking

yeah but not like this, you have to be worried about stuff like this, if it happened once in every 20 games then yeah whatever, but this pretty much repeats its self

6. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Tracy dosent steup?. are you fuking blind?. he was the one and only guy who stoodup tonight. this would have been a loss tonight. r****ded...... :rolleyes:

7. max14

max14 Member

yeah Yao chokes in the 4th is a norm now.

He will miss freethrows, miss multiple shots, get the ball stolen, get confused defending the pnr, fouls people for and-1s.

Just watch he does ALL that EVERY close 4th quarter !!!

Very concerning.

8. BrieflySpeaking

im talking about the 4th quarter, yao was rushing his shot, gettin punked by some ginger kid and tmac not having his killer mentality

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The Rockets lack that "Step on the other team's throat" mentality.

They get up, and they relax, and other team's make a run and then the Rockets have to hold on.

There are many cases this year where the team lost the game because of this character flaw...the Denver home game comes to mind...

They have to get tougher mentally to do anything in the playoffs.

Focus for the ENTIRE game...not just 36 minutes.

DD

10. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

Not having a bench is the main reason why the Rockets can't hold leads.

11. max14

max14 Member

yeah PLUS he can't secure a defensive rebound.

12. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

Yah, that's why Yao is not yet a superstar center. He cant handle fourth quarter, not because he's mentally weak, but he's out of breath.
    He has to regain himself in the fourth.

13. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I think this should be a concern. A good team is one that closes out games and if a team's identity is about defense we shouldn't be seeing other teams able to get back in.

A win is a win and I'm glad we want it but I don't want to see this team keep on living this dangerously when as that last Utah game showed something like that could come back to haunt us.

14. demon77

demon77 Member

nah, he just needed more rest in the first half if he were to dominate in the 4th.
    they should go to T-mac more in the 4th tho.

1-3th is for yao, 4th is for T-mac.

I think we only have these meltdown only in games when we are up by like 15+ before half-time. Maybe rest the starter more in the 2nd?

15. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Well T-Mac takes his rest in the 4th and that's when it all goes downhill. Once that snowballing motion starts, the momentum just keeps building for the other team, long after McGrady checks back in. It's only about a minute or 2 of good basketball with McGrady in the game that the momentum stops.

I didn't like the 4th quarter either, the team let up too much, but we played well enough early to have a big lead to protect.

16. tsunami

tsunami Member

Yao disappointed me tonight!!! Had Yao played well in 4th quarter, TMAC would've not even played in the quarter, and no injury! I'd blame Yao if TMac gets any serious injury tonight. That really scared me. Big fella, please learn how to seal a game. :mad:

17. AggieRocketFan96

I think this failure to close teams out in the 4th quarter is a disturbing trend of late especially heading into the playoffs. just seems Rafer makes some boneheaded plays and poor defense late in the 4th qtrs of games

18. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

Or the team could use a bench every once in awhile.

Don't you realize players need breaks and they need bench players to play a role as well.

19. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Part of the problem also is that we get NOTHING from the bench outside of Luther Head on offense. That means our starter CANNOT relax for a minute out there. Some other teams do have bench support. YAo looked a bit fatigued down the stretch (missed 2 FT).

20. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Bullsh*t. This is a serious recurring problem for this team and deserves its own thread. I can only imagine what will happen if we pull this crap against Utah in the playoffs.

Oh wait, I don't have to imagine. I saw it.