1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

I'm a lifelong conservative activist and I'm backing Barack Obama

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gifford1967, Jul 17, 2008.

1. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

In Nero's partial defense, Bush wins the bumper sticker approval survey. Outside of New Orleans, there were far more "Impeach Clinton" bumper stickers in 1998 than "W, the Worst" or whatever bumper stickers today. So if you only pay attention to public opinion at a very superficial level, you might possibly come to that conclusion. (Of course an anti-Bush sticker on every white person's car in New Orleans might make up for the difference in the rest of the country.)

2. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

That might be because bumper stickers are for morons...

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So should I rip off my Keep Austin Weird bumper sticker? I don't want to disparage myself before the general public.

Impeach Bush/Nixon... I mean Cheney.

4. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Well, if there's one town that's bumper sticker friendly, I would think it'd be Austin... :cool:

I was more referring to political bumper stickers, especially those who still proudly show off their W stickers. I can't imagine how deluded you must be to feel so much pride about him that you'd show your support for Bush whenever you drive around...

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Man, I still see a lot of "W" bumper stickers around the capitol. All those GOP members, their staff, the lobbyists sucking up to them, the "Bush Dead-enders." Thankfully, there are far more Obama stickers now. :cool:

Impeach Bush/Nixon... I mean Cheney.

6. weslinder

Also known as White People.

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Some of this is true. While we can debate who would've won in '92 had Perot not entered(or technically reentered) the race til the end of time, Clinton was definitely unpopular 2 years into his first term after the health care debacle and massive tax increase. There's a reason the GOP swept into power in Congress after 40 years as the minority party and it wasn't because the nation was in love with Newt and his Contract With America.

But his numbers stabilized in '96 thanks to the economic recovery and bipartisan efforts like welfare reform and he did win reelection comfortably. No, he didn't get 50% of the vote yet again, and yes, he likely would've lost had Colin Powell been his opponent instead of Bob Dole, but bottom line is the guy was relatively popular.

As for when he left office in 2000, I do think his poll numbers were a little deceptive. They were high, but a lot of people were sick of the guy thanks to his Oral Office shenanigans. Which is why Al Gore kept him at a distance while running for President. Couple that with the economy sinking into a recession along with all the pardons he sold off and his poll numbers did take a noticable dip. Granted, polling the public about a President AFTER he's left office does seem pointless, but I do remember seeing stories about how a lot of the public did turn on him.

I disagree about the press turning on him in 2000 however. That didn't happen til his wife ran for President and went up against Obama. Suddenly the media was piling on the Clintons in ways normally reserved for the likes of Rush Limbaugh. Believe me, I've hated Hillary for the longest time(mostly because of the health care fiasco) but even I found myself feeling a little sorry for her and the media bias she was trying to combat.

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While you may believe this is true, it just isn't.

Hillary and Obama received almost equal favorable coverage until Hillary complained about Obama receiving preferential treatment. At that time Hillary actually started getting more favorable treatment than Obama did.

Now that the record is straight, let's all do our part to stop spreading falsehoods about media coverage.

9. gatechdude

gatechdude Contributing Member

The reason for more bumper stickers is simple...During the Clinton era, the flourishing economy provided the wingnuts with excess income which allowed them to buy bumper stickers, donate to local KKK chapters, etc...Now the same people under Bush are being forced to spend a majority of their income on gasoline etc...no more money for bumper stickers...

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Wrong. Perot took votes almost equally from both and the margin between Clinton and Bush did not change appreciably between the time Perot got out of the race and after he got back in. The only thing Perot did was keep Clinton from going over 50%.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

You must be white

It is a fact that white people will never turn down an opportunity to enlighten other people on the correct way to think. While this is very easy to do through email or face to face conversation, it is exceptionally difficult to do while driving a car. Fortunately for white people there is a solution that is both popular and ineffective: bumper stickers.

Before talking about the types of bumper stickers that white people like, it’s very important to get an understanding about layout and placement. When a white person drives an older car (6+ years old) that has a resale value under $2000, they will coat the entire backside of the car in bumper stickers. Because of the abundance of space they are free to include stickers from all areas of white support: music, politics, the environment, insults to right wing politicians, and various movements that tell people to keep a city “weird.”
    (stuffwhitepeoplelike.com)

12. weslinder

I linked that post. Here's my favorite part:

13. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

holy **** i actually agree with you.