1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you were the GM what would you do this summer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, May 27, 2016.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol I thought only Hakeem was an American Nigerian?! ;)

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Retire in Costa Rica .... Not that I want him gone , its just that Les meddles too much and I'd be done with it if I were in his shoes.

3. Chamillionaire

I like it. I think that's a playoff team right there. But we're not beating anybody in the first round with that team.

4. PeppermintCandy

Yeah this is the route I would go as well. Trying to build a championship team without drafting high or having high lottery picks to trade is just too difficult.

5. rockets13champs

Do yall think we can get Vucevic? Or Okafor?

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

JB Bickerstaff, you're no longer with the organization. I'm going to have to ask you to find a different messageboard.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I wouldn't trade Harden for anyone in this draft. The 2017 draft is more promising, and I would consider that if things don't improve, which seems to be likely unless there is considerable improvement in the near future.

#87 saleem, May 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016
  8. basketballholic

The way to build a contender around Harden is to combine as many assets as we need to acquire a young star while simultaneously moving out salary.

That means trading Ariza and Bev for as much asset value as we can get then combining those assets along with Capela, DMo, and possibly a future pick to get a young star either coming into the league or one on a rookie contract.

The caveat here is you gotta know who the young stars are. A pick-and-roll big is not a star. A star is a guy that can dominate his matchup, that can take the ball and dribble it, shoot it, and dish it at a very high level. Guys like Margo Hezonja or Jamal Murray fit the bill. There may be others.

Orlando wants a quality big? Sign and trade DMo plus Capela puts other assets for Hezonja if possible. Clear cap. Get a 6' 8" guy that can do it all on the second year of his rookie deal.

Then you buy second rounders and draft guys with proven skills like Levert, Uthoff, Brogdon, etc. Guys that you know can ball but they have some baggage, either injury, or maybe they're just a 23-year old white guy that are thought to not have any upside.

Sign a guy like Cole Aldrich to a reasonable but small contract. Offer him 3/9 and see if he goes for it. Nite you've got a cheap quality vet big that can play in your rotation.

Then use the rest of your cap space wisely this summer. No long term deals for guys that could possibly lose asset value. Try to sign Durant. If that doesn't work sign or trade for guys that fit on quality contracts. Multi-tool guys that are fast up and down. Find a player(s) that will accept a 1-year deal with a team option or with second season non-guaranteed Syu we can have cap space next summer. Look for a trade for a quality big on an ending contract like Splitter, Amir, ir possibly a value deal salary dump for PHX in Tyson Chandler.

Work with Dwight to find a suitable trade or sign-and-trade if you can convince him not to opt in.

Bottom line: Move out salary. Conbine assets to get a young star. Create cap space and use it wisely with an eye toward 2017 if we can't get Durant this summer.

9. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I've said this many times...

Fournier, Horford, and Anderson.

If this is even possible.

We need shooters.

10. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Or Conley/Fornier plus others.

Something like this.

There is also the very slim chance Durant bolts if they choke in Game 7.

Harden/Durant combo is very enticing. Especially if Durant has a say in who else comes in.

11. Since75

Since75 Member

Put a little thought into this and I think it's a Championship roster if it can be done.

These moves while not necessarily popular would have to be done:
    Trade Brewer and Beverly for draft pick(s)

Sign:
    Bazemore 4yrs./50m
    Crabbe 4yrs./50m
    Gordon 3yrs./30m
    Teletovic 2yrs/16m
    Jennings 3yrs./18

Total spent $48m of approximately $51m available due to moves.

Capela/ Dmo
    Teletovic/Beasley/Harrell
    Crabbe/Ariza/Dekker
    Bazemore/Gordon
    Harden/Jennings

All the perimeter players (except Ariza) have the ability to create off the dribble, score, and finish at the basket. Something the current team sorely misses.

That's a 10 deep versatile roster with length and shooting ability. Just gotta get a real commitment to playing a little above average defense.

Thoughts?

12. psman2

psman2 Member

A Horford and Anderson frontcourt would be a disaster on the boards and Fournier is not a good rebounder either especially if we play him at the 3.

Plus very hard to afford all three, would have to gut the roster by trading Bev, KJ, Brewer, and Ariza and renounce DMo. Horford at 25m, Fournier at least 18m for magic not to match, and Anderson another 18m+.

Better to keep DMo's small cap hold and hope for a rebound year and us up the cap space then resign him to something reasonable with a 3rd year team option. Anderson is fools gold, if he is worth some much then way has he only started 48 games in the past four years.

13. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Tank.

Rockets firmly in the midst of the treadmill of mediocrity. Firmly

14. psman2

psman2 Member

What is your opinion on Dario Saric. Colangelo was brought to start winning now. Would love to get Noel, Okafor or even Embiid from them but I don't see how with the few assets we have now, but Saric maybe could be had. Hard to develop so many rookies at one time in Philly.

Simmons is a predicted to play as a point forward and they have no PG on their roster right now. Bev would be a great 3 and D point to play with Simmons. Reports have Saric as not really fast or athletic enough to play the 3 in the NBA but could be a good stretch four for us.

Bev and Ariza would fill in nicely on the 76ers and give them some vets to help them steer toward respectability. Maybe another small asset from us could get the deal done like Harrell. The sixers could still flip Noel or Okafor for a high draft pick and take some like Murray at pick 4 or 5.

Sixers could take a large step toward making the playoffs with this roster.

Noel/Embiid
    Simmons/Harrell/23 or 26 pick
    Ariza/Covington/Grant
    Murray
    Beverely 23 or 26 pick

15. #CTCJET

#CTCJET Member

Hang out at the strip clubs with Harden and not care how successful the team is...Or fire everyone in the organization and get players who play both ends of the court combined with a coach who holds players accountable...

16. cml750

cml750 Member

Can a GM fire the owner?????;)

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If I was GM I'd be on CF every chance I could get in order to catch up and learn what I've been doing wrong these past ten years. :rolleyes: