1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'll save you the trouble regarding Lin.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Panda23, Jul 7, 2013.

1. kcd

kcd Member

Lin already had a big leap. Remember Linsanity? He was looked pretty terrible before that. You see what you want to see and other see differently.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nobody cares about Linsanity, it's what happened with the Knicks
    Really not a single Rockets fan cares about Linsanity

3. kcd

kcd Member

That wasn't the context of the post.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

No I'm not saying he should have turned it down, but he was LURED by money which the post I replied to said wasn't true. The higher he was offered the higher the chance the Knicks wouldn't match. He knew that.

I'm not criticizing him for him, but it is true that he was lured by money. He wanted to stay with the Knicks but only if they were going to match that salary.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

you said big leap, you meant big streak, cause that's all it was

a full season jeremy lin is what you see with the rockets

and nobody cares about linsanity..at all

6. kcd

kcd Member

Whatever, he wasn't playing like that before the leap. With the Rockets, he's in a different situation. You don't care doesn't mean everyone don't.

7. tinman

Supporting Member

you're right. I'll be more specific.
    Every Rockets fan doesn't care about what happened to the Knicks two seasons ago.

8. kcd

kcd Member

Well, with reports that the Knicks would match up to a billion or something like that, it didn't look likely that they wouldn't match. I think it was more that the Knicks felt like they got played by the Rockets that they didn't match. Anyways it's over and done with.

9. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Don't care how well the Knicks as a team did? Absolutely. But you have to like basketball to watch the games, and you can't be a fan of basketball without getting joy from watching some of the players performing well. That includes players on other teams.

Lin has started one full season plus part of a season with the Knicks. He's got maybe the equivalent of one full season starting uninjured. Where are you going to look to try to figure him out?

10. Fighton

Fighton Member

you need to read up and understand contracting before spewing this crap. people can debate all day about his bball skills and i wouldn't care but this here is just wrong.

HE HAD NO CHOICE where to sign. it was ALL in new york's hands. legally he COULDN'T go back to les and say "hey um.. new york says they'll match so why don't you up it a little bit". if that ever happens the rockets front office, his agent, and himself would be in huge trouble with both the nba and nbapa.

was he happy about the money? of course! who wouldn't be?! but new york never gave him an offer (unless you consider the qualifying offer of $1mil to be reasonable) and never approached him to negotiate a contract. he had only 1 contract to sign (well technically 2 contracts, one from houston for 25mil, and one from ny for 1mil). if he didn't sign it, he wouldn't be playing in the nba, period. nobody else gave him an offer. he signed it, hoped that ny would match and he'd back in ny. and there's no reason to think ny wouldn't match, since they claimed they'd match up to a billion; hyperbole of course but the point is that they were willing to match whatever is out there and that turned out to not be the case.

i guess he could've sat around and willingly GAVE new york all the leverage in determining how much they want to pay him. but no one in their right mind would do that.

11. hltiki

hltiki Member

This looks like someone from the city trying to convince someone from a small backwater town to look at the big picture.... kekekeke jp :p

12. KiLLiN

KiLLiN Member

If we are keeping Asik and Lin, I can definitely see them be the next dynamic back duo. Lin takes the role of OKC harden and Ginobili.

To me here are the facts:
    - Harden and Lin do not work as well as Harden and P-bev
    - Lin and Harden both require the ball to be effective
    - Most likely, Asik and Howard will not start together

So:
    - Let Harden run the offense with the starting unit, and let Lin run the bench with Asik running pick and rolls, which are both player's strengths. This would mean we have a somewhat healthy offensive and defensive unit running at all times.

13. Fighton

Fighton Member

he was LURED by the ONLY contract he had out there. if he wanted to play in the NBA, he needed to sign that contract. the other contract was a qualifying contract from new york for $1mil.

what they should've done is negotiate a contract before restricted free agency hit. i'm sure he would've taken something in the 4-5mil range and that would've been a steal for new york. but new york wanted him to go out there and establish his market value, and by saying they'd match anything out there, was hoping that no one would give him an offer since it would just be a waste of time. well, morey called their bluff and here we are.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually he wasn't terrible before Linsanity.

I hate to break it to you, it's not me who sees what they want to see...it's you pal.

15. kcd

kcd Member

He was about to get cut so yes, he wasn't playing that great before that. No we just see things differently.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You are arguing against things I never said. You need to calm down. I'm not bashing Lin's skills, his salary, his heart, anything. I'm not bashing Lin whatsoever. Now, stop being defensive and reread my points.

The original offer from the Rockets was for less money than he ended up signing for. The Rockets upped it INTENTIONALLY to try to stop NY from matching it. Lin knew that was what the Rockets were trying to accomplish. He did not have to accept that deal, but he wanted to because he wanted to get that money. That's not a criticism. Who WOULDN'T want to take as much as you were offered?

But, he could have shopped around. He chose not to because no one else was going to offer him that salary. He was willing to risk leaving NY for that contract.

None of that is a criticism.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry, shame on me for even debating you ;)

18. CuriousG11

CuriousG11 Member

I'm a Rockets fan and I cared about Linsanity. Greatest underdog story of our time. He literally became a world-wide sensation overnight.

You'd have to be pretty shallow to say nobody in Houston was fascinated and cared about Lin's breakout in NYC.

19. ag3ntgandhi

ag3ntgandhi Rookie

20. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

Exactly why we all need to thank Morey