1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you put an average shooting guard in Jalen Green's place, we would be a decent shooting team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Feb 28, 2024.

1. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I think we are honestly semi tanking at this point, it is clear that if something is so glaringly obvious that something is broken, that no changes to the starting lineup at all are made. I think they have given up on the play in, and we are aiming for increasing our odds of keeping the pick to OKC. Even our own commentators just mentioned how Cam and Amen come in and things immediately change, so why wouldn't there be a change to the lineup? Playing more green would tank his value, I guess demoting him would look worse? Not sure what their thought process is here.

2. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Ah No........we just have a bad offensive game style

3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Jalen being bad is an issue but overpaying for the likes of fvv and brooks to put up bench numbers Is a bigger one to me.

With the amount of money to sign fvv u figure he be the primary option putting up superstar numbers, man feels like a supporting guy most nights.

Lack of a back up center is another big issue.

Our player further down the bench aren't exactly players u would see on a playoff caliber team either. Many issues around for this season downward trend, its just Green playing poorly is just one folks like to btch the most about.

4. StroudAndYorDaddy

Meh majority of yall said no to harden

tough ****

DatRocketFan and Joe Rocket like this.
  5. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’d like to see some better shooting, but the first team I think of is the ‘18-19 Sixers. Ben Simmons’ first year as an All-Star shot 0% from 3. Embiid shot 30% and Jimmy Butler and Tobias Harris shot 33% or less. Now, that is a team with three All-Stars on it, but it’s an example that if you are doing other things right, you can live (and even thrive) with sub-par shooting. This is why, despite his atrocious shooting, I am thrilled with Amen.

#45 theDude, Mar 1, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
    topfive, Easy, clutchdabear and 2 others like this.
  6. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

If you put Caitlin Clark into the starting 5 in place of Jalen Green.

The Rockets would have more wins so far this season.

theDude, Crashlanded19, maypk and 3 others like this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

This is a bit misleading cuz the guys you mentioned apart from Amen, Jalen Green and Jeff Green aren't supposed to be shooting 3s. Landale huh? Obv he wouldn't be shooting 3s. Sengun shooting 3s aren't really part of his game just yet.

Amen we all know he can't shoot, but he makes up for it in other ways. Jeff Green is a reserve even if he can't shoot 3s that's OK.

As the OP mentioned the only problem is really Jalen Green. We can't have. A guy who takes 24 shots be a bad shooter from 3. Just replace him with Reed Sheppard and you see our offense improve next year.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  8. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Ime told us that the way this team will take a big leap is from the young players we drafted getting better.

Yeah fred and dillon are making a lot of money and we had to overpay because of the state of the team, but no one should have ever thought they were brought in to be stars.

Jalen was supposed to take a leap and Fred was supposed to be there to support him. To be a "real" PG.

Also, KPJ was supposed to be here and if he was able to keep his head on straight he may have taken the starting spot.[/QUOTE]

J.R. likes this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Can we trade Jalen to the NY Liberty for Sabrina Ionescu?

10. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

He was well below average for a shooting guard but got a pass as a rookie because of the assumption he would improve not regress.

Roomba likes this.
  11. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Some of these guys dont shoot many threes. Jalen is a major problem because he shoots so many. This is why I get pissed when Ime's subject every press conference is Sengun's defense. We are 6th in the league in defensive rating thats not the damn problem. The problem is no one can shoot.

lpbman, HardenReturns and deb4rockets like this.
  12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

[/QUOTE]

If we get harden instead of fvv this team would
    have been in a lot better place but of course we all have folks like u strongly against it

I would overpay for harden anyday over fvv. Man is just a way better floor raiser. Fvv is just there most nights

Jalen struggle is to b expected but it does look like he doing even worse than even I expected which is troubling.

but
    Folks with the stance that Paying someone 40 mil and not expecting him to b a star is just outright stupid. Brooks being paid 20 mil and not expected to b a star is a bit more plausible.

#52 DatRocketFan, Mar 1, 2024
  13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I wouldnt have paid fred anything nor dillon. Paying Harden to come here wouldve been stupid also.

Harden doesnt do anything to set the culture they are wanting to build and all he does is come here and get you a few more wins and take the ball out of the hands of guys you want to see if they can be stars. Complete waste of time with this group and gets you no closer to seeing if you have a championship level player in thede young guys.

We were able to get our answer on Jalen. Next year hopefully we can have a better guard rotation and Fred can play the role he was brought in to play.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

What culture did FVV/Dillon build? They didn't set anything. Ime is the primary reason for accountability and setting a tougher standard. FVV and JG spent a ton of time in the offseason together. Looks like that didn't do a damn thing when JG is on the verge of bust material, not only individually as a player but their chemistry between the two is nonexistent

Take the ball out of the hands of guys you want to see. You mean FVV doesn't have the ball in his hands a ton? Pretty sure he's been ball dominant all year long. He has the ball in his hands just like Harden but he's just a worse player who can't do everything harden does, nor have the level of impacting winning

a few more wins isn't a waste of time. He gets you in the playoffs. By no means is that some waste of time that's what they got FVV for to try and do so and foolishly gave him max money, except he isn't that guy. you know what's a waste of time. continuously losing. this is now year 4 in a row of it

#54 YOLO, Mar 1, 2024
    StroudAndYorDaddy likes this.
  15. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

Seriously, every time I'm about to look up the final box score, I'm expecting to see Jalen Green FG 3/13, 4/15 or 5/17. He HAS TO shoot like 9/16 to have a decent game and that's another issue with him. He brings nothing else to the table.

16. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

That's exactly my biggest complaint (and the most disapointing part). To me, that lack of improvement tells me low IQ, low work ethic during the offseason, inability to think beyond just jumping higher than other guys. And I agree 100% on the last point well, even though you said it much gentler than I would've said it. If he continues to shoot 30% or whatever, he won't be in the NBA anymore. He'd be a superstar in the Filipino league, however, so there's that.

Roomba likes this.