1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[IKE RELIEF] Donations and Delivery

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by IROC it, Sep 14, 2008.

1. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

PURPOSE:
    We will be organizing a Hurricane Ike Relief Drive at our church in an effort to gather canned foods, bottled water, clothing, etc. to be delivered to those in need of these basic items that have suffered loss as a result of Hurricane Ike.

Our church is in the Dallas area in Richardson, TX .

How this works in our case:
    We are connected to several churches within our fellowship in Brazoria County, Harris County and Galveston County. As tragedies in the recent past have shown, they will have people in their churches that may need assistance, and people that will seek help from their churches in the coming weeks ahead.

Types of Donations:
    We will primarily seek canned foods and bottled water, along with nice, lightly used or new, clothing and shoes for children of all ages. If you would like to make a cash or gift card (grocery store) donation, we can accept them under certain criteria, as we are a 501c3, and must issue receipts for gifts over $250 - please email me through the board for details. We also have a website that allows for direct donations from credit cards, etc.

HOURS of COLLECTION for 1st Drive:
    We will collect these items on Sunday the 14th (today) from 9:00 AM - about Noon, and again on Wednesday evening from around 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM if any one is interested in helping our efforts become a success.

We will also most likely receive items on Saturday, the 20th ( I will update the times), and the following Sunday, the 21st (similar hours as today) before making our first trip to the Gulf Coast early the next week as possible. I will be in contact with more than one church in the affected communities and allow them to be distribution points. This worked for past efforts beautifully.

PAST HISTORY:
    We have had a food pantry for our local community in operation since 2003, and we took three loads of relief items to those in need after Katrina and Rita. We filled up a 15 passenger van, and a 6'x12' uhaul for our largest trip down, and two pick-up w/trailer loads on either side of that trip.

I will update our church website, and provide the link here as possible.

The national fellowship had already begun to respond by preparing to send in the "Convoy of Hope." If they are not already en route to the hardest hit areas, I would be surprised.

If you feel more comfortable making a direct donation to the Convoy of Hope, I fully understand, and ask that you use their direct website to do so.

----

If you are in the Dallas area and would like to help with our smaller, more directed efforts to Brazosport and the Galveston & League City areas, please email me through the board for more details.

Thanks, and may God richly bless you for your compassion and concern.

2. IROC it

Also, by all means follow through in the usual paths you use to help, American Red Cross, United Way, your church, what have you.

I am just in charge of this "branch" of our efforts... I am certain that any help we get will go 100% to those affected by this storm.

Thanks again.

3. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Thank you IROC it. Keep up the good work.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm starting work on an Ike benefit up here in MN to help out. At the moment we will probably be looking at just raising money to go to the Red Cross or the Houston / Galveston Area United way. If there is any other donations that you think will be needed let me know. I remember during Katrina various charities providing shipping of things like clothes, bottled water and canned food down south.

An event like this should also be a reminder of why its important to give regularly even when there isn't a disaster to the Red Cross, Salvation Army and other emergency organizations. I know the Red Cross took a lot of heat from their 9/11 fundraising when they put a lot of their funds into their general fund. What many don't realize is that by the time a disaster strikes its almost too late for a donation given shortly after the disaster to help on that disaster. The Red Cross is an emergency response organization so most of their efforts are in the immediate aftermath of the disaster or even right before it in putting resources. To do that they have to rely on their general funds to do so. In fact because Ike was so close to Gustav the American Red Cross is going several million in debt to pay for their response to Ike.

7. IROC it

Thanks so much to everyone getting involved in your communities to help Houston.

We can all help get through this!

BTW-Thanks for the recent email inquiries and comments. ;)

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

My wife and I are putting together a quick food drive for the Capital Area Food Bank at our respective places of employment. They're dangerously low on supplies right now due to helping with the many evacuees in the Austin area. Here's a list of what they're asking for...

Items requested:
    1) bottled water
    2) granola bars
    3) canned meats (pop-top lids)
    4) peanut butter
    5) diapers & wipes (adult and baby)
    6) personal care items (toothpaste, toothbrush, feminine products, soap, shampoo, conditioner, etc.)

Most needed items: Canned meat (pop-top lids), peanut butter, granola bars.

If you're in Austin and want to help, please email me through the board and I'll direct you where to go (we're in N. Austin).

Thanks.

#8 leroy, Sep 16, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  9. IROC it

Our Saturday hours for drop off of water, canned food, etc. is 10 AM - 1 PM.

10. IROC it

Just to inform everyone, our first trip down will be Monday, Sept. 22...

We will accept donations on Saturday the 20th if anyone in the North Dallas area would like to bring things to us to redistribute in person.

I'm taking a pick-up load first... as more comes in we will take the van and trailer again. That's the way it panned out for Katrina as well.

Thanks everyone! ;)

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Last chance today if you're in Austin. We're loading up the trailer tomorrow morning to take it to the Food Bank. please contact me through the board if you want to donate.

12. IROC it

BTW- Our first trip will be delayed due to... stomach virus symptoms unsuitable for long road trips. :(

May head down Tuesday.

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

[​IMG]

;)

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My own Ike benefit is moving forward too.

[​IMG]