1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[IKO] Rockets still exploring SnT for Shump (maybe)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This little nugget hasn't been talked about enough.

Nene had a player option and just threw 4M away by opting out? .......something going on there.

2. jacoby

jacoby Member

His market is the veterans minimum. He can get that by any team at any point. He's holding out in hopes that he can get a S&T deal done. If not we may sign him to an inflated contract to move at the deadline.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yeah, a little odd. I can see not wanting to get Morey'd as a trade throw-in, but that's a chunk of change to give away.

Either something's going on or he's having a "5th Beatle" moment after reality sinks in: "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh......fudge!"

"Only, I didn't say 'fudge'. I said the big one..."

4. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

We'd receive a TPE that could be used to trade for a role player later in the year, when you have a better sense of the team's competitiveness and weaknesses in the rotation.

MEM/ATL would receive a nominal consideration (cash and/or a 2nd) for the trouble.

We may very well be preparing Nene for a coaching role, but I haven't heard anything reported in that regard.

I imagine we're kicking the tires on SnT deals involving Shumpert and Nene. Most likely outcome is that no one "significant" enough will spring up, Shumpert will sign elsewhere and Nene will join our coaching staff.

D-rock and Gray_Jay like this.
  5. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Or even use the TPE next year, if I read this Salary Cap FAQ correctly. http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q84

Using such a large TPE after the NBA year expires would allow the incoming salary to affect next year's team, and preserve management's argument against paying tax in enough consecutive years to trigger repeater escalators. Of course, it would mean not getting a player for this year's team.

Thanks.

joshuaao likes this.
  6. lionaire

lionaire Member

LOL'd at the (maybe)

hakeem94 and justtxyank like this.
  7. basketballholic

If we cannot get our two guys by the end of the summer then i can see the real possibility of trading one of Shump, EGo, Capela.... alongside some of our minimum salary guys for a player and a traded player exception of 12-14.8.

Some examples....

EGo and minimums to Indy for McDermott and and minimums. Indy wipes away McDermott's 20-21 salary. We get a useful player for the next two years on a tradeable salary and a $14 million TPE to take to the trade deadline. We could then re-sign Shump and cart him to the trade deadline. (He's not nearly as bad a player as some of you think he is.)

Another version.....

Capela and minimums to Celtics for Jaylen, Semi, and Robert Williams. We get a 14.9 million TPE to take to the deadline. Then send out Williams and a minimum to ATL for Len (serviceable) and a first rounder. Or SnT Shump at that point for a guy like biyombo.

Then you go to the deadline with 3 available picks plus Jaylen plus EGo/Biyombo or whomever....~28-30 million of expiring salary.

This is the year to be king of the TPE. Only Atlanta has cap space. If we trade ATL Capela for instance and take up the rest of their cap space while getting back a pick or two plus a serviceable player or two and a 14.8 million TPE.... then we have the most trade flexibility heading to the deadline.

============

But only if we can't get done what we are trying to get done this summer.

hakeem94 and Bids9 like this.
  8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Don't forget that some of those contracts are only partially or not guaranteed at all …. they can easily duck the tax line from where they stand now. I almost expect it.

I'd be shocked if they did resign Shump at all …. much less a value high enough to help facilitate any significant trade.

Tilman's lost me …. I aint eatin at his crummy joints.

pippendagimp and Gray_Jay like this.
  9. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

So basically Morey gave up a 1st round pick for a vet minimum player?

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

he gave up a 1st round pick to dump a salary and get under the tax ordered by Tilman. you seem to not want to get that basically

jacoby, justtxyank and Gray_Jay like this.
  11. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

He wasn’t ever the same after he cut his hair.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Another team can just sign Shump to the minimum if they want him.
    Maybe room exception or part of the MLE if they still have it.

13. treyk3

treyk3 Member

His value is and always has been that it can help another team get off of long term term money if they aren't competing and we can attach picks to him.

14. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

No, he could’ve signed a player worth keeping that had more trade value and could’ve contributed more to the team. There were lots of players with expiring contracts that were a better fit. You’re acting as though Shumpert was the only player available for a trade to stay under the tax and do not want to see the other options.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

what? lol

nvm the fact that he exiled house to save a few dollars. what in the world are you even yapping about

16. johnk2220

johnk2220 Member

You'd think if a team wants him they can sign him to vet min already outright and wouldn't need us. unless they're trying to shed salary as well

J.R. likes this.
  17. Blackjack84

Blackjack84 Member

lmao did u say Ego for McDermott

#57 Blackjack84, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    D-rock likes this.
  18. TilmanFinancialWindfall

insert it's happening .gif

Tilman is spending LTS!

19. Blackjack84

Blackjack84 Member

i wish you guys would stop with all these annoying trade ideas that SUCKS you talking about trading Gordon and Capela for Jaylen Brown and Mcdermott man get outta of here this team is fine the way it is now lol lets start the season and go qith what we have not gut the team talking about having all this and that at the trade deadline man lol get lost with these idiot ideas

20. basketballholic

No. I said Ego and minimums for mcdermott and minimums and a 14 million tpe thay could be used at the deadline for a guy like.... Winslow, roco, Smart, mkg, etc.

Add in picks to balance it out.

Could use Shump instead. 13.2 tpe in his case.

The point is....... having a large tpe going into the deadline to take on a salary instead of depending on the buyout market. A large tpe has tremendous value when every team is out of cap space. We could wind up getting a very nice player..... or a first round pick for that TPE at the deadline.

:::::::::::::::::

Once again only after exhausting other possible moves giving us the needed upgrades by the end of September.

#60 basketballholic, Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019