1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'll Take ZRB's Role...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketman95, Mar 23, 2001.

1. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Funny, I thought this game is a
    "should win" for the Rockets...

------------------
    "Awesome baby!"

Dick Vitale

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

So hypothetically let's say the Blazers lose 2 of 4 to the Clippers. If they can afford to lose 2 of 4, but not 3 of 4, then that would mean they will make the playoffs by one game. How much you want to bet the Blazers qualify for the playoffs by more than one game?

------------------
    "We're not settling for just getting in the playoffs." "We want a higher seed. There's no doubt. We expect to get in."-- Steve Francis

President of the Mo Taylor and Jason Collier fan club!

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Take it from a guy who assured everyone the Rockets were going to make a deal before the deadline....

Don't do that.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

4. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

My God Cat, you are one hell of a fan. Good for you. I admire your capacity for optimism. I just can't accept that the Rockets have lost three out of four games to the Clippers. When was the last time they lost the season series? The 70s?
    Personally, I don't think the Rockets DESERVE the playoffs. They've worked hard all year against the good teams, and have come into games with bad teams with smirks on their faces. They have been burned repeatedly.
    This team is not playoff caliber. They are better than last year, but nowhere near good enough. They have the talent, but ZERO intelligence.

------------------
    Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon is the greatest player in the history of basketball. If you disagree, you are not a Rocket fan.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Uh, no .... now I'm switching sides. The Spurs win wasn't a fluke. We came back from 20 down in that game.

If we don't make it so be it. There's no shame in the Rockets not making the playoffs. None. "True Rockets"? Good gosh... this team has made HUGE strides over last season and the future is nothing but bright. I honestly wouldn't be upset not making the playoffs.

ZRB, with all due respect, I highly recommend seeing a pyschiatrist for your incredible mood swings and contradicting statements from win to loss.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

6. The Cat

Oh ok. The wins over the Spurs, Lakers, Sixers, Knicks, etc. don't count, just those three losses to the Clippers and the loss to the Warriors with no Steve or Cat. Yeah that makes sense. You tell me what "crap" losses and how many the Rockets have had, and trust me-- I'll find just or almost as many for one of the playoff teams out there.

------------------
    "We're not settling for just getting in the playoffs." "We want a higher seed. There's no doubt. We expect to get in."-- Steve Francis

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Who cares The Cat? The difference between the crap losses we've had and the crap losses the playoff teams have had is that they're making the playoffs.

It's that simple.

------------------
    www.swirve.com...The reason Al Gore invented the internet.

8. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

We just dont match up well against the Clippers. Odom kills us every time, we just dont have the size to contain him. Without a dominant force inside(the only time we beat them is when Dream was playing well), they can do pretty much anything they please. I would like to know what total field goal percentage the clippers shot against us this season. WE CAN STILL MAKE IT IN, ITS JUST GONNA TAKE SOME HEART!

------------------
    BILL KENNEDY SUCKS!

9. The Cat

And so are we, so no I still don't see the difference.

------------------

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

And a sweet, sweet gift from God.

------------------
    www.swirve.com...The reason Al Gore invented the internet.

11. Jim1965

Jim1965 Member

The Clippers are a very tough matchup for the Rockets, because of their combination of size, speed, and athleticism.

I don't view the Rockets any more negatively after these losses than I have all year. Tonight's loss highlights the glaring weaknesses that the Rockets possess- muscle in the middle and an undisciplined offense. These matters will be addressed over the next couple of years, and soon you will all be thrilled to be Rocket fans again.

------------------
    Bob Rainey is my hero!

12. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

The win itself wasn't a fluke, but it WAS rendered meaningless. That was a game they weren't supposed to win, while they were supposed to win this one. When they won against the Spurs, they gained a huge advantage. An advantage they have squandered.
    I WILL be disappointed if they miss the playoffs. To me, the season IS the playoffs. Development is nice, but competing in playoff games is much, much more fun.
    The way I see it, they should be a playoff team. They would be if they had beaten the teams they were supposed to. How many games have the Rockets struggled to beat bad teams this year? What does it take to learn? YOU HAVE TO PLAY HARD AGAINST ALL TEAMS! They just aren't learning this, and it worries me.
    Not to mention, this takes a lot of the excitement out of the Seattle game. I was looking forward to seeing a great game with playoff intensity. Instead, I get a couple of lottery teams duking it out. I love the Rockets, but I don't pay $250 to see a game with lottery standings at stake.

------------------
    Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon is the greatest player in the history of basketball. If you disagree, you are not a Rocket fan.

13. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

While I think that some teams just own others... this game sounded like a game of no heart.

Mobley: 6-20. He only hit 3 pointers. *Sigh*

Well, here's hoping that Rudy can do something w/ this year's picks.

------------------
    (===)

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Now you're just plain being silly. Not thinking. Not being bright.

If you're a playoff team and you lose one game to a team that is 24-45, then it could be viewed as a fluke. Two games then its news.

Three games? They're better than you.

And they're 24-45.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

15. Heath

Heath Member

Ok, now we're officially behind schedule - but that doesnt mean we cant make the playoffs - A win over Sonics will get us back on schedule - we need to beat Sonics -luckily I calculated a loss to Sonics in my schedule... so a sonics win get us back on track to catch Wolves.

Suns win over Sonics was another blow - and I'm not saying it's gonna be easy... impossible - NO WAY!!! But no we will need to win some games... Sonics, Utah ... And they can do that... Spurs win and other prove it... still they can lose, but they ARE not out of it. It may be hard - but BELIEVE - come on... BELIEVE!!!!

------------------
    We can reach our destination, but it's still a ways away.

16. The Cat

He'll have his work cut out for him... as a playoff team we'll give our pick to the Grizzlies so we'll probably just have to work with the Bucks pick around 20. [​IMG]

------------------

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

17. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Playing the Sonics after a loss are we? Oh man. I just hope its close, because the Sonics know how to rebound after a tough loss these days. The Rockets? Don't.

------------------

18. TheBlum

TheBlum Member

This is a playoff caliber team...any other year but this one. Any other year we would coast into the playoffs with 44 wins, and get the 5th or 6th seed. This year there are just too many strong teams in the West, and I don't think we can do it down the stretch w/o Hakeem. 16 points and 11 boards is tough to lose. We'll be in next year, but this will have been a fun, and productive season

------------------

19. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

There's no excuse to let Owolokandi go off on us... He has done that twice now... Which means he now has 2 good games in his career...

Nothing you can say that will convince me the Rockets didn't roll over like a carpet for the Clippers... Embarrasing...

Are we capable of attacking the basket? I've been wondering for a very long time... Is Owolokandi that big of an intimidation to the Rockets? If he is, the Rockets problems are bigger than than just personnel...

------------------
    "Awesome baby!"

Dick Vitale

20. Dolfox

Dolfox Member

bottom line, no matter what you think of the team, they needed this win.
    i love this team as they are, they've got heart and may be playing above themselves, which is a credit to the players and to Rudy. but i hate that people like the above wait for every chance they can to trash the team. they've made an admirable run without dream...can't you guys give them that much? the fact that the playoffs are still within our reach...is that not a good thing? our rebuilding process has taken a huge leap forward this year but dammit if that's not good enough for some people.

but...bottom line is they didn't get the win...that's all some people see

------------------