1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[IGN]Depp, Seymour-Hoffman To Play New Batman Villains

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Chuck 4, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

2. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I forgot to add in the title that it is RUMORED. Sorry... :D

3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Wait, didn't everyone say Nolan was not going to do Penguin because he was not realistic enough? If they could do Two-Face, they can do fat boy too.

4. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

those both make sense, I always think of Hoffman as wearing a monocle anyways

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

Before MI:3 I would have said no to Phillip Seymor Hoffman...but he played a chilling villain in that movie, completely devoid of any mercy. If he can bring some of that same mentality to The Penguin as a ruthless arms dealer, I think that would work great.

Not sure about Depp as the Riddler. I mean, Depp is a master and could probably play anyone...it just depends on how they want to do The Riddler in Nolan's Batman universe. Maybe kind of make him a John Doe type nut from SEVEN. Get some of the detective style Batman involved solving clues to find who the next victim will be.

Of course, it's so soon to the 2nd film being released, I take this rumor with a gigantic grain of salt.

6. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Member

I could see this...although, I though RDJr was a terrible choice for IronMan...I was wrong...

7. no_answer

no_answer Member

8. count_dough-ku

He hasn't played many villains, but he does sleazy about as well as anyone. Check out his roles in The Talented Mr. Ripley and Punch-Drunk Love as great examples. He's be perfect as The Penguin.

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

I've seen The Talented Mr. Ripley but I don't remember much from Hoffman in it. He played a villain in Punch-Drunk Love, but he was a loud, bullyish oaf and not the type of character I would have wanted to be a Batman villian. Perhaps he had the same vibe in Ripley, I don't remember, but I needed to see a sinister, unfeeling side that Hoffman could play before I'd like him to be a Batman villian. He gave that in MI:3.

I just hope he doesn't take a page out of his HAPPINESS book and tell Batman that he's going to "pump him from behind until he comes out his ears."

10. A00man

A00man Member

Johnny Depp as the Riddler could possibly surpass Ledger as the Joker.

I really can't think of a better fit!

11. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Both of these could end up being epic. Depp as the Riddler...nothing else needs to be said. And PSH is an astounding actor...I would think they would go route of having the Penguin as more of a serious, aristocratic crime boss and less of a deformed, goofy guy.

Depp -> Riddler.
    PSH -> Penguin.
    Jolie -> Catwoman.

I would be happy with any of those three choices.

12. count_dough-ku

He plays Jude Law's buddy. He enjoys taunting Tom and is a genuine d-ck in the movie. His conflict with Tom comes "crashing to a head" so to speak. ;)

13. gucci888

gucci888 Member

That's what they were saying but it would be realistic if they just made the Penguin are regular villain rather than one with penguin soldiers w/ missles strapped to their back.

Should be interesting to see how this works out. Both are great actors IMO that could pull off those roles. Hopefully they won't try to use Depp's star power to push the movie.

14. finalsbound

finalsbound Member

BAHAHA. I totally called PSH as the Penguin. Where's that chat log....

God I love the guy so much. One of the best actors out there.

Johnny Depp is mega-talented too of course.

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

1)This was already been mentioned yesterday in one of the Dark Knight threads.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=3817752&postcount=483

2) This is all conjecture and speculation, as is the Angelia Jolie as Catwoman rumor. There's no basis for any of this and there's really no point in even talking about it right now.

16. TheMountainTop

17. YourSecretLover

i still want clayface

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hoffman would make an incredible Penguin. Depp, it should go without saying, could have his pick of Batman villains and be amazing in any role. He would have been a great Joker and he would make a great Riddler. I hope it happens. (could care less about Jolie... tired of the tabloid BS, I guess. great natural boobs, however! ;) )

19. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Sure there's a point...speculation is fun!

20. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

And that's fine. I just hope nobody's taking these "reports" as gospel.