1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(IG Live) Jalen Green on a potential KPJ-Green backcourt, "Kp know thats a scary backcourt"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jun 30, 2021.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I could link studies and everything but that would be boring and no one on the internet I've learned reads these things...but I'll ask a question.

Do people think C.Wood's motivation has always been the same throughout his career? He'd tell you himself no right? There was a point in his career where he wasn't motivated to be the best he could be.

What is and isn't inner motivation is a murky topic, but we know outside forces can influence the motivation people have to do things. A simple skinner box test reveals that you can trick people to be motivated into doing something...now can people motivate others through just words?

I think to say otherwise would be to ignore the history of coaches motivating their players. Surely everyone that's played under Phil reveal things he'd do or say that motivated them. A large part of why Jordan retired was because in his own words he had lost motivation for the sport, felt he accomplished everything, had nothing left to prove...and then he gained that motivation back.

The point here is motivation isn't some fixed state, it fluctuates based on a variety of places. Can some people lose motivation easier than others? Of course, that is just saying that some people give up quicker than others...but people can gain or lose momentum based on whatever happens in their career.

Long story short, it's really reaching for people to say Mobley's motivation is what it is (what even is it? Seems to be two different reports about that...) and will never ever change.

2. i3artow i3aller

He's actually the exact opposite of everything you just said, but some people see what they want to.

Mobley Mob - We've seen all the tape on Mobley
    Also Mobley Mob - Who's that tall guy standing next to Jalen?

3. TimDuncanDonaut

Less time on IG, more time in the gym.

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. TimDuncanDonaut

Quiet confidence vs. 'hey look at me, i'm really good'

albuster, D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. i3artow i3aller

It's not like Jalen is the only one on the gram.
    Hey look at me and my amg.

34to11, Bo6, Rockets4Life13 and 3 others like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not a Mobley fan but maybe he can win peeps over, it takes patience to wait for bigs.

JayGoogle likes this.
  7. HardenVolumeOne

It’s already started

come on y’all go easy on jalen green.. let’s not do to him what we did to James

8. TimDuncanDonaut

c'mon you know i'm a fan of harden. these young cats, evan included, got to show a lot before they're in that tier.

quietly, the draft can't come soon enough for me. not sure if i can take weeks of bickering here until a #2 is decided. :D

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

Houston might as well be Cancun or Turks and Caicos in comparison to the hellhole that is Cleveland or Detroit

10. albuster

albuster Member

This is precisely my point about drafting Green. Folks are excited about someone who is not even the best player and not in the top 10 scoring in the G League. The more important issue though with the KPJ/Green backcourt is will the Rockets have a scary defense? The Morey years have always been about offense as if that was the only thing in basketball. Offense is the other half of basketball and champion players in the past and present will always point to the importance of defense in winning championships. Let's go with Mobley and focus on defense for once since the Rockets won the championships.

D-rock and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You think it's bad now?

It's going to be a whole season long thing between Mobley-Green constantly. Watch.

Unless the other guy is a complete bust and looks like a scrub the moment he has a good game the "I told ya's" will be flying in here to make new threads.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh, it'll be career long unless it gets too one sided.

D-rock and JayGoogle like this.
  13. i3artow i3aller

It's evident that both Mobley and Green have superstar upside, but I wonder what would the narrative have been if Mobley had gone to the G League while Green attended Memphis? Jalen was forgotten about to some degree while the others drew in more national media. In a dream scenario we'd draft both of these cats, and picking between the two is about as tough as it gets. Mobley has the elite level defense that will be sure to transfer. Green has elite level offense that will do the same.

Questions about Mobley's drive (there were many games where you'd want him to just take over and he'd disappear) and ability to take those flashes of offensive potential and round them into an offensive arsenal remain. I believe Jaren Jackson Jr averaged the same amount of blocked shots in ten less mins per game. Not mentioning JJJ as a comp, but when looking at big men's combined blocks and steals they're quite close. In fact let's look at JJJ for a quick second along w some of the names Mobley is often compared to.

21.8 mpg - 513 FG% - 396 3FG% - 797 FT% - 5.9 TRB - 1.1 Ast - 0.6 Stl - 3.0 Blk
    JJJ

31.0 mpg - 560 FG% - 478 3FG% - 730 FT% - 9.0 TRB - 1.2 Ast - 1.0 Stl - 2.2 Blk
    Bosh

32.0 mpg - 623 FG% - 150 3FG% - 709 FT% - 10,4 TRB - 1.3 Ast - 1.4 Stl - 4.7 Blk
    ADisney

33.9 mpg - 578 FG% - 300 3FG% - 694 FT% - 8.7 TRB - 2.4 Ast - 0.8 Stl - 2.9 Blk
    Mobley

Mobley holds his own against them but also had the most playing time to work with. He doesn't appear to be the next AD (and that's ok, AD a freak) but he's definitely in that archetype. It should also be noted that Cal wasn't letting Davis show off his offensive game that year and he only averaged 0.5 three point attempts a game whereas Mobley (1.2) Bosh (1.5) and JJJ (2.7) were given more opportunities to showcase their shooting. The defense as stated previously will surely transfer over to the league. Offensively though he appears to be a few steps behind everyone else.

I hear how he shows the ability to hit the NBA three ball and I seriously question how real that is. Bosh for example, who shined in college, didn't fully develop his three ball until the final three years of his playing career where he shot 339% 375% and 365%. Before that his three point shooting was not so hot so to say Mobley will develop that is a huge question mark imo. Even Davis who has great touch on his shots now never developed a fully reliable three. In my mind Mobley minus the three drops his ceiling to some degree. Then there's also his lack of a post game. For someone some say is more athletic than Bosh you'd think we'd see more flashes of post dominance, but that remains to be seen.

Don't get me wrong the defense he brings is a sight to behold. I just have serious concerns about his offensive potential and don't quite see him as some weird Bosh/AD/KD/Yawnis hybrid as some have touted him to be. Given that and how the current NBA favors superstar guard play, I lean Green.

#93 i3artow i3aller, Jul 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well maybe Mobley is the best player. Just cuz he was at home chilling instead of doing a live doesnt mean he may not be the best player lol

albuster and D-rock like this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

I can see your reasoning for Green I also waffle between the 2 on a daily basis.

Regarding the 3 ball nobody is expecting him to be the next Davis Bertans. They just want him to be the next Brook Lopez who is elite defensively. Basically he just has to have the ability to hit 3s so teams can go 5 out on offense but still function as a normal defensive team on defense. It'll create a new meta as apart from AD I dont believe there is a center like that today in the NBA. Porzingis should've been this dude but ever since his injuries he became a stiff.

That's the argument for Mobley, he is a unicorn and you dont find those guys in the drsft normally. OTH there are like 8 scoring guard prospects in this draft guys like Cam Thomas, Joel Ayiyi, Tre Mann etc any of them can turn out to be the best sg of the class we never know. But as far as center prospects go Mobley the only center in this draft who has the ceiling to guard guys 1-5 and still hit 3s. JT Thor shows similar skillset but he is only 6'8 and better suited as a PF.

My dream scenario is trading Wood and picks (23,24, 1 pick next year) for no 3 and just get both. Why miss out on a future superstar? We know CWood is good but he aint a superstar while one of these two might be.

16. i3artow i3aller

Well I believe Green to also be a unicorn.
    [​IMG]

IvanLCPM, 34to11, Deuce and 6 others like this.
  17. PatBev

PatBev Member

Please don’t draft this kid lol

Crashlanded19, Salvy and Jontro like this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed, not just anyone could be top 30 in scoring in the G league.

D-rock likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Top 20

20. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Hold up, so all these people are trying to advocate spending the number 2 pick of Brook f'ing Lopez 2.0? Seriously? 1x All star, 1 x defensive 2nd team with averages of 16/6 on his career? HARD PASS. Seriously, people should stop chasing Unicorns, they're imaginary. Hell, the NBA player nicknamed the unicorn isn't even that good, why is that what we're chasing with a top pick? Absolute lunacy.

Salvy likes this.