1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Iko implies Smith was at the top of Houston's board...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Jun 27, 2022.

1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

If this is true, it goes a long way to explaining why Orlando was so secretive. Specifically, if Orlando knew (1) Chet was at the top of OKC's board, and (2) Smith was at the top of Houston's, then, potentially, they could possibly convince Houston to give up assets and move up to land Smith, in which case Orlando would still get their guy at 3. Interesting stuff.

https://theathletic.com/3383768/202...ri-smith-john-wall/?source=emp_shared_article

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

We will never know, but it's always fun to troll Orlando

Bo6, UTSA2step, ajc123 and 24 others like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’d say the same thing to make me look good

Orlando thought they were running some sort of elaborate game, but they just looked stupid to me

Bo6, UTSA2step, ajc123 and 37 others like this.
  4. The geth & the reaper

That leak that Banchero was 6’10 and a half barefoot was really suspicious. Standing next to Jabari also 6’10 doesn’t quite fit that, an interesting plant from the Rockets

5. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

We will never know who was #1 but we can 100% confirm the rockets did want Tari and TyTy since @ch44 pretty much let us know.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't think Iko is implying Smith was top of their board. He is flat out saying Smith was top of their board. Orlando didn't do their shenigans because they thought Paolo was on top of the Rockets board. Orlando wanted Paolo, and knew/guessed Smith was on top of the Rockets board.

ajc123, noppeper, Trackwell and 13 others like this.
  7. jogo

jogo Member

It's true that we will never really know.

If we really wanted Smith, then we played this well. If we really wanted Paulo, then we played this horribly. Two drafts in a row now we make a giant statement about who we want and it seems like a pattern to me. I think it's best to shut up and not hype any prospect. I didn't want Banchero so I'm happy with how it turned out.

Dobbizzle, D-rock and mario_v like this.
  8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Smith was at the of my board. I just never thought we had a chance at picking him so I looked elsewhere.

9. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

MY ONLY CONCERN

If Smith was at the top of the Rocket's Board as stated, why in the hell would Rafael take all of the full allotted 5 mins to make the pick and why would he be accepting phone calls during those 5 mins??

IF THAT'S THE #1 PLAYER ON YOUR BOARD....DON'T HESITATE

fryjol7 likes this.
  10. xWiCkeDx

xWiCkeDx Member

You still do your due diligence and take phone calls on the off chance that you get a wild offer.

11. alethios

alethios Member

Stone playing chess while Orlando played checkers.

12. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Probably posturing, but I would say the same thing if I was in Stone's shoes. Orlando is still stupid trying to mind game in a consensus 3 men draft (with no consensus #1) even though they have the 1st pick. If they truly wanted to mind game a team, they should've hyped up Chet. Chet is such a Presti pick.

D-rock likes this.
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He had to call Smith. Also, I'm not sure if picks are announced are when team tells NBA who they are picking. The show is a show.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So Stone DIDNT show his hand early or is going only after Seattle players?? Go figure! :rolleyes:

Another Master Class in drafting by Rafael Stone - put some respect on his name!

Drift Monkey and RudyTBag like this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Orlando: Paolo was #1 on our board
    OKC: Chet was #1 on our board
    Houston: Jabari was #1 on our board
    Sacramento: Keegan Murray was #1 on our board
    Detroit: Jaden was #1 on our board
    Also Houston: Tari, TyTy and Trevor Hudgins were top 5 on our board

[​IMG]

16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Those five minutes are for due diligence. What is the benefit of making a quick selection? Do we get bonus points or something? You're asking why he would accept phone calls during that time. I'm wondering why he wouldn't. That's his freaking job.

17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

All that is left is for Chad Ford to "modify" his final mock!

19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Not saying Caserio is better BUT when he made his picks, especially after everyone thought they were going to take Breece Hall with the 2nd pick, he wasted no time and took Jalen Pitre IMMEDIATELY.

I'm not being negative, because I LOVE the pick but if the #1 player on your board is there and you thought at the beginning of the night you were going to be picking the #2 or #3 player on your board....YOU RUN TO THE PODIUM

raining threes likes this.
  20. csc177

csc177 Member

Gotta field phone calls (just in case)