1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'll save you the trouble regarding Lin.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Panda23, Jul 7, 2013.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

It depends on what you are trying to show.

Taking a player's best stretch during the year is silly, you are ignoring his low stretches.

2. Fighton

Fighton Member

sound good in theory but not in practice. even great players need to be in roles tailored to them in order for them to really excel.

is howard a great player? was he misused last year? is melo a great player? was he misused by dantoni? (and funny how dantoni is the common denominator here.. prob just a coincidence). there are plenty of examples of good/great players not excelling when in roles not fit for them. even bosh has been reduced to a mediocre player on the Heat. and lebron, the best player on the planet right now, wasn't as effective in miami (still darn good though) until spostra and staff tweaked the system and took advantag of his gifts.

in the nba, all guys are good enough where they'll excel if the system fits their talent. the question is - who are you going to tailor your system to? the rest of the team falls in line and plays their roles to the best of their abilities. if a role player can't do it, you find another one.

3. alethios

alethios Member

This pointless debate is going to get worse now that Royce is gone. I prefer not to hate on any player in Rockets uniform (now that Royce is gone).

4. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

Or people could relax and let them play his game and do just fine next season. I expect him to average 14-16 pts and 8 assts a game, which I would be completely happy with (and what most logical fans should be happy with). But his die-hard haters would still bemoan his contract or his style of play- and that's what's really unbearable... the question is what does it take to get rid of them...

5. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Fixed. Meant to say LOFs instead of LOHs.

6. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

Did you actually see Lin during the playoff games? I was sitting 10 rows from the bench and saw how painful it was for him to even take off this warm ups/practice jersey. And I saw him chewing down on his mouth guard the whole time he was on the bench due to the pain.

Who cares if they called it a chest bruise? The guy showed that he's tough as nails. Have you seen how hard he get's fouled and knocked down when he drives into the paint? I'd love to see how you would react after getting leveled even once like that.

Meanwhile, you probably moan about how bad your back hurts from sitting on your butt all day posting idiotic stuff on Clutchfans.

7. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Yeah, Lin has many things worthy of criticism but he didn't mail it in for the Playoffs. He wanted to be out there playing but was hurt.

8. AVoiceInACrowd

Wow, someone just went postal. Lol, good thing he only had a keyboard in his hand or things could have turned really ugly.:eek:

I'm curious what your expectations were for him. Because expectations aren't a consistent criteria. Everyone has different expectations of players. Having said that, I was expecting/hoping he would have a better season, more along the line of a 15/7 season.

Am I right in getting the sense from you that you don't think he earned his contract? I'm asking because you write that Hakeem "he MORE than earned every cent he got", when no one has questioned or even hinted that he didn't. If so, then your completely wrong if you look at it objectively (and thats not going by expectations) by comparing his salary and production to other starting pgs not in their rookie contract. Lin may not have "MORE" than earned every cent that he got, but he has earned his salary.

There are a lot of stupid things being said in the forum, it's the nature of a forum when everyone is allowed to write what they want. Some of the things that I read by "extreme" Lin fans on occasion make me shake my head or roll my eyes. But, doesn't really annoy me since it seems to comes from a "good" place. It's the stupid things I read from the other side of the arguments that annoy me. The ones that seem to be fueled by hate/anger. Maybe it's just me, my personality is one in which I just don't understand the people who gets enjoyment out of talking ****/criticizing someone they have never met, every chance they get. My point is that those hijacked threads require two groups to do it. And as annoying as one group is for you, the other group is just as annoying for other people.

1 person likes this.
  9. King1

Calling people racists (including the head coach) because you don't like their opinion on a basketball player comes from a "good place"? What a joke.

Always an excuse for LOFs no matter what the situation.

10. AVoiceInACrowd

Geez, over generalize much. How about putting in some specifics like what the actual quotes were? So, we can see to what degree of stupid it was.

There is a reason, I put quotes around good. Because I consider it an iffy term for the situation. But, in general if your defending someone you look up to, then yes I personally call it starting from a "good" place. Where it ends up, is a different story, a lot of times it may turn out bad, ugly, hateful or whatever it ends up being.

Again, over generalize much? Using absolute terms like "always" and "no matter what" usually takes away credibility from what you write. Because it's "never" true.:grin:

11. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I see several folks ignored the ENTIRE POINT of the post and got sidetracked on what they *perceive* as an attack on their god. :rolleyes:

I actually have no opinion on whether Jeremy Lin is worth the money or if he can get better....that is above my pay grade. If Morey likes him and continues to have faith in him, so will I. Im not like alot of sports fans you know, Im interested in the details of the game and like to look at things logically, so I dont bother with things that cant be proved empirically(like Potential and other subjective crap like if a player is worth x money)

I was speaking in general terms as far as why Lin gets the criticism he does from the community while answering that totally assinine post dragging Dream into this crap. That was not my personal opinion as evidently Im not allowed to have an opinion once the crew title got tacked on me.:rolleyes:

Ive said it before, Ill say it again...just because Im a mod does not mean I cant state the facts as I see them. Being a mod is a job, Im here in that regard to help clean up crap posts and hand out negs and infractions to those who deserve them....it doesnt make me special in any way...Im just someone who cares about the board enough to want to devote alot of freetime to overseeing one small part of it...nothing more.

and ftr AVoiceInACrowd, that wasnt anywhere near angry...that was slightly irritated about the Dream thing and the rest of the post was posted with utmost calm.

#431 Rockets2K, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  12. King1

It happens in almost every Lin thread that occurs. I'm sure you're well aware of that.

Not when you start doing it by calling people "racists". Nothing positive comes from that and it certainly isn't an appropriate reaction. You should have read some of the stuff written about McHale (not just on this board but on other social media) when Lin wasn't getting the touches and playing time people wanted. Although I will acknowledge that nothing positive typically comes from Lin threads.

Obviously, not every single fan does it but there does seem to be a large contingent that has an excuse ready to fire in for any criticism of Lin. I think personally there should just be one big master thread regarding him and everything stays in there. It would improve the board a lot.

13. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

we are only committed to LIN next two seasons. so let him play it out. not likely we can move him with his contract.

14. orochiyao

orochiyao Contributing Member

yeah lin fans sure do come from a good place

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Every single game thread was riddled with that crap. I dare someone to go back through those threads and deny that some Lin fans say that stuff.

16. hltiki

hltiki Member

Those damn lin fans need to stay on their side of the border; taking up all our land and jobs and ****, like a damn plague and virus.

17. hltiki

hltiki Member

you know damn well that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction...

18. kcd

kcd Member

Maybe they were reacting to something especially negative about Lin. You can't just include one side of it. They're over the top, but there were a lot of over the top negative things said about Lin also.

19. dexkk

dexkk Member

This might've been brought up before but maybe the mods can create a new forum section called "player fan club" and move all LOF and LOH debate threads there.

I think most of us are just fed up seeing the same Lin debate threads in the GARM.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The post was meant to tick off real Rockets fans and it did.

I think some Lin fans are trying to justify their relevance now that Dwight Howard is on the team and has completely dominated the minds and topics of all Rockets fans.

You realize they mentioned Lin in the Ice Cube thread?
    What the hell right?

Ice Cube - Straight Outa Compton
    Jeremy Lin - Straight Outa Palo Alto