1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[IKO] Rockets still exploring SnT for Shump (maybe)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 25, 2019.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

There is very little cap room out there at all right now. The highest is I think $7million?

Gray_Jay and J Sizzle like this.
  2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

THIS.^
    "Who's that? Is he a star?"
    "Well....."
    "No. Next!"

PeterKingX, RichieBanks, Vivi and 2 others like this.
  3. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Warriors have a $17.1M TPE.... IJS.... LMAO

4. jacoby

jacoby Member

They're hard-capped so they can't use it.

don grahamleone, Nook and jch1911 like this.
  5. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

It's out of the realm of possibility because the Rockets are a red (expletive deleted) hair from having to pay tax. https://www.spotrac.com/nba/houston-rockets/cap/

Check that; they're 2 million ish over the line now, with an estimated tax bill of 3 million. (Doubt that lasts by the end of the year.) Without adding any salary from Iman Shumpert, either directly or in whatever contract he would bring back in a trade. Additional salary costs about 2.50-2.75 for each dollar added, and we've had ample evidence that this owner is gunshy about going into the tax for non-stars.

So sign Shump to 5-10 million, and move him for another player on a longer deal, making about the same money. That deal would cost the Rockets ~18-30 million this year or more, for that role player. It gets worse if you think about adding Love or Hayward.

That's why most of us are so pessimistic about it happening. Regardless if it would really improve the team.

don grahamleone, xaos and justtxyank like this.
  6. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

It's hilarious. The only team with cap space are the Hawks, with the nearly 7 million you mentioned. Literally every other team is over the cap, most by double-digit millions.

They need to raise the cap significantly, IMO.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Spotrac numbers aren't accurate right now.

They are currently under the tax.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

you do realize the only realistic avenue of adding talent is through trades at this point. no trades and their only other option of continuing to sign bottom barrel players isn't doing anything

not exactly fitting the out of realm of possibility view here

Nook and xiki like this.
  9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

By about $1.4 million, something like that.

10. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

What's more realistic, given the last year's performance by this ownership to duck the tax: the Rockets agree to take on significant tax liability in order to acquire a needed role player, to say, help defray the load on our 35 year old PF? Or that ownership loudly proclaims, "We're Good! 2 MVPS!", and orders Morey that any improvements must be made at the margin, w/o adding significant salary?

I know which outcome I'd bet on.

11. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Story of their life. I had thought they were under by 600 k or so, but figured I'd report the numbers as listed.

I was surprised when I read it; I was stunned that they actually intended to pay tax, given the extra year on WB's contract versus Paul's.

Thanks for the better data.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

considering the rockets obviously needed some role players to fill the void of other guys either sucking or not being ready for the playoffs, I'd say making that same mistake again shows plenty on ownership which isn't good.

Gray_Jay and Der Rabbi like this.
  13. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Not after Harden said we'll win a title soon. Tilman prob in full savings mode right now.

14. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

I don’t think anyone wants Shumpert at this point in his career. That’s why no one signed him an offer sheet as a free agent. Remember, this was the guy that Morey gave up a 1st rd draft pick to get, and it didn’t have anything to do with Tilman.

15. treyk3

treyk3 Member

lol. He gave up a first rounder to dump Knight's salary. It had everything to do with Tilman.

slothy420, Erbnwarfare, Nook and 5 others like this.
  16. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

Tilman paid Iko to put out htis article. Another Tilman Slurper

17. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I agree. Both that it was and would again be a mistake. And that doing so would reflect badly on ownership.

18. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

There are three routes that Shump can go out in a SnT:
    1. Traded for another player
    2. Traded into another team's cap space
      • ATL is only team with cap space - Shump could be useful wing depth
    3. Traded into another team's TPE
      • MEM has a sizeable TPE ($7 MM) and is in asset collection mode
    #1 would essentially lock us into paying the luxury tax before seeing how the team performs - is there a role player available that is "worth" this risk?
    #2 and #3 would give us the ability to stay under the tax now, while giving us the option to take on salary later in the year if the "right" guy is available

Most likely, we let Shumpert walk and lose his contract as an asset. But in the dog days of summer, no harm in discussing the possibilities.

As an aside, I'm very interested to see what the Rockets' plans are with Nene. He's not getting near $4 MM in the open market, and he hasn't announced anything IRT retirement. Why did he leave that money on the table?

JoeBarelyCares, xaos and Gray_Jay like this.
  19. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Whether a team wants Shumpert on their squad has very little to do with his actual basketball skills, and everything to do with his contract's ability to enable the team to rid themselves of an undesirable longer term and/or more expensive financial obligation. Even if the player being shipped out is a much better player than Shumpert. If the Rockets are including goodies with the deal, so much the better.

As for giving up a FRP to get, see @treyk3 's post.

20. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Two questions on your post. 1, what would the Rockets be receiving in your option 2 or 3 above? I can't see draft picks being sent back for the privilege of paying Shumpert to play for them. Adding a player puts the Rockets back over the tax, potentially.

On Nene, I thought the rumor was the Rockets were going to give him a coaching sinecure, for more total overall money than he'd have made this year? In exchange for him doing the Rockets a solid with respect to his deal this year.

Great illustration of the Rockets' options with Shumpert.