1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you were Morey: Sell High on Jeremy Lin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by willwmc, Feb 2, 2014.

?

If you were Morey: Sell High on Jeremy Lin?

1. Yes, Sell

267 vote(s)
    59.1%
  2. No, Keep through out contract

185 vote(s)
    40.9%
  1. Clarinetmonster

Agree with all of this - and furthermore, Dragic's #s were not that great while he was here - people are putting him on this pedestal now that he's having a breakout year, but he was just another decen guard when he was here who showed some flashes, just like Jeremy.

2. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

MACHADO MACHADO MACHADO MACHADO!!!

3. qiantom1999

qiantom1999 Rookie

Dragic, Lowry, Rondo, they all suck. I would rather have CP3. Nobody trumps CP3. I win! End of thread.

4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

LOL someone is still so bitter. Was the pat on the head not good enough for you? Where did I say I wasn't happy with the direction of the team. The only reason people mention Dragic is because, in hindsight, we didn't need to avoid giving him a 4th year option or give Lin his huge contract that he obviously does not deserve. I am talking about actual money, not cap hit. I am a huge fan of both Lowry and Dragic, but I am a fan of the team first. Like I say about Lin when dumbasses like you try to accuse me of the same thing, but with Lin instead; I was here before Dragic, I am here after Dragic, and I will continue to be here after Lin.

5. Hibrido

Hibrido Member

*pats you on the head* feel better now?

6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Swap Dragic and Lin on last years team and we still go to the playoffs. Lin was important, but let's not make it out like all we did was swap Dragic for Lin and voila playoffs. Two completely different teams.

7. Crunchyball

Crunchyball Rookie

nice story bro
    hahah i guess we will never know.

:grin:

8. AVoiceInACrowd

Actually no it's not a fact. It's just your opinion. Your main argument was Netrtg and Netrtg is not an infallible determinant in judging best line-ups .

And the reason the Rockets keep going with the Beverley lineup has nothing to do with "the numbers". Do you actually believe Mchale or any nba coach chooses their starting line-up based on "the numbers"? That argument is so flawed, it's hard to believe you actually used it.

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

The lineup with Beverley has outproduced the lineup with Lin. That's fact. 100%. Airtight. That's not opinion.

If it makes you feel better to think it's an irrational thing the Rockets do, then keep on keeping on, but sorry -- you're just wrong.

10. gravityonme

gravityonme Member

I would totally sell high on Lin. Prob is with his contract trading now would be selling low. Next trade deadline.

11. Play07

Play07 Member

If you Guys have a chance turn on espn, pacers/heat you will see a teams that that have a PF that sets high screens, pnr, & pick and pop consistently for their PG. When there pg drives they always have that option to kick back out to top to their PF for the jumper.

12. TheJet

TheJet Member

[​IMG]

Are you really inferring that coaches don't use statistical evidence to determine who should start? What are they, playing rock/paper/scissors in the locker room before tip off? Maybe arm wrestling for starting spots?

Wow.

13. Play07

Play07 Member

It's a big difference from set a lazy screen from a guy that is no threat to kick back out to to for a jumper. Or watch your pg drive in and stand around at the 3 point line. If players are covered and he gets caught in lane and players are covered a bike head play may happen.

14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Come on Clutch, haven't you figured out that stats that aren't flattering to Lin probably aren't the stats we should be focusing on?

The great thing is that if the very same stat you used showed that the Lin lineup out produced the Bev lineup, we would read about it over and over in every single Bev/Lin debate thread from the pro Lin crowd.

15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Isn't this the entire reason we want to a PF like LMA, Love, or Millsap? We aren't dreaming after those players for kicks you know...

16. qiantom1999

qiantom1999 Rookie

Isn't it what Clutch has been doing?

17. steady

steady Member

I get why many say Dragic would be a better fit next to Harden. I probably agree. Dragic is now, and was at the time Lin was signed, a better shooter, with a proven ability to play next to a ball handling guard, and a better defender.

But the fact is, Dragic and the Rockets never even came close in contract negotiations. In addition to the fourth year player option, at the time, the word was that Dragic was demanding at least $10 million a year, plus a guarantee that he would start. The Rockets said thank you and good luck to that, and Goran promptly re-signed with the Suns.

I for one assumed at the time that Goran wanted to go back to Phoenix, where he had spent his first years in the league. Or he wanted to be assured a starter role which the Rockets were not prepared to guarantee him.

I still love Dragic as a player, but I agree with those who say why all the nostalgia for him? For a player who turned his back on this organization.

--

It was never Lin vs Dragic, as posts above have correctly noted. But even assuming so, the selling points for Lin at the time were that he was younger, and that he was seen at that time to have promise to be the better initial creator and number one option. We will never know, because those advantages went out the window once the Rockets signed James Harden. -- Lin's strengths became if not his weaknesses, at least much less important.

So I get the frustration with Lin, and the feeling that he does not "fit" with Harden. What I don't get is why take out that frustration on Lin? Why not give him credit for doing his best in this situation? Why instead of applauding the role Lin played in turning the Rockets' ship around this past week after those disheartening losses to Memphis, spend time wishing Dragic were here?

18. Play07

Play07 Member

Yeah that's what we need as a backup or starter. But I don't want to let go of jones in the process he's young and will develop that game on the future. Mchale knows how to run it believe it or not he did last year and the year before.

Just brought it up in this thread to give a example how other PGS we compare to ours have this option, it makes the game WAY easier for those who know Bball. That is a PGS dream basically we don't have that in Houston currently

19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

You aren't getting the point. It's not about about how often you read it. It's the tendency for some of the bigger Lin fans to absolutely dismiss the relevancy of any stat that isn't pro Lin.

The pro Lin crowd wants nothing to do with the stat because it shows that the Bev lineup is out producing the Lin lineup.

My point is if it were the other way around, the pro Lin crowd would then be saying that it's a solid stat that we can't dismiss.

20. AVoiceInACrowd

Wow. The only other option you can come up with to decide who should start is rock/paper/scissors or arm wrestling? You can't come up with the obvious answer?

How about going by what they've seen the players do in practice or in games?