1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ike bringing out the worst?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by radapharoah, Sep 18, 2008.

Tags:
  1. radapharoah

radapharoah Rookie

I know I will get flamed for this thread but it’s truly how I feel and what I noticed. Until Ike came through I never realized how many assholes there are in Houston…Before you start I know there are many great people in Houston as well and that this is probably the case in every other city…but seriously it’s like after the hurricane many people lost their decency or maybe the fall of normalcy is a signaling agent to all the garbage that resides in the city… I have experienced uncalled for road rage directed towards my family and I on several occasions, people assuming I am a treat because of the way I look and many other unfriendly/un-neighborly behavior.
    Have you guys noticed this type of negative behavior post ike?

2. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Everyone has one.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Actually, I haven't seen anything of the sort. It's been a pleasant surprise how well people have handle things. As time goes on and 50% of metro Houston still doesn't have power by next Tuesday, things could go downhill real fast.

4. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Yep... Jackasses this past week would kill for gasoline.

5. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

Republican Houstonian assholes showing their true colors.

6. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

The Democrats in Houston haven't been any better.

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I've noticed how many people have no clue how to treat a 4 way stop.

8. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

What is your basis for comparison? How do you know that people would behave any differently in another city that just got hit by a cane? So far, I haven't heard about much looting. So, that is a positive. And like a previous poster said above, there are some a-holes everywhere.

9. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Just imagine if NYC or Philly had a power outage... :eek:

10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Really dumb comment to make in any forum, but especially this one.

As for the thread radapharoah, I hear ya ... I've seen some real wastes out there and I have mostly remained within my subdivision because I haven't needed to shop or get gas much. I saw one guy go 60mph through a stop light (wasn't working) and nearly killed someone.

However, I must say I've seen a lot of good in people ... many sharing what they have. The neighbors near me ... we have really looked out for each other. One bad incident can leave a mark though, overshadowing 10 good things.

11. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Like 2/3 of Houston is probably republican, this might be a fight you can't win

12. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

The azzclowns who skip during 4 way stops would be cutting you off in traffic during any other day. It is scary though when you find an intersection where the lights are completely gone and people don't even stop and just drive through like nothing.

13. Oski2005

More like 55% tops.

14. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I think you make a very good point here despite your choice of words. A bad driver today was a bad driver yesterday. The difference is there are relatively more nutjobs out and about at a time like this.

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A disaster can either bring out the best, worst or BOTH of people.

16. radapharoah

radapharoah Rookie

This has been my biggest gripe…face to face people have been treating each other magnificently but on the road it is another case… its as if people behave as they are behind a mask

17. Oski2005

What, azzclowns? That's an inside joke around here. Well not really inside, but not as well known as I thought, apparently.

18. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

umm yeah, I think a hurricane and being out of power for a few days can make people just a little testy.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Funny story about the hurricane making people into jerks...

So I have a guy at my local bank who helped me open up my accounts, start investing, etc. He's a nice guy, known him for over a year now. We say hello to each other every time we meet, and we're on a first name basis. Never met a nicer guy.

Then the hurricane happens.

My friend and I are in the pick-up line at a local pizzeria (the only one in town that had opened up, so it was WAY packed).. I haven't shaved in several days, and I'm wearing my glasses and a hat.. so I look really different... and we're about to pick up our pizza (finally, we had ordered ahead by phone) and in comes this really annoying pushy jerk demanding we let him in front of the line so he can order and get his food faster than just waiting in line like everyone else was. Turned out this uppity jerk was my banker that I always knew as a mild-mannered genuinely nice guy.

Hurricane madness does weird things to people.

And yeah, it's a freakin 4 way stop... how hard is that concept??

20. LouisianaRocket

I guess you don't remember NYC being blacked out a few years back. They handled it pretty well for the short period of time, not sure how they would fare under 2-3 weeks without power tho. Yankee's would be too worried about finding forks to eat their finger foods.