1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'll Take ZRB's Role...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketman95, Mar 23, 2001.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Here's a quote from a Mavs fan on our loss at their site Mavtalk.com: No need to be embarassed. The Clipps are an explosive team who can beat just about anybody.. So now according to a for sure playoff team its ok to lose to the Clippers... not that its necessarily true, but just bringing some outside perspective into this for those claiming to be "almost embarassed to be a Rockets fan".

------------------
    "We're not settling for just getting in the playoffs." "We want a higher seed. There's no doubt. We expect to get in."-- Steve Francis

President of the Mo Taylor and Jason Collier fan club!

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Oh a Mav fan said it's OK, well I'll sleep better tonight.

------------------
    www.swirve.com...The reason Al Gore invented the internet.

3. Timing

Timing Member

As disappointed as we all are, imagine how Mo Taylor feels about now. He just lost to the organization he hates with a passion and now we may miss the playoffs as a result! Irony is a funny thing sometimes.

------------------
    Why is Gonzaga always given a double digit seed? Just move them to the Sweet 16 where they belong and let them play from there.

4. The Cat

My arguments were that we could beat the big time teams, not that we were better than them. And if we had beaten one of those teams 3 times, no I would not necessarily be saying we're better than them. The facts did work, were all true, and supported my line of reasoning. Through my line of reasoning you correctly deduced that the Clippers in a playoff series would be up 3-1 with homecourt advantage. But does that make them the winner? Nope...

------------------
    "We're not settling for just getting in the playoffs." "We want a higher seed. There's no doubt. We expect to get in."-- Steve Francis

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

5. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Alright, I just checked the schedules again. This loss can be made up. IF (and this is a big if), the T-wolves lose tomorrow against Denver, and the Rockets beat Seattle, the difference will be a mere 1.5 games. If the Rockets can get it down to 1 game by the end of March, they will still have a chance. 2.5 games isn't too much when it comes to the inconsistent T-Wolves. They just have to play each game like there's no tomorrow, and hope that the Wolves start losing. They especially need to lose tomorrow! Go Nuggets! NugzFan, where the bloody hell are you? You've gotta root hard for the Nugz!

------------------
    Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon is the greatest player in the history of basketball. If you disagree, you are not a Rocket fan.

[This message has been edited by ZRB (edited March 23, 2001).]

6. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

What's your point, Clutch?

The Clips are 25-45. We are 38-31 with playoff hopes. Sucks that we lost tonight, but I won't/can't compare the Rockets to the Clips.

7. Dolfox

Dolfox Member

don't go soft on us ZRB, remember, we lost to the clippers therefore we suck...reality

------------------

8. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

jammie, Clutch isn't being negative for negative's sake... back up to the first few pages and reread. Clutch is just being the realistic foil for TheCat (sorry TheCat [​IMG]).

It's no different than any of us playing devil's advocate w/ the old Tweak.

------------------
    (===)

9. The Cat

Clutch, question...

If the Clips beat the Blazers on Monday for their 3rd win this season, are the Clips a better team than Portlad?

------------------

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Every team can beat the big time teams if you play enough games. The Clippers beat Portland, remember?

Sorry, have a hard time believing ya on that one.

And as I showed, does it make them the winner in a 5-game series?

(pause for effect)

You're right, it doesn't make them the winner in a 7-game series, but it sure as hell doesn't look good.

So the bottom line: It looks to me The Cat that what you're trying to say is 3-1 means nothing, but 4-1 is a clear indication of who the better team is.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

11. Achebe

TheCat,

Can the Blazers afford to lose to the Clippers on Monday?

------------------
    (===)

12. The Cat

If you consider any team that beats another 3 out of 4 times in the regular season to be always better, and if you consider any team that loses to the Clips 3 times in a season to be not of playoff quality then sure he's realistic as can be. [​IMG]

------------------

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

13. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

We're a better team than the Clippers. By record, by rep, by whatever

Let's call the Clips an "inferior team".

League-wide, did all "superior" teams win their season series against all "inferior" teams? No. This is just one example.

[praying the numbers back me up [​IMG]]
    [the plural for "series" is "series". howboutthat]

[This message has been edited by jamcracker (edited March 23, 2001).]

14. Achebe

I'll go to bed on this note:

1) The Rockets couldn't afford to lose this game, no matter how you look at it.
    2) The Clippers own the Rockets. Flat out. The only game the Rocks won had Odom on the bench.

good night all.

------------------
    (===)

15. The Cat

No... I'm just trying to show through one example how winning 3 of 4 games does not necessarily make the Clippers a better team. Another win would be more convincing, but that is not the point. What I am arguing is that 3 out of 4 games does not always make one team better than another, and facts do back up that argument.

------------------

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

16. The Cat

Not if they want any homecourt...

------------------

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

LOL! OK, I'll keep that in mind.... thanks for setting the number as to which team is better. Apparently 3 out of 4 means nothing... 4 out of 5? Ewwwww, convincing.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

18. WizzyWig

WizzyWig Member

You guys are bumms...you get bummed out about every loss. Don't worry about it, let the pressure be on Minnesota or Phoenix now to prove that they are playoff caliber teams. If they aren't then I promise you the Rockets will be in the playoffs this year. Anyway you look at it the pressure is on them not us.

------------------
    ------------------
    Hakeem: "Exit Suugar Lan"

19. The Cat

First off, I didn't say it would make them better. I just said in some cases it would be convincing. Apparently to you 2 out of 3 means nothing cause the Blazers are playoff bound and they've lost that many to the Clips... but 3 of 4 means everything and means a team is doomed.

------------------

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

20. The Cat

Anyway, I'm off to bed as well. I'll leave everyone with a few thoughts:

Playoff teams do lose to the Clips. They have a good young basketball team-- ask Portland about that.

2.5 games is not hard to make up considering the schedules of Minnesota and Phoenix coming up. We are very much alive.

Don't lose faith. Remember when we were 22-25? Almost everyone here wrote off the playoffs and us having any chance whatsoever... try to give this team more of a chance. They have proven all season long they deserve it.

BELIEVE!!!!! GO ROCKETS!!!

------------------

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com